The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Eventing near NYC

I have been accepted to Columbia for a one year master's program and as a life-long eventer and H-A pony clubber am desperate to find a place for my horse. I know that getting out there everyday won't happen so knowing that he is someplace safe and somewhere that I can get someone to ride him a couple times a week is crucial! Any suggestions or leads are greatly appreciated!

There's at least one barn on LI that you can take a train to, but... it's not an eventing barn (there aren't any on LI). Closest eventing barn north of Manhattan is in North Salem (North Chatham?), CT. And it's not accessible via public transportation.

Otherwise, it's NJ -- I started a thread on that a few days ago, so if you scroll down the list you'll find it.

Where are you coming from? Boarding is very expensive in this area -- you'll want to be prepared for that...

Speaking as an H/J rider who's been riding while living in the city for the past two years now: NJ is much easier to get to than LI or Westchester. Get a Zipcar or Hertz on Demand membership (hourly car rentals) and forget about public transportation.

I'm sure there are a number of good eventing barns in Hunterdon County. That's where I ride (BNT H/J barn) and it takes about an hour or an hour and a half each way, demanding on traffic. I make it out twice a week; I wouldn't expect to make it out more often unfortunately, unless you have a really flexible schedule.

The key question is whether or not you will have access to a car. There's a good eventing barn called Riverhorse Farm in North Salem, NY http://www.riverhorsefarm.com .

There's also a thread from a while ago on this topic that has some good info.
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...Barns-near-NYC

Unfortunately, anywhere near NYC will be quite expensive.

Eventing doesn't exist on LI anymore, except for a few "baby" events for people looking to get their feet wet riding outside of a ring. NJ would be your best bet and the most easily accessible, although surely you will find options in Westchester as well. I suggest renting a car over public transportation, as Tha Ridge suggested.

How far are you willing to travel? and will you have a car?
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Thank you so much for all the replies. I will be bringing a car for the sole purpose of getting to the barn , but I would like to keep it under 90 minutes one way. It is going to be a very expensive year in general but its worth the opportunities!

Hey good luck finding some place, some eventing barns in Long Valley and Tewksbury that without traffic are in your travel distance.

Also, if for some reason the car doesn't work out, you can take the NJ commuter rail to Morristown and then take a cab to whatever Hilltop is now, Crew Hill I think, or to the Morris County public stables (privatly run) sorry I can't remember what its called, its been MANY years since I lived around there. Both of those barns are h/j, and less than 3 miles from the train station. Good luck!

What kind of a barn are you looking for? Serious competition and major training or a nice varn maybe a little farther away with good stuff just not at thetop levels?
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"