The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default News clip of Torrance's farm

Thought people might be interested to see a little clip of Torrance Watkins' gorgeous facility in Hardwick MA. It was featured in the Mystery Main Streets segment of the Chronicle which is a Boston based show.

It is without a doubt the cleanest barn I have ever been in. When I was there last a few months ago she sent me inside for a piece of equipment and I took my boots off at the door

I wish they had shown more because it's really lovely. I have a video that I took myself but it has my voice throughout the whole thing which pretty much ruins it.

Let me know if the link works.
    http://www.wcvb.com/chronicle/This-S...3/-/index.html

Such a beautiful part of the country! I loved my short visit of the area way back when for Over the Walls!

And, Torrance's....died. I just died.

I have been there once and I was afraid to touch anything. It was beautiful.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Quote Originally Posted by FLeventer View Post
    I have been there once and I was afraid to touch anything. It was beautiful.
    Hahaha I know that feeling!

1 members found this post helpful.

It seriously looks like the horses are in a house. Painted ceilings, walls & floors, wainscoting. Actually, her barn *might* be nicer than my house!
    And the wise, Jack Daniels drinking, slow-truck-driving, veteran TB handler who took "no shit from no hoss Miss L, y'hear," said: "She aint wrapped too tight."

I can not comprehend a barn that perfect and clean. My house isn't even close. Completely in awe.

Quote Originally Posted by volvo_240 View Post
    I can not comprehend a barn that perfect and clean. My house isn't even close. Completely in awe.
    Have you met Torrance? If so you can completely understand how it can be that perfect and clean. She is completely meticulous and it is what makes her such a great rider.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

That barn is way cleaner than my house. If she saw the cobwebs in the rafters of my horse's stall, her head would probably explode.

I wonder if she'd board me??? (Not Horsie. ME.)
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

During high school, I trained with a woman who had been a working student for Torrance. She claimed they did, on occasion, literally scrub the floors with a toothbrush. I'm not clear as to whether that was punishment or to make sure the grout sparkled!
    I evented just for the Halibut.

I rode with Torrance for 3 years. She is always meticulous about everything in her domain. She was excellent in teaching me what it took to be a Team rider. Including that there's a reason for obsessive and incredible focus. She had enormous energy and drive, expected the same out of those around her. While Torrance was a task master, she also never asked me to do anything she wouldn't do herself. If the floor needed that much work to sparkle, she would have tried the toothbrush on it first. I also bet it was a wire brush, made for the purpose, because I still have one.

Torrance was also very supportive of me, too. She wanted me to do well, and believed in me. She loved the challenge of improving and polishing me. I have a lot of respect for her.
    Intermediate Riding Skills

Quote Originally Posted by whicker View Post
    I rode with Torrance for 3 years. She is always meticulous about everything in her domain. She was excellent in teaching me what it took to be a Team rider. Including that there's a reason for obsessive and incredible focus. She had enormous energy and drive, expected the same out of those around her. While Torrance was a task master, she also never asked me to do anything she wouldn't do herself. If the floor needed that much work to sparkle, she would have tried the toothbrush on it first. I also bet it was a wire brush, made for the purpose, because I still have one.

Torrance was also very supportive of me, too. She wanted me to do well, and believed in me. She loved the challenge of improving and polishing me. I have a lot of respect for her.
    Absolutely, 100% truth. I admire her both as a rider (and she is an INCREDIBLE rider and teacher) and as a person. She genuinely cares and is always willing to offer help where she can. She's been so kind and offered me amazing opportunities, and I've learned more about being a horsewoman from her than anyone else.

Couple that barn with one of these and I would call it heaven. Heck, just having that one pasture to play on would be wonderful (sigh), Oh lottery, where for art thou...

Anyone have contact information for Torrance? PM if you like. I did a google search and nothing popped up for me.
    You know you're a horse person when your mother, who has no grandchildren, gets cards addressed to Grandma, signed by the horses, cats, and dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by PonyGal08 View Post
    Anyone have contact information for Torrance? PM if you like. I did a google search and nothing popped up for me.
    You sent me on quite a journey
    Watkins may be contacted through Morningfield Farm, PO Box 308, Hardwick, MA 01037, Tel. (413) 477-0041, Fax. (413) 477-0042. Or by e-mail at morningfield@map.com.
    That from a website page that talked about the cancelling of Meadowbrook CIC*** ...It really made me sad to read that article for it does seem to dove tail into comments made by Boyd Martin, Denny Emerson, and Jimmie Wofford about the drawing back of Eventing in this country. I was floored by her accomplishments and am somewhat surprised she is not mentioned in the same comments along side Mary King or Lucinda Green. However I figure she (like Kim) may enjoy the quiet life of semi-privacy after all she's done.

Now I have to go back to work, but thanks for the side path through eventing history.

Quote Originally Posted by whicker View Post
    While Torrance was a task master, she also never asked me to do anything she wouldn't do herself. If the floor needed that much work to sparkle, she would have tried the toothbrush on it first. I also bet it was a wire brush, made for the purpose, because I still have one.
    I'm sure you are correct; I know my trainer carried with her all the meticulous barn management she learned at Torrance's. I'm not nearly so meticulous, but one thing she did ingrain in me was a technique for rolling polos (for storage, not on the horse) where they were rolled so tightly you could bounce a quarter off them. She explained that the even tension rolling them meant even tension when you went to put them on the horse. It stuck with me, and to today I cannot abide by rows of loosely rolled polos. Drives me bonkers, even though I imagine it probably preserves their elasticity more than rolling them the way we did!
    I evented just for the Halibut.

I was a working student for Torrance for a few months. I learned so much from her about cleaning, horsemanship, and riding. I was at her place before she built the new barn. She was such a stickler for neatness it was amazing. Every time we used the lorry we had to scrub it out, with a scrub brush and ivory soap(thatsher favorite soap) Those darn yellow buckets are the reason why I have black buckets, those darn things showed every little bit of dirt and scurf, and the yellow feed tubs...yikes! Scrubbing buckets like that in the winter was not a fun chore. The stalls had to be clean, without one little bit of hay or flake of poop, with the sides squared with shavings and the shavings had to be pushed back to around the middle of the stalls, swept with a straight edge. If I could be even half the neat freak she is, my place would be very tidy. Somehow, she could do all those chores with a white shirt on and not one bit of dirt would be on it. I would love to see her again, but that won't be happening anytime soon.
    Last edited by three_dayer; Jan. 25, 2013 at 06:22 PM. Reason: add on

She doesn't gallop across FIELDS, she gallops across LAWNS. Always green and freshly cut. That opening footage was breathtaking.

I still have the Washington Post magazine article about the barn fire at her farm in The Plains in the late '80s, if memory serves. I think at least two horses died--maybe more? Awful.
    "Business!” cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. “Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business.”

Four of her most talented UL horses died, and she lost all of her tack and equipment. Finvarra survived because he wasn't there. She was devastated, as she loves her horses. She had a portrait made of them by Heather St.Clair Davis. Heather, in addition to being a great artist was a high level dressage judge. She knew the horses, too. Torrance still gets teary eyed when she talks about them.
    Intermediate Riding Skills

Impossibly clean barn! I'm a Mass native myself (though from the coast); that area is such a wonderful part of the state.

Lovely clip. I just adore Torrance!