The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question What does partial care mean to you?

I board my horse at a partial care facility... I pay $125/ mo. but supply my own feed, hay and bedding and do my own mucking out when he's stalled. I also most always feed in the AM five days a week (all 4 horses boarded there not just my guy), and turn my guy out those mornings.

Just curious as to others opinions, what services/ level of care would you expect for $125/ mo?
    View my photographs at www.horsephotoguy.zenfolio.com

That seems pretty reasonable for what you're providing towards the horse's care--the BO is presumably just bringing in, occasionally mucking, feeding once a day and providing the stall, right?
    Click here before you buy.

In my area? A poorly maintained 24/7 pasture with no one on the property and no sheds. The *cheapest* place I know around here is $150 for some decent pastures with run ins, but no buildings, place to ride, or care. The guy (who doesn't live on the property) mows a couple times a year, that's it.

The answer to the question in the title is whatever your contract says partial care is. It can mean many different things just like full care can mean many different things.

Not sure how board rates are in your neck of the woods but $125 seems pretty reasonable for what you are getting.

2 members found this post helpful.

I paid $150 for pretty much that - provided my own hay (well, the BO actually bought it all since he was buying it anyway for his horses, and he just gave us piles and charged for each bale), provided my own feed, cleaned my own stall (and mine was in at night). But, since he was there feeding his own horses, he fed all of them, which was nice.

So yes, that sounds pretty typical

Pretty much Delta... the other 3 boarders share the weekend and PM feedings (I rarely do the weekend feedings unless someone needs coverage) - the BO and 1 boarder live on property.

I'm just curious as to what others think as I couldn't get out this past weekend, and the BO gave me abit of a hard time that they "still brought [my] horse in and out on Sat and Sun"... I'd prefer he be out 24/7, but that's not what they want at the moment. And they didn't muck out his stall, just put him out, brought him in (and he's generally easy to work with on the ground, so it's not like it's a huge hassle to turn out)... Am I being unreasonable feeling alittle miffed at that comment or ???

It sounds about right for what you call "partial care". I have never heard of it, but I don't get out much! Usually it is " self care" or "full care" from what I have experienced and for what you pay it sounds like you do get a break from feeding and cleaning every day. As long as the care is good when someone else does it for you the price isn't bad.

If you can't be there to do the things you normally do( bringing your horse in) it may be necessary to compensate those who do. Sounds like they want owners to do their normal duties.

That's cheap. I pay $150 per month, per horse for total 100% self care. Stalls to use when desired, 20 acres of pasture, access to trails. We do, literally, all the work from fencing, to mats, etc.

The farm manager mows, fertilizes.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Don't be miffed, not worth it.

DO get expectations in writing. Totally worth it.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by texang73 View Post
    I'm just curious as to what others think as I couldn't get out this past weekend, and the BO gave me abit of a hard time that they "still brought [my] horse in and out on Sat and Sun"... I'd prefer he be out 24/7, but that's not what they want at the moment. And they didn't muck out his stall, just put him out, brought him in (and he's generally easy to work with on the ground, so it's not like it's a huge hassle to turn out)... Am I being unreasonable feeling alittle miffed at that comment or ???
    Did you make arrangements with someone to cover your care while you were not there or did the BO just realize it was needed by default?

1 members found this post helpful.

Trubandloki - it's sort of a default kinda thing, they know I prefer he be out (but it's also in my board contract too - with wording something like "turn out/in as needed")...

Delta - not all the miffed really, just don't want to upset folks, when expectations are in writing, but it's sometimes "forgotten" by the BO and we (me and the other 2 boarders) have fully cared for the BO's horse for extended periods (10 days) at least twice when she's gone to visit family out of state...

So you did not tell the BO you would not be there?

I am guessing that is part of the problem. Why not send a text or leave a note next time so people know what is going on, they do not have to guess.

Good communication can really help prevent hurt feelings and frustration.

It sounds like a co-op/self care deal where boarders work out who is feeding/turning in/out as needed but you're generally responsible for your horse on a daily basis unless you make specific arrangements.

I would not assume that a stall would be cleaned if you can't get out--I think you should expect to make arrangements for that.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Whatever the contact says. My basic assumption is you provide feed/hay/bedding. They turn in/out and feed your feed. You clean the stall and do all remaining care. I doubt $125 would actually "buy" you that in my area except at the most backyard of places. I'd expect to pay closer to $300 for what I describe.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

You're not right to be miffed, THEY are. Sounds like you didn't even leave a note or expect to compensate anyone. For all they knew you were in the hospital.

