The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Humongous knee and leg :(

Mare came in Friday for the farrier with a knee that looked like a basketball and a leg that that looked like a tree trunk (RF). All the swelling in the leg is on the inside of the leg, except for the knee itself which is the whole knee. No heat , that i could feel, i have nerve damage in my hands but farrier did not feel heat either. Small ding on the inside of the knee, and i mean small, I would probably not have even seen it had i not been inspecting. Mare was lame, did not want to bear too much weight or walk

Had vet out, tapped joint, no pus but a little blood. Was concerned about a possible bone chip, as best we can figure she was either kicked or banged it on something.
    Shot several rads, including one with the joint flexed, no chip seen. Mare will not tolerate stall rest at all but hangs out quietly in turnout. Here it is Monday and the leg is still huge, but she seems less painful on it.

We have been buting 2x a day, cold hosing, sweating with DMSO and using Surpass on the knee.

Anybody have any other suggestions on things to watch for, I'm afraid a chip may show up later or maybe there is something else going on in there, although the fact that she seems less painful on it is positive. Right?
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Cellulitis.
    Click here before you buy.

5 members found this post helpful.

Crap. I was thinking that too. Crap. Crap.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Is this leg a high white stocking? Had a horse with photosensitivity vasculits. I swore it was cellulitis until vet came out to treat.

Either way, large amounts of edema,making the leg look awfully huge.
    Don't squat with yer spurs on
    Skip's Passionate Girl "Hannah"- 2003 AQHA Mare
    Port of Call "Cruise" 3/4 Thoroughbred -1/4 Clyde 4/15/98-3/1/12 RIP my handsome boY

When Bonnie had cellulitis her leg blew up like a danged LOG, she was really uncomfortable, and only after the antibiotics (expensive ones--she can't have sulfa) and the swelling came down did we find the PUNY LITTLE NICK on her leg that was apparently the culprit.

This is a horse who lives out and has taken her share of knocks and scrapes--never so much as a bit of infection. Why some leg wounds turn into hot messes while most do not appears to be a mystery. At least to me!

My horse has had tree-trunk like swelling (front legs) on a few occasions: one from a small suspensory tendon tear (done in turnout) and the others when he has an abscess ready to burst.

He also gave himself a large seroma under his chest (probably from kicking himself in the chest during a roll), which ended up looking like a uni-boob. It took weeks for the swelling to disappear entirely.

I was thinking cellulitis too...

Nope shes a bay with black points, no white. I called the vet and he is calling me in an antibio to start her on just in case. I forget the name of it, it starts with a T and is free at Publix thank God.

The last one I had with cellulitis was very lame and stayed lame, and this one actually looks sound today so that is what threw me off on the cellulitis thing.
    This is my Reputed Testamony mare, and she is very hardy, lives outside etc never sick no problems, so this was definitely an ACK moment when she came in.

Sounds like cellulitis to me as well. All it takes is a small cut unfortunately.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

No ideas re: the DX, but when my TB's leg blew up down its entire length w/swelling so bad you could wring him out like a teabag and get serous fluid - what helped bring the swelling down (besides the ABX) was the diuretic Naquazone.

Actually suggested by someone on here, I asked the vet about it and he agreed to try.

Made him "pee like a racehorse" but swelling was down to a manageable level in just a couple days, IIRC (this was nearly 10yrs ago).

I'm pretty sure that gave him some relief.
    Like your mare there was no visible wound unless it was microscopic.

Jingling for your girl to heal up ASAP!
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Naquasone is a potent corticosteroid as well as a diuretic . . . not saying I'd never want it going in a horse with suspected cellulitis, but I would want to avoid it if possible.

I had already called my vet about cellulitis before i posted this, and he called me in some bactrim. So I'll start that as soon as I get home tonight.
    Of course this had to happen in the middle of our hunt season (I whip in) but hopefully we can knock this out quickly. If it is cellulitis I will be grateful as opposed to some soft tissue thing that will take months and months to heal and never be right.
    I'm still not sure thought, when my other mare had cellulitis years ago it was the whole leg, this is only on the inside, except for the knee, and it stops about halfway down the lower part of the inside of the leg. Wouldn't it be the whole leg? and still be sore?

Cellulitis or lymphangitis are the first two things that spring to mind. My filly spent a week at New Bolton with it this fall from a scrape on her pastern when she slipped in the round pen. I also had a horse with lymphangitis two years ago. Neither went the whole way up the leg and neither was remotely easily fixed. Jingles.

Wellllllllll I hate to say this but if your vet tapped the joint thru cellulitis you may potentially have a very big problem I wll be thinking good thoughts for you. Watch that knee.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

1 members found this post helpful.

I went through lyphangitis with my old guy last february and it was a BIG deal. Do you have access to a Game Ready?

I know that cellulitis and lyphangitis are different, but this is what happened with the old man:
    He was fracture lame on his left hind and his gaskin area was super swollen. I thought he had a broken leg. Called vet, vet came. Horse got Banamine, Gentocin, Exceed, and Naquazone for 10 days/ two weeks (exceed wasn't that often, maybe once a week?) then oral SMZ + bute + Naquazone for a few more weeks. I had a care routine, cold hosed leg (swelling took over whole leg) each side 10 mins (40 mins total, that's why I asked about the Game Ready) Then I ice packed his leg for 20 mins - thank god for duct tape- then I slathered his leg in DMSO/ Dex and wrapped. It took about 2 months for him to fully recover, and now, almost a year later, I can leave his leg unwrapped over night.

Good luck and JINGLES!!! that its not that serious!!!!

No, no game ready. I'm cold hosing, sweating w dmso, doing surpass and now i have bactrim to go with the bute. Now you have me worried about the tapping.

It is worrisome i might ask the vet about backing off the nsaids. Its going to be important to know if the knee is becoming more painful. Have wiggled Nannys curb chain a few times for you. He tapped it friday? Thinking you will know something soonish.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

OP - my gelding had lymphangitis some years ago - he was swollen from hoof to elbow all the way around on one front leg. He also had a "man boob" between his two front legs. He was dead lame the first day, lots of antibiotics and a diuretic, and some pain meds for a few days. I did all the usual stuff, and he was back to full work (at that time, 4th level dressage) in about 2 weeks; one thing the vet said was to keep him moving as much as possible - hand walks, turnout, then walk under saddle, as much as you can. I've been
    LUCKY; we've never had another incident and his leg went back to perfectly normal.

Good Luck, and Jingles to your guy
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    It is worrisome i might ask the vet about backing off the nsaids. Its going to be important to know if the knee is becoming more painful. Have wiggled Nannys curb chain a few times for you. He tapped it friday? Thinking you will know something soonish.
    SHe only got bute last this morning, I'm going to feed tonight when i get home from work at 11 and wont give it to her so i can see how it looks in the morning. Shes only getting one gr am and one gr pm so I dont think that would make that much difference. She actually has been getting less painful over the last couple days. Really by late saturday she looked sound on it, and I caught her galloping this morning when i put her back out after breakfast (because she is a total idiot in her stall) for a short distance, on that lead even and she looked great. But yeah he tapped it friday. So we shall see.

Same thing happened to one of my mares, she nicked her leg and it blew up. Ten days of sulfatrim and cold hosing later it was back to normal. Chips ect don't usually present like that..?
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.