The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I pay $220/month and I feel like I have a fantastic deal. I clean my large 24'x16' stall and provide my grain and supplements. My barn provides my hay, turns my mare in/out, changes blankets if needed, and fly masks. She'll also do meds if I need them. She is 100% trustworthy and horse savvy. I've been there about 9 years and she's only raised board once. I'm a very happy boarder!

Partial care for $125 is not available around here.

I pay $300/mo for self care. They provide a dry matted stall, am feeding, am turnout on 75 acres, access to warm water and a shower stall, an indoor arena, a saddle/bridle rack and a place for my tack trunk (read: armoire). I provide hay, grain, bedding, stall deodorizer, muck fork and wheelbarrow, do my own watering, pm feeding, cleaning, horse retrieval, blanketing, farrier/vet holding and meds. If I cannot be there, I usually make arrangements with another boarder for retrival and feeding.

If I did not show up, and did not make arrangements with other boarders to bring in my horse, I would be charged for retrieval service daily by the BO. Ditto for vet/farrier holding and meds. If stall cleaning, watering, hay, feeding and turn out/retrieval were necessary, the horse would be put on full care and I would be charged accordingly at the day rate. I appreciate having this service available and make arrangements to use it in times of illness, blizzards or vacation days when I travel. It takes the worry out of boarding my horse this way.

I am a very happy camper with these arrangements.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein