The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Comparing styles of pikeur coats?

I ordered the pikeur diana coat from smartpak. Unfortunately it doesn't fit quite right, but it's the best I've tried yet. The main problem is that's it's WAY to long, as in below my butt long. From pictures, it looks like some of the styles are shorter, but has anyone tried them on? Size 6 fit really well except being a touch tight across the shoulder, so I'm planning on sizing up. Is the fit/sizing the same?

On a related note, do you prefer single slit or double slits? or does it not make a difference?
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

I personally hate the Diana. Looks like some kid put on daddy's work blazer. Ick! Some ladies prefer it because it hides more, but I think it always looks sloppy.

I love my Scarlett. It's short, tailored, and long enough on the sleeve for my monkey arms. Mine just neede a little taking in around the waist to accommodate my chest.

Oh, and don't waste your money on pikeur with US suppliers, go to Amira or calevo and pay less than they do wholesale ;-)
    I think my Scarlett was $170 shipping included.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I do think the Diana is much longer than other Pikeur styles. I have the Diana and it fits me perfectly, however, I am 5'10" with a VERY long torso. I tried several other Pikeurs and they were much too short in the body and sleeves (even long lengths) for me.

I second going through Amira or Calevo, MUCH better prices.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I ordered a Pikeur Skarlett from Amira (amirashop.co.uk) ... I've shopped with them for years, and have always had great service. Their prices are usually far better than you can find in the US. In this case, US retailers priced the Skarlett between $340-385 plus shipping, whereas the price from Amira was $239 INCL shipping to the US.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

1 members found this post helpful.

Here are the models I know, in order from long to short...

Diana
    Epsom
    Ghia
    Skarlett

Personally, I like the Ghia. It's soft shell, and cooler than the wool or wool blends. I also have an Epsom. I used to have a Diana, but got tired of sitting on the flap every time I rode in it. The Skarlett is a little shorter than I personally like, but I think it looks good on a lot of people, particularly if you're fairly short in the torso. I'm 5'6", but have a fairly long torso.

In my experience, the sizing is pretty consistent between models. The biggest difference is the fabric - the soft shell is stretchier, so if you're in between, you might want to size up.

I personally have no preference on single/double vents. I really can't tell the difference either riding or in photos unless I look carefully. Go with whichever model fits you best!
    Last edited by GreyDes; Jan. 18, 2013 at 02:03 AM.

I have the Epsom, I believe it is shorter than the Diana. I am short (5'3) and short torso and it is a good fit for me.
    I was told when buying that the Diana is best suited to very tall slender riders that are up and down and the Epsom was for shorter "curvier" riders (it is rather hard to find a GR size 40 jacket that fits Gs and will button up !)

Thanks everyone, this is very helpful. It sounds like the skarlett might be a good choice. I have a short torso, but long arms. I'm sadly not curvy, so I think the epsom is out.
    Anyone else have any input?
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

Does Pikeur make a washable version of the Diana? I prefer a single-vent, and long is good to cover my anatomical sins! The double vents make me think "Hunter".

ThreeFigs - Yup, they sure do. http://www.smartpakequine.com/pikeur...oat-7543p.aspx

OP - I personally didn't notice much of a difference in cut between the Diana and Epson, other than the length. The Skarlett well might be the right jacket for you, but I wouldn't rule out the Epsom without trying it on.

Well, I feel silly! After entering my post above, I searched "Washable Pikeur Diana" and sho'nuff! Thanks, though, GreyDes -- now I know what Smartpak sells theirs for.

Yes, much cheaper from Amira or Calevo. How do they feel on a hot day, though?
    Comfortable or clammy?

ThreeFigs, I got my washable Diana last summer and only wore it in August and September and was very comfortable. My old coat was the original Diana and was extremely HOT!

Thanks, HCF!

My favorite coat is a Pikeur -- a model no longer offered. It looks fantastic, but it's HOT to wear. One friend of mine who used to groom for me at shows said I wilted immediately when donning it before a test.