The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

If you are not already, you should be monitoring for fever.

One of my friend's horses had one leg blow up like that, he could barely walk and was shaking, obviously in great distress. I was sure he had a major fracture or something! He also had cellulitis and it started from the tiniest little cut that wasn't very visible around his fetlock. She gave him a two types of antibiotics if I remember correctly (though I don't know what they were) and bute, and did some type of sweating on the leg too.
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

Definitely have been taking her temp, all is well. She's acting fine, eating well, all systems seem to be go. No bute since yesterday morning, she's not lame on it in the least, she was only lame on it that first day. I'm glad we did the rads, so we know that not only is it not a chip, there is also not a piece of wood or something stuck in there.

It's still really swollen and ugly, but only on the inside of the leg. The whole knee is ugly but only the inside of the leg is big, which is kind of weird. No heat either. Today I did get a little bit of stuff out of that tiny nick, and she's tender right around that.

We are sweating with Surpass, DMSO/furacin, and shes on antibios.

my other mare, who happens to be this mares mother, had cellulitis a few years ago from a tiny nick in her pastern, and her whole leg swelled up and she was non weight bearing on it etc, like ldavis' horse, the whole presentation on it was so different from this.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

I wish i had the kind of membership where i could post pics.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Quote Originally Posted by Jaegermonster View Post
    I wish i had the kind of membership where i could post pics.
    I just got a free flicker account. I opted out of all the optional email sales, and its only been one day, but so far so good. No uptick in spam, my identity hasn't been stolen and the sky hasn't fallen. Just throwing that out there.

Just 2 months ago my gelding came up with RF lymphangitis from a small wound on fetlock. I just wanted to chime in and tell you my experience with what worked best...Instead of bandaging/sweating, i used a poultice "Sore No More", and applied it every other day...within hours it would draw out all of the swelling, and i believe gave him quite a bit of relief...I would do this every other day at first, then slowly would add a day here and there and within 3-4 weeks, his leg was back to normal...

It's probably just a kick. Keep doing what you're doing. It sounds like it is helping.