The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Leopard app fading question

How much do you think that this horse will fade? He is now rising 4 yrs old and I've read that if they are going to roan out (or if they have a graying gene), they often have done so considerably by age 4-5. Edited to add that this particular horse's breeding is unknown. Also wanted to add that I know many of the horses on that site are cute, but let's please focus on the question at hand - LOL!

http://rvrc.ca/wp-content/uploads/20...ale_appy08.jpg

More on him here including video (nice mover!): http://rvrc.ca/horses-for-sale/illusion/

I suspect his head and legs will lighten up a bit more, but you just never, ever really know.

I bought a gelding who was still DARK grey at 7 years old. He stayed that way until about 12, and everyone was so sure that he was going to be dark and handsome and dappley forever. It was only in the last few years that he started lightening up quickly, and dramatically....now at 15, he's basically completely "white" with a light scattering of grey flea bits. He still has some dark spots around his hocks and knees, and right on the edge of his flanks, but that's it.

Seven:
    https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...214_6544_n.jpg
    Eleven(ish) (ignore the date, it's incorrect!):
    https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...214_8414_n.jpg

Now:
    https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...214_9480_n.jpg

So that's some pretty drastic lightening from 11-15.

I think the color you see is probably what he will have. I
    do doubt that at 15.2 at age 4 that he will be 16+ later.
    Maybe 15.3 but not much taller. I have had two app mares
    who are the inverse of leopard, snowflake. One had lots
    of white spots on her bay coat from age 4 until she died.
    The other was a solid bay at age 2 and then shed out in
    Spring of her 3 year old year to a very dramatic color with
    white spots all over her bay coat. She has remained that
    way for the subsequent decade.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

3 members found this post helpful.

Most of the graying Apps, have "spectacles" around their eyes as foals, young horses. At his older age of coming 4, dark face shows no light color around his eyes, he may hold his color well or be an aged horse before he fades much.

He is nice looking at the moment, good color spots, with the halo around them, nice darker legs to go with the head. As others said, just real hard to predict with no information about his parents.

Enjoy him as he is, stock up on shampoo for showing him as he gains skill under saddle. Has a nice face, eyes, looks athletic though young yet. He is my favorite color, leopard spotted, dark legs and face, lucky you!

our leo app never roaned out and he kept his dark spots. he was put to sleep at age 25 b/c of penile cancer, but was fat and sassy his whole life. good luck!

Last of the Mohicans, really?
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

1 members found this post helpful.

I have an appaloosa mare that was bay with a few snowflake on her rump at birth. At the age of seven she was a varnish roan, more brown then white. The following year she roaned out almost completely white.

My stallion Waps Applause, was born bay with a blanket. He now looks like a leopard.

I have a mare, born from two roan parents, that has not roaned at all. Her full sister, born solid, now is roaning, but no appaloosa pattern, she looks like she is turning grey (no greying gene)

He might, he might not loose his color, but it will never effect his talent. He looks cute and should be a great mount. Have fun with him!

Photos of Wap Applause's. He had the blanket at two and roaned out by the time he was five.

http://www.facebook.com/GayBarsSilve...=photos_stream

My mare (by King Goer) was a solid bay when born with appy characteristics.

She had roaned quite a bit by the time she was 2 when I got her. At 19,
    she is very white and most of her varnish marks are very light. But, her big spots
    have never changed. The smaller spots come and go with the seasons - when she was younger, she had white spots thoroughout the dark part of her coat. And now that she's older, she has dark spots throughout the white (like a flea-bitten grey).

I think (personal experience with quite a few appys of the years) the blanket and snowflake appys are more prone to roaning/greying out, but not the leaopards so much.

I think that his legs will likely roan out - they won't be as black / solid in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by appdream View Post
    I have an appaloosa mare that was bay with a few snowflake on her rump at birth. At the age of seven she was a varnish roan, more brown then white. The following year she roaned out almost completely white.

My stallion Waps Applause, was born bay with a blanket. He now looks like a leopard.

I have a mare, born from two roan parents, that has not roaned at all. Her full sister, born solid, now is roaning, but no appaloosa pattern, she looks like she is turning grey (no greying gene)

He might, he might not loose his color, but it will never effect his talent. He looks cute and should be a great mount. Have fun with him!

