The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I think 2 of my dogs got skunked AND I have skunks in my barn. eeeww

Help!!!

As I was finishing up in the barn tonight one of my dogs chased what I, at first, thought was one of the barn cats past me...then I realized to my HORROR that it was a skunk. I yelled at the dog, and then another one started chasing it. It ran into my spare tack area. One of the dogs started running her head on the ground.

They definitely don't smell pretty, but not nearly as bad as I would have thought if they were really sprayed. In any case, suggestions to getting rid of the stink?

And then, getting rid of the skunk(s)?

ugh, not something I've had to deal with before.

Thank god, it's going to be mild tonight, so while I'm sure they'll think they are dying, I think all 6 dogs are staying outside tonight...sure as hell aren't sleeping in the bed as usual!!!

PLEASE, please help!!!!
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

Baking soda, peroxide, a little bit of dish soap, add water to make a runny paste. Smear on dog, leave on for at least 10 mins, longer if possible, and then wash off.

My dog would get skunked multiple times a year. LOL. That works as well as anything, better than tomato juice.

As for the skunks, if you trap them with a have a heart, make sure you have some tarps to throw over the cage.

You can also use a really big tube of baking soda toothpaste (not gel), leave it on, and rinse. The dog will not only be deskunked, but will be minty fresh. And I'm sorry to tell you that your nose becomes used to stench quickly, and you probably can't smell how bad the dogs stink. Some dogs never learn about skunk chasing equaling stench, so watch them or they do it again.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

We had skunks living under the tack room. I was a very sad barn owner for a while. Then we went to Lowe's and bought some rodent repellant. It smells awful, but it works and the skunks moved out...
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

For bathing:

1. In the plastic container, combine 1 quart hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda and 1 to 2 teaspoons of liquid soap. Add lukewarm water if needed (for larger dogs). Mix ingredients well. The solution will fizz, as a chemical reaction is occurring. Use immediately - do not store.
    2. Do not soak your dog with water prior to bathing. Promptly begin cleansing the affected areas thoroughly, massaging the solution deep into your dog's coat. You may wish to use a sponge or washcloth. Avoid getting the solution in the eyes, ears or mouth.
    3. Allow the solution to remain on your dog for at least five minutes (longer if strong odor persists).
    4. Rinse your dog well with lukewarm water. Repeat steps 3-5 as necessary until odor is gone.

THIS!!! Works like a charm!!!

As for getting rid of the skunks and keeping them away, get a bottle of ammonia and spray it around the perimiter of the barn. Also put some mothballs around areas they may try and go (under a deck,etc)
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

I have trained my dogs that chasing cats is strictly forbidden, so mabey that is why they dont go after the several year resident skunk who lives in the barn. We let him live there because he really dosen't bother anything and in fact has been quite beneficial. Please read the wasp yellow jacket thread.

Come late in the evening when all is quiet the skunks will leave. But if there are dogs around or you, they will stay put. When they leave you must right away fix where they are coming in. Or this will happen again and again.

Or trap the skunk, and shoot in the cage. Relocating it means you pass on mr. skunk to somebody else and you have a huge risk of being sprayed.

Great horned owls are the #1 enemy to skunks. They have no sense of smell so they prey on skunks. #2 enemy to skunks are cars. We have many skunks here, and I have trapped and shot many.

We have some very lovely owls who prey on the skunks here at our place. I think they got one night before last. Few days ago I smelled skunk fairly strong, but not in the house. The next HUGE skunk smell in the house, about 2am. Which means it was really close to our house. The next night (last night) no smell whatsoever. Since we have no cats at all on our property - ever - (we are allergic big time, and they kill the birds I have found) we have lots of birds which stay close to the house. This includes owls. I probably will hear them in a night or two hooting back and forth. Neat! When I smell a HUGE smell, then never any more, I know mr owl got a skunk. We have foxes too.

And yes, my 2 toy manchesters were sprayed in our yard, about 5' from our back door early in the morning a long while back. That is when I got super pissed and went on a skunk trapping rampage. I have been quite successful. Now I have help. The owls. But the trap is the best way.

