The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Boarding barns, va

I wonder if any of you would be able to help me. I am relocating with my family from England to the us. We will be leaving in McLean or great falls so looking for a boarding barn in the area. Ideally within 20miles so was thinking McLean, great falls, Vienna etc. Can anyone recommend any. We are moving over about may time and will be bringing out gelding. We will also be looking to buy another shortly after we have arrived. We would like some rings to ride in and some trails. Turnout is also important.

Thanks, Laura

You need to include Great Falls/McLean/Vienna in your thread title. Virginia is pretty big. Also, do a search on threads about boarding barns.

There are a handful of private barns, but you'll need to find the truly local people. There used to be equine trails at Great Falls Park and some at Riverbend Park in Great Falls, but I haven't been down there in over a decade.

Good luck.

There's a barn in Great Falls run by a dressage rider - Pam Sbarra:
    http://www.virginiaequestrian.com/ma...=view&ID=91690

It doesn't get a lot of openings though so you should contact her soon. It's a cute place and she's very nice.

Be prepared to be horrified by how expensive everything is in Great Falls and McLean though!

also consider over the border in MD, i.e. Poolesville, Boyds, etc.
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy & Cadet
    member CDCTA www.cdcta.com, TROT www.trot-md.org & Free State Appaloosa Horse Club freestateaphc.org

There is a yahoo group greatfallshorsenetwork that is quite active. They might have some leads. Be aware that that is a very expensive area
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

It IS an expensive area, but like I said earlier, you probably won't find it hugely different from the UK. Even middle of nowhere UK is as expensive as just outside a big city US. The difference you'll find is no DIY options, few working livery options, and field board is usually available in the states. If you want to stay at a more reasonable price range field board may be something to consider in NoVA as the climate is usually good for horses to live outside 24/7.

Definitely post on VA equestrian. I'm afraid I'm no good with your specific area as I lived in Middleburg when I was up there and got free board where I worked so didn't have to do any research.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I used to live in that area. You should give Falnewood Farm a call:

http://falnewoodfarm.com/

It's a nice little place and the board is reasonably priced. I can't remember exactly what she charged but I think it was around $500/month. Don't expect to pay any less than that in NoVa unless you want your horse stuck out in a pasture with a giant herd