Photos of Wap Applause's. He had the blanket at two and roaned out by the time he was five.

http://www.facebook.com/GayBarsSilve...=photos_stream
    Just wanted to say I have ALWAYS loved your stallion - very handsome man ! At one point before the horse economy tanked, I was thinking of breeding my mare to him for my next riding horse (she's a very correct mare with a resume and 3 nice gaits). But I decided not to as it would make more $$ sense to buy another rather than breed one.

Thanks Roxyllsk, He is a wonderful boy. Virginia, hand pick us for his forever home, since he held a special place in her heart.

I have not bred any mares myself for a few years, because of the economy. I am hoping to breed one mare this year. (If SO and I can come to terms.) The problem with that is, I will probably like the foal too much and not want to sell it. I have to get into that business person state of mind. LOL

Most, if not all, true leopards don't roan/fade. This horse is interesting, because there does appear to be some roaning, but I suspect he will pretty much stay the way he looks now. My horse's full brother is a leopard and he was born completely white with chestnut spots. At 10, his coat pattern remains the same as when he was born.

I think that his legs and head will go white eventuly but his black spots will remain as is.

FYI - App's in Canada can apply for a competition permit if they have unknown parents but meet some qualifications. It might be somthing to look at if you want to show him down the road.

Thanks Roxyllsk, He is a wonderful boy. Virginia, hand pick us for his forever home, since he held a special place in her heart.

I have not bred any mares myself for a few years, because of the economy. I am hoping to breed one mare this year. (If SO and I can come to terms.) The problem with that is, I will probably like the foal too much and not want to sell it. I have to get into that business person state of mind. LOL
    Even knowing I'd keep the resulting foal from my mare, it just doesn't make sense. Shame really because she is a really nice, nice mare. And I don't have a farm either, but board.

But I plan on finding a nice Wap-line baby when I'm ready for another. I have always loved them. :-)

"Even knowing I'd keep the resulting foal from my mare, it just doesn't make sense. Shame really because she is a really nice, nice mare. And I don't have a farm either, but board.

But I plan on finding a nice Wap-line baby when I'm ready for another. I have always loved them. :-)"

There is a FB page or PM me, when you are looking. You can find the one's for sale from either source.

Well first “grey” and varnish roan (in appaloosas) are totally different, and will affect the coat in different ways.

If the horse has a grey parent, and truly carries the grey gene, you can expect them to slowly turn white, and loose all of their spots, just like a grey paint horse, or a grey horse of any breed would turn white. For this reason grey is often frowned upon in appaloosas. Foals with grey gene often have “spectacles” of light hair around their eyes. I do not see signs of grey on this horse.

Then there is varnish roan, which lightens the base coat color, often leaving bony areas (bridge of the nose, knees, hocks etc) dark. In my experience, any spots the horse was born with tend to survive the roaning. I.E., if you have a bay blanket appaloosa, with spots on the blanket, once the horse roans out, you can expect to have a white horse with spots over the hips. Now, if you started out with a bay and snowcap (blanket with no spots), you can expect to end up with a white horse once the roaning is done. In foals, roan is usually not immediately evident, but may start to express in their first shed. Unlike grey, around the eyes usually stays dark, and is one of the last areas to lighten.

This horse was most likely born dark with a spotted blanket, and has since roaned, note – the spots are still dark.

This horse was most likely born dark with a snow cap blanket, notice the lack of spots now that the horse has roaned.

This horse was mostly likely born dark, with a large spotted blanket – notice how the roaning is lightening the base coat while revealing more spots.

My horse is a dark bay with a blanket, with spots and varnish roan.

She was born like this, dark bay, large spotty blanket. This is her as a yearling.

As she has aged, the varnish roan has expressed, turning the dark bay coat light, and leaving behind spots on the coat. This is her as a three year old.

The more she lightens, the more spots become evident. Her spots have NEVER faded at all, and I expect that she will “finish” as a leopard appaloosa. Bridge of nose and lower legs will be the last to lighten up.

Long story short! I do not think this guy will “lose his spots” but rather you may see a bit more lightening on the legs and the face, revealing more spots.

3 members found this post helpful.

There is a FB page or PM me, when you are looking. You can find the one's for sale from either source.
    I liked your page on FB - thanks, I appreciate the help !