Do you have barn cats? If you do and you're leaving food out for them, you will acquire skunks. Were I in your shoes, I'd trap them.

As far as the dogs, my guy got skunked at close range multiple times in one month. (neighbors were putting out catfood for their outdoor kitty right next to my fence.)

Anyway...since his face was what got nailed the most, I used Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo on the face. Used regular ol' dove shampoo on his body. It was 4am so I didn't have the option to go buy anything else.

Had to go to the vet the next day and they said they couldn't smell it. I on the other hand, had a nose full of skunk for a few days.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Vinegar and water douche. Totally soak dog with the douche. Leave on. Do not rinse. You can lightly towel dry. Dog will smell like a salad. Make sure the douche is fresh. I had some bottles around for about 3 years and they did not work as well as brand new bottles.
    You can probably figure out a homemade vinegar and water mixture that would work. However the douche comes in a convenient applicator. It works especially well on the face. I don't screw on the extension piece.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Well the peroxide/baking soda/detergent worked pretty well. One dog is back to smelling normal. The other is still a little stinky. Worse part for all of us was the cold baths outside at 8 pm. Stinky dog is getting more baths today.

Thanks for the ideas on getting rid of them. We'll start scheming!
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

Just a post in sympathy ... Our dog got skunked 3 months ago. The Baking soda /peroxide / soap worked well BUT I can still get a wiff up close to the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by LoriO View Post
    For bathing:

1. In the plastic container, combine 1 quart hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda and 1 to 2 teaspoons of liquid soap. Add lukewarm water if needed (for larger dogs). Mix ingredients well. The solution will fizz, as a chemical reaction is occurring. Use immediately - do not store.
    2. Do not soak your dog with water prior to bathing. Promptly begin cleansing the affected areas thoroughly, massaging the solution deep into your dog's coat. You may wish to use a sponge or washcloth. Avoid getting the solution in the eyes, ears or mouth.
    3. Allow the solution to remain on your dog for at least five minutes (longer if strong odor persists).
    4. Rinse your dog well with lukewarm water. Repeat steps 3-5 as necessary until odor is gone.
    Oh, & this remedy/procedure also works if one's husband has been sprayed by a skunk, but just be prepared that husbands can be a bit more ornery about it than dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by LoriO View Post
    For bathing:

Oh, & this remedy/procedure also works if one's husband has been sprayed by a skunk, but just be prepared that husbands can be a bit more ornery about the procedure than dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post
    Come late in the evening when all is quiet the skunks will leave. But if there are dogs around or you, they will stay put. When they leave you must right away fix where they are coming in. Or this will happen again and again.

Or trap the skunk, and shoot in the cage. Relocating it means you pass on mr. skunk to somebody else and you have a huge risk of being sprayed.

Great horned owls are the #1 enemy to skunks. They have no sense of smell so they prey on skunks. #2 enemy to skunks are cars. We have many skunks here, and I have trapped and shot many.

We have some very lovely owls who prey on the skunks here at our place. I think they got one night before last. Few days ago I smelled skunk fairly strong, but not in the house. The next HUGE skunk smell in the house, about 2am. Which means it was really close to our house. The next night (last night) no smell whatsoever. Since we have no cats at all on our property - ever - (we are allergic big time, and they kill the birds I have found) we have lots of birds which stay close to the house. This includes owls. I probably will hear them in a night or two hooting back and forth. Neat! When I smell a HUGE smell, then never any more, I know mr owl got a skunk. We have foxes too.

And yes, my 2 toy manchesters were sprayed in our yard, about 5' from our back door early in the morning a long while back. That is when I got super pissed and went on a skunk trapping rampage. I have been quite successful. Now I have help. The owls. But the trap is the best way.
    Sorry, but I both don't understand your reasoning or desire to shoot skunks. Outside of inconvenience, they're a positive part of the environment. Feasting on rodents, lawn grubs - including Yellow Jacket Wasp nests, etc., etc.

