The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question My horse loves the mullen rubber loose ring, but now what for xcountry?!

Good new, the $10 rubber dog bone style loose ring i bought was a winner with Kieran. It's like i have a whole new horse actually haha :P He jumps great in it and flats well, thought he is always a forward horse to the jumps, i have pretty good control with it despite how mild it is. BUT, x-country is where i could run into some problems. He can get quite strong out there, and i don't think the simple loose ring is gonna cut it when he is chugging along. I have noticed that the pelham version of the rubber mullen mouth is pretty popular, though i've seen the same made in a gag. What would you recommend? Or should i stick with the simple one since he seems to like how mild it is? *Note: he goes in a running martingale when jumping

Take him out and try it. A little strong is fine on XC, as long as your aids (ALL OF THEM) are being heeded. With a horse who's happy right now with his current bit, you have plenty of opportunity to enforce/reinforce the aids to slow him down using your weight, your balance, your shoulders, and finally your hands.

But if more is what you need, how about a mullen mouth metal snaffle?
    Click here before you buy.

Vernon LOVED Nathes and HS Duos. I could get the job done in either, but I did have to pay attention and start setting him up plenty early (remember flying down to the biggest fence on his first training wondering if he was coming to look up and pay attention!). I ended up riding him in a Nathe "wonder" bit, which aren't easy to find in the US (bought mine from a COTHer). It was JUST enough more.

I would try a pelham, especially if you can find one with short shanks, or maybe a two or three ring bit. Too bad you're in NJ, or I'd let you borrow my Nathe wonder bit (will never, ever sell it, though!).

I meant to add, at least TRY it first before thinking it isn't enough.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Take him out and try it. A little strong is fine on XC, as long as your aids (ALL OF THEM) are being heeded. With a horse who's happy right now with his current bit, you have plenty of opportunity to enforce/reinforce the aids to slow him down using your weight, your balance, your shoulders, and finally your hands.

But if more is what you need, how about a mullen mouth metal snaffle?
    I definetly will see how he goes, and i hesitate to go back to metal b/c he clearly did not like the metal nearly as much (trust me, i currently own 8 bits and i have tried all on him haha :P)

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    Vernon LOVED Nathes and HS Duos. I could get the job done in either, but I did have to pay attention and start setting him up plenty early (remember flying down to the biggest fence on his first training wondering if he was coming to look up and pay attention!). I ended up riding him in a Nathe "wonder" bit, which aren't easy to find in the US (bought mine from a COTHer). It was JUST enough more.

I would try a pelham, especially if you can find one with short shanks, or maybe a two or three ring bit. Too bad you're in NJ, or I'd let you borrow my Nathe wonder bit (will never, ever sell it, though!).
    Too bad i know!! I think i have an idea of what the nathe wonder bit would be like, i trued the stubben wonder bit on him in a metal with a copper middle link, and he was alright. If i could find a wonder bit with just a mullen rubber mouth i would have hit the jackpot haha :P

8 bits? That's it? You should see my collection (granted, I inherited them from my semi-retired former boss!).

Try something with a joint. Toby goes in a Nathe on the flat, which is PERFECT. But goes in a metal french link hollow mouth to jump. Maybe a Happy Mouth with a single or double joint to jump?

you could also try a mullen rubber or happy mouth three ring (with 2 reins)- that way you could ride it on the snaffle most of the time and then you need the extra leverage for when you occasionally need it. would be somewhat similar to the wonder bit version.

Your lucky. My guy loved rubber bits too, so much he always ate them. I'd remove them with bits of rubber missing. He is a goof.

I would try it as is (your running martingale adds a little) and if you need more, I'd try the same mouthpiece with either a pelham or a 3 ring with two reins. You can also add a curb strap to the 3 ring to make it more pelham-like.

I find that horses that like the soft rubber mullen mouthpiece really go best in it, and that changing to something jointed isn't a plus.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

You could always wrap the metal with sealtex.
    Click here before you buy.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    You could always wrap the metal with sealtex.
    What exactly is sealtex? And i think what he likes about the bit i have him in now is not only the rubber aspect but the flexibility of it as well, so wrapping metal wouldn't give him that same flexability

Quote Originally Posted by katestephenson45 View Post
    What exactly is sealtex? And i think what he likes about the bit i have him in now is not only the rubber aspect but the flexibility of it as well, so wrapping metal wouldn't give him that same flexability
    Sealtex is a latex wrap that people use on bits. It has a sticky side that goes against the bit. You can get it at dover and race places as well. I think most tack shops carry it. I agree with the sealtex suggestion as well.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

1 members found this post helpful.

My former big dude went amazingly well in a mullen mouth on the flat and a mullen mouth with a lever noseband for any jumping. Worked perfectly for him.
    Proud owner of a Wee Dee Trrr
    Proud owner of a Picasso Pony

Quote Originally Posted by Wee Dee Trrr View Post
    My former big dude went amazingly well in a mullen mouth on the flat and a mullen mouth with a lever noseband for any jumping. Worked perfectly for him.
    That sounds like a good idea actually, that will probably be my first thing to try if he is too strong in it xcountry, thanks!

Yep! Hope it helps if you need it.
    Proud owner of a Wee Dee Trrr
    Proud owner of a Picasso Pony

You could try using sealtex on a waterford. Still giving but has a bit of a bump to it. Worked very well for a friend.

This is exactly what I was going to suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by event_ryder View Post
    You could try using sealtex on a waterford. Still giving but has a bit of a bump to it. Worked very well for a friend.

I liked a full cheek for steering, plus a running martingale to add a bit more control and did not need so much bit...if you are not trying to stop a train.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I would try the rubber dog bone once during a schooling.

Then try the mullen happy mouth.

I bet the happy mouth will work!!
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!