The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fleshy Mouth Pony

We recently purchased a fleshy mouth medium hunter pony who was going in a plain dee ring snaffle and had little pinches on her bars when we got her (and going well. What a saint!). Need to change her bit to something that's not going to pinch.

Any opinions about the JP bits? Everyone I spoke with had a suggestion of a few different bits, but the JP dee ring and full cheek are the only suggestions I could find in a 4.

Also, she is ridden by a kid with good hands, but not fully educated. I don't want to put a Pelham or anything like that on her.

Suggestions for other bits for fleshy mouth ponies, size 4, and opinions on JP bits would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Not exactly sure what you mean, but we had a marvellous POA who had very thick lips which would fold in over the bars and get squeezed by the bit.
    We put her in a nathe and she went super in it; she was never strong, but made it obvious she could not take the pinching.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Quote Originally Posted by PHF View Post
    We recently purchased a fleshy mouth medium hunter pony who was going in a plain dee ring snaffle and had little pinches on her bars when we got her (and going well. What a saint!). Need to change her bit to something that's not going to pinch.

Any opinions about the JP bits? Everyone I spoke with had a suggestion of a few different bits, but the JP dee ring and full cheek are the only suggestions I could find in a 4.

Also, she is ridden by a kid with good hands, but not fully educated. I don't want to put a Pelham or anything like that on her.

Suggestions for other bits for fleshy mouth ponies, size 4, and opinions on JP bits would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    My Arab really his JP Korsteel oval mouth eggbutts. I've not tried one of their single jointed bits on him purely because I tried a different brand single joint on him and he reared and acted like I was trying to kill him. I then got the oval mouth eggbutt because it was the only thing the local tack store had in his 4 3/4" size with two joints. That was 4 years ago and he goes will in those so I've just stuck with it. I have several of the same bit for my different bridles. They all look new and have held up really well. I'd recommend them to anyone.

http://www.equestriancollections.com...&bc=242&cc=755 These all come in 4"

I had a very fleshy jumper gelding that was very fussy about bits. We ended up riding him in a happy mouth mullen snaffle.

I think I would try to borrow a few different bits.

I'd guess she has a large tongue, too (ours did) so she can use her tongue to help her if she has a bit with a bar-like figuration, mullen, Nathe, etc., or double joint. I'd buy the bit a bit too big if you cannot find one small enough, as long as she is comfortable. I see the JP has a rubber coated mouthpiece. The worst thing for our pony was a curb, esp. with a child.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique