The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What to feed the laid up OTTB?

Sooo....what do you all do about feeding a laid up racehorse(ex).I recently retired our boy from the track,he's five.He fractured a sesamoid so he'll be on turnout for qquite some time in a small medical paddock.I've been tranqing him for turnout.I'm thinking I should go with a small amount of high fat grain/pellet and lots of hay.He is on lots of hay and totally timothy dengie but I don't want him to lose any weight but also want him to be as quiet as possible.He gets about 2 1/2 lbs strategy am and also pm.I've never been a strategy fan,but thought I'd try it since that's what most of the horses at the barn eat.He was on tons of sweet feed before,ugh.I've had him with me(boarded) for about two months now.He's a real sweetheart but of course is full of himself for turnout.Ideas?

As much hay as I can stuff in them, and a ration balancer.

I rather them lose a little weight than be climbing the walls. Tranq for turnout and try not to get too concerned about his weight, unless he looks really poor. Then maybe a little high fat/high fiber/low starch (a lb or two).

I second the idea of the ration balancer at the very least, depending on how he holds his weight on free choice hay. If you need something just a bit more than that, look at a Lite feed. If you need more than THAT, then a good Growth or Sr feed, low in sugar (ie Triple Crown)

He NEEDS protein to heal well. Fat may be needed for calories and his metabolism, but make SURE he's getting plenty of quality protein.

The Horse actually published a study done on that, citing how important dietary protein is for healing, even the sedentary horse. Far too many people reduce nutrition for the sake of reducing calories, when that's the wrong thing to do.

Could she just add triamino and a good mineral vitamin supplement to really good quality hay? I know the last time I had a horse on stall rest for a broken bone it also inconveniently had colitis (Lou Lou) so we did that and soaked alfalfa cubes.. Eventually soaked very soft orchard grass/alfalfa and one of Uckeles bone formulas, I dont remember all the details other than that..
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Thank you...any thoughts on a ration balancer that you like?And what should I use to up the protein?Should I get a "bone" product?

EqT, I always suggest an RB because they are dead easy. A cup or two, and away you go.

OP, any of the decent feed brands should have an RB. My choice is the Pennfield version (which I still call All Phase, but I think it is called something else now). You should not need more protein, as RBs are intentionally high in protein. If you go the vit/min supplement route THEN you would probably want to add something like Triamino.

Thank you!

Triple Crown 30% is a great ration balancer.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

When my horse had a fall with bony fragmentation, my vet recommended Platinum Performance so that he would have all minerals available for good healing. I use the SmartPak version and have had fantastic results. I'd add that to ration balancer, give him high quality hay, and consider ranitidine to mitigate stress from being in stall. It's inexpensive and I've had good results with it as well.

All the ration balancers are good enough for this. Some are a little better, but even the "worst" ones are still quite fine.

I'm not sure I'd add a v/m supplement on top of a full serving of a RB. Some things could be overloaded at that point.

If the horse can't take a RB, either because of the calories or the soy, then something like Tri-Amino is an excellent suggestion, added to alfalfa pellets to mix it.

If you need to up calories, stick to fat and protein not sugar (like the sweet feed). That should help. I second the preventive ulcer treatment. If you're having to tranq him right now, that might be a good thing to discuss with your vet.

Also, you might think about hay nets hung around the paddock to keep him moving from spot to spot, but keeping busy eating. That may help with boredom.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    If you need to up calories, stick to fat and protein not sugar (like the sweet feed). That should help. I second the preventive ulcer treatment. If you're having to tranq him right now, that might be a good thing to discuss with your vet.

Also, you might think about hay nets hung around the paddock to keep him moving from spot to spot, but keeping busy eating. That may help with boredom.
    I second this-

Toys and small hole hay nets are your friends and ulcer preventative is a great idea.

The OP has said she doesn't want the horse to lose any weight, so she'll have to be careful with small hole nets that she doesn't reduce his intake too much.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    The OP has said she doesn't want the horse to lose any weight, so she'll have to be careful with small hole nets that she doesn't reduce his intake too much.
    Agree- you could always throw a few flakes on the ground as well. I find that my horse plays with his net and finds it entertaining. Even when he has hay thrown on the ground as well, he usually chooses to pick on his net.

Well I got the Buckeye ration balancer and I'm going to try the nibble net in his stall.He paws his hay if it's on the ground and then it gets peed on.So I'll stuff a net and keep a flake on the ground.I suppose if he doesn't hold his weight on the RB I can add some fat,like Amplify .Fingers crossed.I'm also trying to do "fun" stuff in the indoor with him to keep his life a little interesting.Any fun ideas for the bored horse are welcomed!

You can also try some alfalfa pellets, maybe a couple of pounds, and see if that works well for him