The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Any Wurttemberg owners?

So our GMO is working on breed awards for our recognized shows and someone brought up Wurttembergs. We contacted the registry, and they're willing to send us some very nice breed awards. Now I'm trying to figure out whether there are actually any Wurttemberg owners out there who show dressage. Is there any way to research this? I feel bad having them go through the trouble of sending us nice awards if they won't get used.

We're in Region 2, but I'd be happy just knowing some national numbers if that's all I can get. I don't see a USDF All Breeds award for this breed.

I have one! Awesome horse!
    Sadly -Fully retired last year at 24!-I'd have come to the show just for the loot
    Hope the show is a success!!

That's a pretty small registry. I'm glad a cother has one of them.

You will find that the German registries are very helpful in giving out information about their horses.

Also, Alexandra on coth may be able to give you some help in finding out information on them.

Wurttemberg is one of the smaller registries in southern Germany. It has not really had a presence in North America, although it does now have a rep here named Susanne Lauda. Is that the person you contacted? She would probably know more about the horses here than anyone.

Also - have you tried doing a search on USEF? Go to Horse Services, Recording Search, and select Pferdezuchtverband Baden-Württemberg e. V. under breed registry. That will show you the ones whose owners identified that registry when registering the horse with USEF. There are a fair number of them listed as assigned to that registry in the database, although the "breed" info that shows up in your search results may say "Baden Wurttemberg", "Wurttemberg", or something else entirely - I think I even saw one that showed "Hanoverian" for breed, but for some reason had been assigned to Pferdezuchtverband Baden-Württemberg (maybe actually IS a Baden Wurttemberg, but the owner reported it as Hanoverian - ?) The USEF database is often a mystery, but it may give you some leads.

Once you get your list from the USEF site, you can try going to Centerline Scores or the USDF results site and plugging in the horse's or owner's name to see what you come up.

Thank you, DownYonder, that's exactly the sort of information I need. I didn't realize I could perform that search on USEF. Now I'm curious to see if they have my horse's Schleswig-Holstein registry (http://www.pferdestammbuch-sh.de/) as I've only ever seen one other horse here with his brand. I'm going to have a lot of fun when I get home.

I believe our breed awards volunteer has been working with Susanne, but I will check.

tchuki - my trainer has a retired Wurttemburg, too! It really is too bad, considering the Wurttemburg breed awards will be the nicest at our shows.

I have one in Louisville, Kentucky and would love to see some region 2 shows that offer Wurttemberg awards!

1 members found this post helpful.

Well, Derby, we're near Columbus (Ohio Dressage Society). You are always welcome to come win some breed awards at our shows.

I've met one...was stabled next to him at Paxton a few years back. Not sure if he's still on the show scene down there, but he was a cool horse!