The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Beagles

I am thinking about getting another dog and I saw some beagle puppies for sale on Craigslist...the only thing I "know" about them is that they are supposed to be quite loud all the time. Is this true? Can they be trained to dial it back a bit? I really like my neighbors and would hate to drive them crazy.

My beagles are very quiet. People are surprised by this. They make noise when:

1) there is a feral cat on/near the property: they give tongue

2) it is dinner or cookie time: she sings; he doesn't

3) I get home: they bark (they don't bark when DH gets home)

Are these show-line beagles, somebody's hunting line, or unknown? There are other issues with having hounds in the house. Search other threads!
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

1 members found this post helpful.

I love Beagles -my first "doggy experience" was my grandmother's Beagle, Clyde. He wasn't noisy at all. Then my stepmother had Jake, who was also sweet as could be.

However, I do know that Beagles can be escape artists - you have to train them to only "follow the nose" when you deem it acceptable, which can be quite a challenge. Beagles are ruled by their noses! (And of course they were bred for that).

They also like to dig, or at least several of the ones I've known do. That may not be a problem for some people, though.

I have two Beagle bitches that I rabbit hunt and they are also house dogs. They are both in a half acre no climb wire fenced pen when I am at work all day & have insulated Igloos for shelter or a shaded 4'x4' bench to go underneath. We live on a farm surrounded by lots of riding acreage. The 3 yr. old is very protective of the property and she will bugle alert to neighbors riding through or if the hunt happens to be within hearing distance. The 2 yr. old only bugles/howls if she hears the hunt because she wants to go hunting too.

They are very quiet dogs in the house, no barking/bugling unless someone comes to the door, which is rare. My two may not be so normal compared to other Beagles and their noise factor. I can only tell you my experiences with them, but I can tell you that they are very loving, very happy dogs. I like the bitches better, I think they are much harder workers than the boys, but I'm looking at it from a hunting perspective.
    Lost in the Land of the Know It Alls

And YES!! they do like to dig. The pen looks like a moonscape. They are very busy diggers and it makes mowing the dog pen a delight. We bent inward and buried the bottom foot of fencing to discourage digging underneath. Neither of the girls have any interest in trying to go over the fence.
    Lost in the Land of the Know It Alls

1 members found this post helpful.

My brother owns a duplex where he rents one half. He had some renters who had a Beagle that barked non-stop when he was left alone. Apparently they purchased a bark collar and he could bark through it -- non-stop. I knew the renters, so I can't say that they were good dog owners or gave this beagle much attention. I think the dog needed some additional outlet for its energy which it was not getting. I believe he was a rescue Beagle, so we don't know his background. My brother said that the dog drove him nuts. He never hassled the renters about the dog, as he is also a dog lover. He was very happy when they moved!

A friend has a beagle named Beau. He was adopted from PetSmart, and was found dumped by the road. He is the most sedentary Beagle ever, is young, but not playful. He never goes near the fence, digs, or tries to run away. He also is not motivated by food at all. He came from the adoption fair housebroken, and has very little interest in outside time. He's probably the least barky, not digging, and indoor oriented Beagle ever. He's a good boy, but not typical in any way.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Has anyone ever adopted, or know anyone who adopted, a beagle from any of the rescues who specialize in re-homing "research beagles"? (There are lots of these, as apparently the laid-back nature of the breed makes them a favorite for lab testing. There are companies who even breed beagles specifically for research facilities).

I've read about this, and the dogs are supposed to be very nice. I do remember that many lab research dogs were debarked, but I don't know if they still do this or not. And if they are confined to cages, I assume that means they aren't house trained. I think it would be very much like adopting a racing greyhound, and they would have to get used to home life, with stairs, treats, and lots of new experiences. I would also want to know (if it's even possible) to find out what kind of research they were used for. Nutritional research (like Purina does or used to) would be one thing, but other types might be very important for the veterinarians to know.

I think it depends on the Beagle, we have one who comes into the clinic and he "aroo"s all the time he's there LOL!!
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    I've read about this, and the dogs are supposed to be very nice. I do remember that many lab research dogs were debarked, but I don't know if they still do this or not. And if they are confined to cages, I assume that means they aren't house trained. I think it would be very much like adopting a racing greyhound, and they would have to get used to home life, with stairs, treats, and lots of new experiences. I would also want to know (if it's even possible) to find out what kind of research they were used for. Nutritional research (like Purina does or used to) would be one thing, but other types might be very important for the veterinarians to know.
    No, these research animals are not de-barked. I have been in such a research facility with beagles - the noise is unbelievable.

There are many species requirements for 'enrichment' with research animals. Dogs are handled and walked outside their primary enclosure, at a minimum of daily. They must be able to see other dogs, if they can not be group housed. Most are kept in pens with runs rather than cages. They do get treats/toys in their cages or while being handled. Many of the techs get very attached to them and want them to be able to live a good life when the research is over. Most are able to be house broken.

And I believe if the dogs are adopted out after, they must state vac/worming history/surgical history but not neccessarily what type of research was done with them.
    “You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take.” - Wayne Gretsky

ET-I'm glad things have improved for the dogs, and they sound like a good addition to a household too. I would want to know what kind of research, in case there is something the vet should look out for later, but I guess the dogs are actually have more history than a dog that is owner surrendered, or a stray.

My sister adopted a beagle from her local animal shelter, and she (my sister) is now totally in love with beagles. Totally sweet, hers is not loud or otherwise obnoxious either.

There are plenty of nice beagles in shelters and rescues in need of good homes.

Have good fences, though.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

I have a former research beagle. He is not a barker or howler by any means. He's a great little dog.

He will scream his head off as a defense mechanism - as he's trying to shoot out the yard gate and I grab him you would think I was flaying him alive - and that's typical of all beagles. If not typical, then certainly not at all unusual. Lol, I had one once who would scream at the vet's when vaccinated - start screaming long before the needle was anywhere near her. "YOU'RE KILLING ME!!!!" *Sigh*

I love beagles.

They are a very old breed and have been bred for hundreds & hundreds of years to hunt independently, so everything in them says "head for the hills" and "follow your nose" so generally speaking they disregard property boundaries. Oh, they know them, but unlike my German Shepherds who will throw on the brakes at the property line, the beagles....not so much

But my little research guy is a fantastic, sweet, happy pet. I love him to bits.

Thanks for the replies. The puppies sold incredible fast, but after reading the posts, I don't think they are a breed for us. Not having a dog that digs, I didn't even consider the digging aspect.