The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best/Favorite Longing Cavesson?

Once my tax money is spent on some Pentosan, lol, I want to get the mare started on some ground work, and want all the proper tools.

I would like a nice quality cavesson, that is preferably not going to cost me an arm and a leg. Any favorites? I've never had the chance to try any out, so I have no idea how to tell the difference in quality from the internet.
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

Sorry! the only one I really like, now costs two arms and a leg. They are identical to those made for the SRS. A lifetime purchase, I can assure you. Well, 45+ years.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Default Working Cavesson

I love, love, love my new cavesson. It was a bit pricey, but the difference it's made has been well worth the cost.

You can find it here, http://www.oglesaddlery.com/Ogle_Sad...Equipment.html.

Or here, http://academicartofriding.com/webshop/cavesson/

This is the cavesson used in Horse Training In-Hand, http://www.amazon.com/Horse-Training...aining+in+hand

Default Lunging cavesson

Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    Sorry! the only one I really like, now costs two arms and a leg. They are identical to those made for the SRS. A lifetime purchase, I can assure you. Well, 45+ years.
    Can you tell us what the name of the manufacturer is? Since yours is 45+ years old, have you seen any current models that approximate the quality of the one you've used? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tbaymare View Post
    I love, love, love my new cavesson. It was a bit pricey, but the difference it's made has been well worth the cost.

You can find it here, http://www.oglesaddlery.com/Ogle_Sad...Equipment.html.

Or here, http://academicartofriding.com/webshop/cavesson/

This is the cavesson used in Horse Training In-Hand, http://www.amazon.com/Horse-Training...aining+in+hand
    Could you tell us how chunky the nose piece is? I have one by Dover - HATE it. It is so incredibly chunky... I'm also looking for a decent cavesson....

Tbaymare, that's actually the book I got over Christmas! And I guess $160 isn't toooooo bad, for something that is going to last a long time, and is well made.
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

Quote Originally Posted by annmcm View Post
    Can you tell us what the name of the manufacturer is? Since yours is 45+ years old, have you seen any current models that approximate the quality of the one you've used? Thanks!
    Well A year or two ago, Dover was selling a line of bridles, and cavessons manufactured for the SRS. I think they were too pricey for most, so they dropped them. But somewhere they are still making them.

It is not too dissimilar from the one above. However it has a rigid padded nose band, and broader strapping. The center ring swivels on mine.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Can't really help with brands, sorry, but I second what others have said... go ahead and spend at least an arm (if not a leg) because IME there is a VAST difference in quality between the mid-priced range and the upper end. A few years ago I tried to replace my old cavesson with something cheap-and-cheerful for school horses and youngsters, and it was a hair-tearing-out experience. If you want something that really adjusts to fit different horses, snug enough not to twist, and supple enough to avoid chafing, you'll probably be looking at $100+.

Also, a chunky noseband can be a good thing because it is less likely to slip around or cause unwanted pressure - depends though on the size and shape of the horse.
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

Can't really help with brands, sorry, but I second what others have said... go ahead and spend at least an arm (if not a leg) because IME there is a VAST difference in quality between the mid-priced range and the upper end. A few years ago I tried to replace my old cavesson with something cheap-and-cheerful for school horses and youngsters, and it was a hair-tearing-out experience. If you want something that really adjusts to fit different horses, snug enough not to twist, and supple enough to avoid chafing, you'll probably be looking at $100+.

Also, a chunky noseband can be a good thing because it is less likely to slip around or cause unwanted pressure - depends though on the size and shape of the horse.
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

I have that book as well and would have loved to get a French cavesson. I can't stand the thick monstrosities they sell at Dover and similar places. Ridiculous.

I bought this one and have been very happy with it: http://www.equus-libris.com/catalog/...id=jhbaikwrmhv The leather quality is good, there's no excess padding over the nose, it doesn't overwhelm my poor horse's face and it looks nice. They also come with optional bit hangers to attach a bit to the cavesson instead of using a bridle in addition.

I got mine on ebay, where I don't see any listed right now and unfortunately they are out on their website, you'd probably have to email them and find out when they will have more.

Quote Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
    Could you tell us how chunky the nose piece is? I have one by Dover - HATE it. It is so incredibly chunky... I'm also looking for a decent cavesson....
    Not chunky at all! It has heft to it, but it's not clunky. I'm able to be super light, no more water/ground skiing when the OTTB mare decides to take off. She doesn't even question it and had actually started to relax and stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ainsley688 View Post
    Tbaymare, that's actually the book I got over Christmas! And I guess $160 isn't toooooo bad, for something that is going to last a long time, and is well made.
    It's well made. The only issue I have with it is that there aren't any keepers on the straps. So I use braiding bands to keep the straps from flopping around. Your horse's head may be larger than my horses' heads are so it may not be an issue for you.

Default Best Cavesson

One that doesn't pinch and is held with sufficient straps to not twist and with the buckles placed well away from the eye.

Have a look at this one.

http://www.balanceinternational.com/...on_A10O5Z.aspx

The ones that the SRS uses are made by Spirig. Their website is http://www.spirigsaddlery.com. The cavesson is in the Bridles section. The main thing with most cavessons is that they have a hinge in the middle of the nose and too much padding. So if you can find one with hinges only at the sides and not much padding, it will probably be pretty good. With the hinges only at the sides, the cavesson doesn't slip around on the horse's head. It makes a big difference.

My favorite is called a Wels cavesson, modeled on that used by the SRS. It is so old, it was probably made by the same company that made theirs 45+ years ago.