The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Golf cart or wheelchair availability at WEF? Going this weekend...

My dad and I are going to Wellyworld this weekend on kind of a last minute basis. He's fairly mobile for routine day-to-day things but for a show as big as WEF he will need some help getting around.

I'm assuming/hoping there are golf carts or wheelchairs made available for people like him. Is that true? Do I need to book them ahead of time? Any idea of who I would contact?

Lots of questions...thanks in advance for any guidance.

You can rent a golf cart, as far as I know the only thing free that you could do is park at the gate and have the 'shuttle' golf cart drop you off down near the rings, but I am not sure how you get back then. I would recommend renting a golf cart! Hope that helps!

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

You can rent a golf cart through Dever; they generally require a 3 day minimum, and I'd definitely call in advance: https://www.deverinc.com/form_view.p...#WinterCircuit

Here is a map of the grounds:http://www.equestriansport.com/esp/p...s/PBIECMap.pdf

You might try calling the show management and asking about their accommodation for disabled spectators. Worth a shot:

Equestrian Sport Productions, LLC
    14440 Pierson Rd
    Wellington , FL 33414
    Tel: 561-793-5867

​Have fun!
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Call Dever -- I rented a gold cart for ONE day for my Dad a year ago. He also was limited in mobility. Dever was more than glad to do a one day rental (although the daily rate was higher) and it was more than affordable. My Dad at 90 got to see his grand-daughter show at WEF - it was amazing for him and her.

Tell Dever that your father has limited mobility when you ask about the rental.

1 members found this post helpful.

Definately call Dever, but as of last season, the grounds were not very user friendly for those needing help. Unless you are just going to the International ring. The carts only can go so far, then you have to walk, If you are just going to watch, I almost think a wheel chair would be eaiser, park in spectator parking, shuttle to entrance, you can push chair around the upper area and see the GP ring, and also see two of the jumper rings, and maybe even two eq/hunter rings But once you go down to the barns I think it would be very difficult to move arround, and the carts only can go so far.

Talk to Dever. Maybe a cart that will also fit the wheelchair so you can use both as needed? They'll be able to advise.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Thank so much everyone! We don't have a wheelchair since he's been getting around fairly well with a cane. It's only for big sprawling events like this that walking becomes problematic. We did Burghley two years ago and he wouldn't have seen much of it without those fabulous motorized carts they rented out.

I guess it's a little troubling to hear that the golf cart can't get around the whole show ground. I'll call Dever as several have wisely suggested and see if they have any ideas.

ETA- I just called and they're sticking to their "3 day minimum" policy. And we just need it for Saturday. So there goes that. Maybe it was a moot point if the carts had limited access anyway!

More than likely you can get a cart the day you get there for that day. Unused inventory sitting around.

Check out medical equipment rental companies for wheelchairs. Lots of people only need them for a short time when they get out of the hospital, so they rent them. Even regular equipment rental places may be worth a shot, as they may rent them just for the day.

The grounds aren't that big once you get to the rings, unless you are going out to the pony rings. You can drive right down the main road, in the stabling area, and park in the handicapped spots right by the office and it's not a far walk from there to the international ring. Not close, but not terrible.

If I need to get from one end of the grounds to the other, I just flag people down when the pass in their golf cart and ask for a ride. So don't be shy. Most people don't mind one bit if someone hops on the back seat. I also stop and give rides to anyone I see walking. Just a bit of common courtsey.

I don't have my golf cart there, because nothing is that far, but If I did, I'd loan it to you. Perhaps someone here will step up????

<<I just flag people down when the pass in their golf cart and ask for a ride.

Now there's a great idea. I'm not shy, at least not when it comes to helping dear old dad.

Knowing COTH'er generosity - please no one step forward with a loaner. I'm much more nervous with other people's "things" than I am with my own, and would probably send the cart into the first tree! Thank you llsc for the the lovely thought.