The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help! does anyone have a farrier who will do potbelly pig feet in Wagner, SC?

Posting for a friend.....anyone know of someone who will do a potbelly (large) pig? We're in Wagener SC, which is in Aiken County. She is in the SW section of the state, about 20 minutes or so from Aiken SC.

TIA!!!!
    Save a life...be an organ donor! Visit www.Transplantbuddies.org

take heavy duty hand held shear as if for rose bushes and do them yourself.

it's hardly difficult and they are not frightened by their own people.

scratch her belly til she lies down and trim the feet.

Tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

I second Tamara's suggestion.

Our 4-H program shows the kids how to do feet on calves, pigs, sheep and goats, so child is able to care for it well. Make sure the shears are sharp, don't take big cuts at first. Learn how the foot halves are shaped, view what needs removal to make your cuts, remove it calmly, keeping the animal quiet and relaxed so they are easy to work on now and later.

Sit her on her butt, leaning against your legs & trim as advised above.

When I worked as a tech 100 years ago we did pig feet...I had the temporary deafness to prove it. lol

If your friend cannot manage it on her own and no farrier is found, check w/local vets. I would also suggest having the pig sedated for this procedure...much less stressful...on everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Finzean View Post
    When I worked as a tech 100 years ago we did pig feet...I had the temporary deafness to prove it. lol

If your friend cannot manage it on her own and no farrier is found, check w/local vets. I would also suggest having the pig sedated for this procedure...much less stressful...on everyone.
    Too funny!!! They do scream, dont they????? The littlest disturbance to their fragile ego causes them to protest so loudly, it sounds like they are being murdered
    Save a life...be an organ donor! Visit www.Transplantbuddies.org

After talking my horse farrier into doing it once and watching him we do it ourselves now. There really isn't much to it. If you know someone who has done sheep or goat hooves that will help you that would be great too. I use a pair of these: http://www.jefferspet.com/supersharp.../LIV/cp/I3-S5/
    I get my son to do the actual hoof nipping and my husband and I hold the pig on his back. Get a pair of ear plugs if you have sensitive hearing.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

I feel for you. My farrier refused to do the hooves of the pot bellied pig at the barn. Fortunately, a vet who used to work at a barn I boarded at over a decade ago, then she went to vet school, is now a vet in the area. And she's always rescued PBPigs. So she trimmed the pig for me. And did some surgery on a huge growth on his testicles, a huge, huge growth, as my horse vet wouldn't do that for me. I wasn't asking for a discount, but no one but Cherise would work on a PBPig, hooves or testicles, for extra money.

And I do not own a pig!!!

And yes, the pig's tusks and hooves were trimmed while he was on the operating table having his 5 or 6 pound tumor removed. No squealing. I've seen those videos on youtube when I was contemplating trimming his hooves myself with some of the hoof trimming/shoe pulling implements I own for emergencies. I'd have had to dope him to do any trimming of anything.

Before I talked my farrier into helping me I contacted the Ag director at our local high school to see if he knew anybody who was knowlegable about goat, sheep or pig hooves. He had offered to come help me if I couldn't find anybody else. That might be a resource for you. Try FFA or 4H.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Have your friend post on Facebook or post an ad in Craigslist. There is someone in Augusta area, near here, that advertises as doing goats! I don't think my farrier would....interesting!
    Life is too short to argue with a mare! Just don't engage! It is much easier that way!

Have fun, be safe, and let the mare think it is her idea!