The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default New Saddle: What to ask for, what to expect, and what if you like your old one better

So I had the fitter out today to tell me what I already knew. My saddle, a Prestige Eventer, does not fit my boy. My horse has gained a ton of weight/muscle and in the back of my head I knew it would never fit, but I always hoped he would fill out enough.

I had the fitter out and she explained it was too wide for him. The tree is a 34 and has already been adjusted from a 33 before I bought it. It would need to go to a 32 to maybe fit him which she is worried may be too much and compromise the saddle.

I love my eventer and I am going to talk to her about buying another in the 32 and seeing if she could make it work. She is a rep for Black Country saddles and was very awesome to work with. I tried one out (the Quantum) and I have another model (the Ricochet) coming to try as well. But I honestly prefer the feel of my Prestige even though it was nice. She said the Ricochet had a bit deeper seat so I hope that would help.

First question: Is it ok to ask for her opinion on other models besides the Black Country? Is it ok to ask for ones that fit similar or could also work?

Second Question: Should I make a list of options I want in a saddle? For example leather type, color, monoflap/dual flap? I have bought a few saddles but have only custom ordered two: My Prestige, which I got as a demo because a rep had exactly what I wanted, and my CWD which was a disaster.

Third Question: Is black better? I have always wanted a black leather saddle. Is this a good option?

Fourth Question: Opinions on Black Country jump saddles? I have read threads with rave reviews for the most part. I know that every company has good and bad reviews. How is the Wexford model as well?

Fifth Question: Is it just getting used to riding in a new saddle? I liked it but I love my Prestige. Do I just need to get used to the new saddle?

Thank you and I am sorry for the extreme length/questions.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Quote Originally Posted by FLeventer View Post
    It would need to go to a 32 to maybe fit him which she is worried may be too much and compromise the saddle.
    Talk to Paul at VTO & the rest is moot - sorry, I can't seem to find a direct saddle service page ...
    BUT your saddle tree will not be compromised by having "another" adjustment.

OTOH your horse may simply not be a fit for a Prestige saddle.

Question 1: Of course. Opinions are free and should offend no one. You are looking for a saddle that works for you and your horse. The saddle fitter is hired by you to make that happen.

Question 2: Can't hurt to make a wish list, but figure out which items are "needs" and which are "wants".

Question 3: Whatever your heart desires.

Question 4: No personal opinion as I've never tried one. However, saddles are very personal and only your butt and your horse can make that call.

Question 5: Sometimes it is a matter of adaptation, but IME saddles I've loved have been loved from the first moment that butt meets leather. Doesn't mean it has to be that way, however.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Talk to Paul at VTO & the rest is moot - sorry, I can't seem to find a direct saddle service page ...
    BUT your saddle tree will not be compromised by having "another" adjustment.

OTOH your horse may simply not be a fit for a Prestige saddle.
    True, I'll talk to my fitter again to discuss it further. Thank you for the info.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Question 1: Of course. Opinions are free and should offend no one. You are looking for a saddle that works for you and your horse. The saddle fitter is hired by you to make that happen.

Question 2: Can't hurt to make a wish list, but figure out which items are "needs" and which are "wants".

Question 3: Whatever your heart desires.

Question 4: No personal opinion as I've never tried one. However, saddles are very personal and only your butt and your horse can make that call.

Question 5: Sometimes it is a matter of adaptation, but IME saddles I've loved have been loved from the first moment that butt meets leather. Doesn't mean it has to be that way, however.
    Thank you for your post! I appreciate it and I think I am just a bit nervous to move on.