The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

If the previous owner wanted to go through the expense of spaying, it's their right just as much as it is the right of someone to geld a male horse.
    Yep, but when you buy a gelding you know what you're buying - you just peek between his legs and see a non reproductive male horse. The same doesn't happen with a spayed mare, and I can imagine what an unpleasant surprise it must be to find out the previous owner didn't even thought of telling you that when selling the mare to you.

I bought my mare for sporting purposes, but I went after a mare specifically because I want to have the option to just retire her for breeding if I ever decide to. I saw many quality geldings I refused because I wanted a SPM, sport type mare. If I were to find out she was spayed, I'd be furious.

Quote Originally Posted by columbus View Post
    I think it goes back to the definition of culls. In breeding halter QHs or Arabs for example over 90% of a LOT of breedings are culls. Most head directly to kill or have nearly hopeless futures. In most of our cases breeding for sport horses there is a range of markets even if we are breeding for upper level competition in one sport. Fortunately most of the people I see quoted in the US (but not all) consider that breeding involves making sure all the sound horses you create need a place. To breed only for a professionals horse...an Olympic horse...would mean the majority of your horses might have temperaments or athletic ability too challenging for the majority of riders. That would limit the places a horse you bred might find a home. I actually have seen a lot of this. To breed horses that will find a place AND have them be upper level is a challenge but I think most of us consider futures and breed accordingly. My two septic foals are just bad luck but the horses who I breed and find good places for are good planning. PatO
    "most head directly to kill or have nearly hopeless futures" vastly overstates the issue. IME (have friends with nice halter QH halter horses) the good ones sell for $25k plus as weanlings, the "culls" under 10k. Certainly not straight to slaughter and not that much different than high level WB breeding. They go to local/regional halter careers where people want pretty horses but can't afford a nationally competitive horse.

The people breeding crap with no future aren't people breeding for any real goals. Except maybe color.

One good thing about the poor economy is that the market for foal mills has gone away and breedings are down. This market is NOT for halter horses, though....more like pleasure/backyard horses.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMSL View Post
    Yep, but when you buy a gelding you know what you're buying - you just peek between his legs and see a non reproductive male horse. The same doesn't happen with a spayed mare, and I can imagine what an unpleasant surprise it must be to find out the previous owner didn't even thought of telling you that when selling the mare to you.

I bought my mare for sporting purposes, but I went after a mare specifically because I want to have the option to just retire her for breeding if I ever decide to. I saw many quality geldings I refused because I wanted a SPM, sport type mare. If I were to find out she was spayed, I'd be furious.

Buyer beware. People buying a mare with interest in future breeding should always have a breeding exam included during the PPE.

1 members found this post helpful.

I am not a breeder...not even sure why I started reading this thread, but wanted to add...

We see more than a few horses in my area who are the equivalent to puppy mill/backyard breeder type situations. The stallion is often something that should have been never been allowed to reproduce...not a good riding horse but someone liked its color or it allegedly carries a particular color gene - maybe it won a halter class at the local fun show; the mares...similar situation. So some fool neglectfully allows/decides a breeding should take place and yet another unusable animal is produced. Many of these breeding animals are registered QH or Paints. Their babies are registered but nothing good is coming of these crosses for the breed. Just more 00 feet trying to hold up an enormous body with the right color/markings. They end up with soundness issues, and then some other idiot breeds them b/c they can't be ridden but they got papers and they carry the gene for (desirable trait dejour) [sic].

Now I'm all for respecting life & many of the horses I've owned have been grade "sooners" that have worked out to be great riding horses. BUT - when these backyard breeder folks get in over their head and have to dump mama, baby, and the "stud colt" and you know those animals are likely packed on a truck for the ride to the slaughter house...just crawls all over me.

Thank you reputable, thoughtful breeders who think out crosses, plan for unfortunate circumstances, and are pragmatic about an animal's future. Wish there were more folks like y'all who were intent on breeding sound, usable animals.