The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Saddle fit (pics included)

Finally got a saddle on trial! 17" 34cm Prestige Eventer. I took photos from all sides and a photo of the saddle pad after the ride in it. Horse went well in just the baby pad. He has a dropped hip (right side) that you can see on the rear view.. It's a little more pronounced right now as he def needs chiro and his hocks done, but our trusted vet/chiro is out with a broken arm so have to wait for now.... I am going to have saddle fitter out, but thought I'd get the collective COTH thoughts lol. I can def fit my hand down the front and feel it sit evenly along the muscles of both sides of the spine (def has a wide enough channel).

For me the seat size works, couldn't make my stirrups super short nor did I have a person on the ground so will fix those issues tomorrow and decide if it's ultimately forward enough for me. I don't ride super short as I broke my ankle years ago and it will start to ache and "collapse" if I ride very long at a really short length so it's not a huge concern if it's not forward enough for that.
    Should be set as a public album:http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=e182b2a357

Not public yet

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    Not public yet
    Hmmm album is set to public... try again... Just used the link they gave for "share the album". I can do it photo by photo if needed...

It works now.

Does the lack of dirt on the pad about a third of the way back from the front of the panels indicate some bridging?

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    Does the lack of dirt on the pad about a third of the way back from the front of the panels indicate some bridging?
    Are you talking about the kind of < shape.. That's from where I pulled the pad up off the withers at the pommel. I was curious about the non dirty spots on the right side of the photo.. it's dirty in a thin line right along the sides if the spine, but then there are blank areas in the right behind the wither area(?).

I'm going to say it's a bit too wide but it looks like an adjustment might work. Not sure how adjustable the flocking is, but I know the trees are adjustable 2-3cm. You may want to check for a gap between the panels and his back at the very back of the saddle as well.

On the saddle pad, the dirty areas are where the most movement is at the back and along the shoulder. The lighter areas are where your thighs helped keep the movement to a minimum. Try riding in the saddle with no pad and look at the sweat pattern on his back.

Quote Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
    On the saddle pad, the dirty areas are where the most movement is at the back and along the shoulder. The lighter areas are where your thighs helped keep the movement to a minimum. Try riding in the saddle with no pad and look at the sweat pattern on his back.
    Ahhh, that makes sense now.

I get the same "clean spots" in the area directly behind the withers and also wondered if that's normal/correct.