I find it absolutely offensive when someone feels the need to kill, kill, kill, when no killing is necessary. So sorry you're SO inconvenienced that you feel so hungry to kill, shoot, & dispose of something that's getting in your way. Your poor little itty bitty Toy Manchester Terriers. I feel so sorry for them. But not in the way you think. How very, Very, VERY sad for any wildlife that lives in your area. And so glad I don't live near you.

For the liquid soap, I've always used Dawn. I guess the skunk spray is an oil, and this helps lift the oil along with the peroxide and baking soda. I've used this concoction a few times, and it's not perfect, but sure helps!!!
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Sorry, but I both don't understand your reasoning or desire to shoot skunks. Outside of inconvenience, they're a positive part of the environment. Feasting on rodents, lawn grubs - including Yellow Jacket Wasp nests, etc., etc.

I find it absolutely offensive when someone feels the need to kill, kill, kill, when no killing is necessary. And so glad I don't live near you.
    When you have a stinky encounter with a skunk then you will think otherwise. I guess you have never had ALL your tack sprayed, or any hay sprayed. I can not tell you all the "encounters" we have had, and our neighbors have had, well I could but I don't want to get long on this. OMG, the list is long. And my neighbors are happy when skunks get shot.

BTW when skunks, possums, coons, get shot and killed, the buzzards get fed. So where is the harm in that? They are such magnificent birds, they gotta eat, and something has to die for them to do so.

Right now there are many many dead skunks on the road. Their breeding season is coming up in Feb. I am sure drivers aim for a live skunk, oh yeah, coming at ya sucker! ha ha. Nobody thinks a skunk is a positive part of the environment. And if you think so, there are many skunks for you to make as a pet. IOW there are adoption places.

Carry on.

Even just plain blue Dawn goes a dandy job.

Have been told shooting them is more humane than relocating them as they don't fare well in a new environment when relocated.

In our part of Texas, rabies is a big deal ( rabies capital of the state, if not the country), shooting is preferable as skunks are big carriers of rabies.

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post
    When you have a stinky encounter with a skunk then you will think otherwise. I guess you have never had ALL your tack sprayed, or any hay sprayed. I can not tell you all the "encounters" we have had, and our neighbors have had, well I could but I don't want to get long on this. OMG, the list is long. And my neighbors are happy when skunks get shot.

BTW when skunks, possums, coons, get shot and killed, the buzzards get fed. So where is the harm in that? They are such magnificent birds, they gotta eat, and something has to die for them to do so.

Right now there are many many dead skunks on the road. Their breeding season is coming up in Feb. I am sure drivers aim for a live skunk, oh yeah, coming at ya sucker! ha ha. Nobody thinks a skunk is a positive part of the environment. And if you think so, there are many skunks for you to make as a pet. IOW there are adoption places.

Carry on.
    Sorry Toots, but yes, we've had several encounters with skunks. Just getting sprayed doesn't automatically mean Armageddon around here. Nor should it be for anyone else. And you think gunning &/or running down "skunks, possums, coons, etc. etc." is okay because you're feeding the vultures?? Oh, & your remark that "Nobody thinks a skunk is a positive part of the environment" is so ignorant it's laughable. Maybe take a dictionary in hand, learn your ABC's & do some reading on skunks. You may actually learn something. No - you probably won't.

[edit]
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Jan. 24, 2013 at 01:09 PM. Reason: language/personal commentary

While I agree that skunks provide some benefits, there are definitely health concerns when you have horses or other animals in close proximity to skunks.

They are known carriers of rabies, EPM and baylisascaris (round worm). Same goes for raccoons and opossums.

I would not want them bedding down in my barn. Nor would I want to be exposing the dogs and cats to them if I could prevent it.

Live traps can be an option IF you live in an area where you're allowed to transplant them. That is illegal in some areas.

The best bet is to try to find ways to prevent them from WANTING to be in your barn.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

2 members found this post helpful.