In my neck of the woods:

I pay $280 for "semi rough" board. I provide grain, hay, bedding, clean the stall, muck the paddock, and bring in for dinner. The owners do the AM feed/turnout, and will run through and fill water buckets at nightcheck. The barn does have an indoor, although you will not find rough board for too much cheaper around here even without.

If I need my horse brought in in the evenings, or the stall done (if I go on vacation, or cannot make it out) it's $2 for bring in/dinner fed, and another $3 for the stall to be done. If I need the stall done, I need to let them know the day before, so that the morning help can include it in their chores.

I agree with the others; for $125, the "partial care" is basically that they provide the barn, stall, pasture, fencing and insurance. If they bring your horse in and out, and feed the feed you provide/throw hay, that is very reasonable for that price.

As a backyard barn owner, the most annoying thing is when the boarder doesn't show up as planned. It's not a *big deal* to put a horse in or out, or feed them per se, but it's the wondering "well, maybe they are coming, and I don't want to put the horse in/out if they plan to ride/groom/feed etc."

If they set the turnout schedule, you just have to deal with it; so while you'd like 24/7 turnout...if that's not what they offer right now, that's it. So, it is one extra step for the barn owner - to either bring in/turn out the horses to/from pasture.

It's easy to feel like "it's no big deal" until you are the barn owner and have something else you want to do, or have to feed/turnout/clean stalls when you are supposed to be somewhere else.

Partial care can really mean anything and everything. That's why it's VERY important to have the EXACT expectations of care (what is your responsbility and what is the BO's) written out and agreed upon. I also think good communication is key.

For example, I'm at a self-care place. I do everything except AM feed/water. One weekend it was drizzly and crappy out, so I decided to bring my mare in and my mum's gelding in. They usually are not stalled. I texted the BO just to let her know I brought them in, that she didn't have to do anything, and I'd be back later to put them back out. And if she has any questions, she texts me and asks. I told her to feel free to text or call me whenever, about anything. It works out well this way!
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

In my area what is mostly called partial care means they provide hay, feed and bedding and then feed and turn out/ bring in. All you do is clean the stall. It seems like its usually around $250-350. But they have limits on amount of hay/bedding you can use, and if you want something better than the generic sweet feed you have to provide it.

As others have shown, partial care can mean different things to different people so it's very helpful to have a contract that clearly states your responsibilities and the BO's responsibilities.

It sounds like, based on your follow up, that you are aware that at this particular barn, horses are expected to be brought in overnight. Thus, stalls need to be cleaned daily.

What concerns me a bit is that you say you'd prefer for your horse to be outside, yet it still doesn't sound like you made any arrangements for feeding/watering. Even if the horse doesn't come in, when you are responsible for a horse, the generally accepted protocol is that you're checking on the horse twice a day. Checking water, checking for any injuries, feeding if needed, etc.

I think that were I in your shoes, I'd ask to have a chat with the BO and get some of these details hammered out.

Also, FWIW with regards to cost, the absolute cheapest I've ever had for board was when I leased the pasture/barn for 150 bucks. I did all of the chores (twice daily), maintained the property, provided my own hay/grain, etc. My life pretty much revolved around doing chores. If for some reason I wasn't going to be able to get out there, it was planned in advance and I had a friend pop in and do chores for me. (rare!)

At the coop I was at in TX, I paid 150/horse, similar deal though. I provided hay/grain, I was responsible for being out twice daily. Since there were a handful of us there at the time, we (between ourselves) worked out chores as needed but if someone had just no showed without making arrangements, one of us would've taken care of it but also probably been on the horn and trying to track the person down assuming they were dead in a ditch somewhere.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Two barns ago, I was on partial self care.

I paid $100 to the barn per month (cut me a little break since I ride/show one of their horses).

I supplied grain, daily stall cleaning, and any turnout time, plus usually did one feeding/watering per day myself. I also connected them with my bedding supplier and went in halfsies on loads of bedding with them.

They supplied the stall, hay, and their help fed my pre-set up grain, hay, and watered him (generally 1x a day but both feedings if I got in a pinch.