The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Devon Pony Hunter Breeding

I'm from the great white north and have never attended a show like Devon or Upperville. What's it like? How stiff is the competition and how many entries are there usually?

I've seen pictures and it looks like a fabulous show. If your pony places, is it a *HUGE* deal? I've noticed that a lot of breeders list on their websites that their stallion or their stallion's offspring placed at Devon. After winning, do many of them go on to illustrious performance careers or become sought after stallions?

It's always intrigued me, but I can't find much information about the Devon horse show, aside from posted results. When is it usually held and how far in advance do you enter? How much are the entry fees typically? It it worth it for a breeder from far away to bring a pony all the way down to show, or is it usually locals who attend? What age class is the most prestigious?

Sorry for so many questions, I'm just really interested

Devon is the creme de la creme of in hand shows for hunters and ponies. Although numbers are down significantly from 10 years ago and before, it is still a REALLY BIG DEAL to win or place there. As to whether they go on depends on who has them or buys them. Right now, the market is still really soft for young animals. If you can keep and start them, you will have a much better chance. But everyone should go to Devon at least once, even just to spectate.

Prizelists come out in Feb., entries close end of March or first of April, show is third week in May (usually). People do come from all over, but mostly from the east. Class entries are $50, stalls around $200 (ponies cannot get stalls just for one night because they show during the very full junior week). Only you can decide if it it worth it to you.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Devon's website - http://www.devonhorseshow.net/

Upperville's website - http://www.upperville.com/
    Randee Beckman ~Otteridge Farm, LLC (http://on.fb.me/1iJEqvR)~ Marketing Manager - The Clothes Horse

Devon & Upperville are the TOP of the world in breeding (in-hand) classes.

I prefer Upperville because of the venue, but love both. If you win there consistently (not just once as a breeder), you've made it.
    Randee Beckman ~Otteridge Farm, LLC (http://on.fb.me/1iJEqvR)~ Marketing Manager - The Clothes Horse

Hey Randee - that link shows the dates for last year's Upperville show - do you know the dates for this year's show?? Thanks!!
    Quicksilver Farms, LLC
    "Welsh Hunter Ponies"
    Welsh Sec. B Stallions and
    Fancy Show Pony Prospects
    www.quicksilverponies.com

Quote Originally Posted by quicksilverponies View Post
    Hey Randee - that link shows the dates for last year's Upperville show - do you know the dates for this year's show?? Thanks!!
    The dates for the 2013 show are:
    Monday, June 3rd thru Sunday, June 9th.
    Lorelei Welsh Ponies - Visit us on Facebook!
    Breeding show quality Welsh Ponies for the hunters, dressage, in-hand, and more!

I've shown in HB before but am very excited to show here on the east coast as I am from the mid West and I now have my first hombres warmblood filly I want to show and see if we an compete with the big boys! I also have a coming 2 yr old pony gelding who is flashy and adorable, but was my first home bred with no special bloodlines, but he's a great colt, I won't be campaigning him as much as the filly but I'm still deciding if I want to take him to Devon just to say he went? Lol! I'm hoping to show them both in MD In march and that will probably be my deciding factor...
    First and foremost about the horse.
    Rose Bud Ranch Sporthorses
    Like Us On Facebook!