The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Please Tell Me About Hunter Breeding Classes!

Hi there! I have shown at local shows and fun shows, but have the chance to go with a friend to a Hunter Breeding class at a larger show. I was wondering if you all could walk me through, step by step, what to expect from a class like this.

Should the baby be body clipped? Braided? Being a yearling, should they be shown in a well-fitted leather halter rather than a bridle as done in older horses? Should they be expected to trot in hand? What is appropriate type of stance for these classes?

I would very much appreciate any insight or suggestions for a first timer for a breeding class. Thanks so much!
    "I'm an idealist. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way."

Hi,
    They should be braided. Most people would body clip the babies, but that is up to you. The yearling horse does need to wear a bridle. A pony yearling can go in a halter. Usually the entries are lined up and the judge goes down the line judging conformation. Then after all have been judged he/she will ask them to walk and then trot. Usually then he/she looks them over again from the side and then pins them. Depending on the horse, most stand with their front legs even and the back legs staggered. It is a great way to introduce the babies to the show ring. Good Luck