The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Well, I mean, it is. I never understand why people get so bent out of shape when it's suggested that they are more well off than a very substantial portion of America's population if they can afford to eat, pay rent or mortgage, have an iphone, etc and also pay for a horse on top of it all.

1 members found this post helpful.

What about cutting? You need a horse AND cows, and a place zoned for cows.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianHippo View Post
    Hint: any web article that includes a number in its title (10 Weird Tips to Lose Weight, Avoid These 5 Dumb 401(k) Mistakes!, 12 Fashion Trends You'll Love!) is generally not "journalism". This was a fluff filler piece on an investing website probably compiled by a 22-yr old intern. Nor was this an editorial; it was silly voyeurism on a website designed to appeal to people who aspire to be rich.
    I'm confident the slobbering, union-loving rabble of your imagination is not reading that site.
    This is absolutely true. Making up dumb articles from a list is actually one of the current trends in link-bait.

Enjoy!
    http://www.theawl.com/2013/01/take-a...-headlines-now
    The great menace in headlines in 2011 was that either every headline was "11 Ways to X" or that it was "Y Happens to Z [SLIDESHOW]." You know, whatever our pals at Business Insider and Huffington Post's Celebrity Sideboob's page were doing. Well, guess what, we all got used to it, and now it barely registers as tacky or grabby, except when it's over the top. Sure: promise me 11 things, I will at least read three of them. Fair's fair.

The menace before that was the "How" headline, which is so hard to avoid. "How X Became Y." "How Apple Something Something'd." "How Your Mom Became Your Dad." That kind of thing. We all use "how" because "The Story of…" is boring and gross as a headline. "How" will never die.

But that is all like Victorian poetry compared to the new headline colloquialism that flowered into dominance in 2012. Headlines now are a strange cross between imperative and inviting. The tone is soothing, seductive and at least a little bit demanding, like every character ever played by Linda Fiorentino.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Quote Originally Posted by bauhaus View Post
    Well, I mean, it is. I never understand why people get so bent out of shape when it's suggested that they are more well off than a very substantial portion of America's population if they can afford to eat, pay rent or mortgage, have an iphone, etc and also pay for a horse on top of it all.
    ah, strange thing it seems....
    while a lot of people without the proverbial pot to do water in defent the lack of taxation of the 1% and 0.01%...it seems like they do not care for their fellow 99%er having more than they do....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

99% of CotHers are not in Wellington this winter. Slackards.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

5 members found this post helpful.

While I agree that having horses is an expensive hobby and I don't do it at a very competitive level (ha! understatement of the year!)...but I also don't shop much, wear trendy clothing, eat out much, go to many movies or spend money on other entertainment. Whereas my non horsey friends of similar incomes DO spend a lot of their disposable income on such things. Not that there's anything wrong with it. But if you choose to have a boat, keep up in the latest fashion, or travel and I choose to spend my extra (again, ha!) money on horse stuff, it doesn't necessarily indicate that I am "wealthy". Far from it. I just choose to go without a lot of other things.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    (Croquet? Seriously? You can get a set for $10 at a yard sale...now, find someone intimately acquainted with the rules....)
    (Sheepishly raises her hand) I was a member of the first (and only) intercollegiate Croquet team in college. But seriously, it was not expensive, we practiced on the quad. The intercollegiate riding team was way more expensive!
    “You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take.” - Wayne Gretsky

A sailboat is far more expensive than a horse. I think Dogzilla is the current most expensive boat. http://yachtpals.com/americas-cup-4129
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Matson View Post
    99% of CotHers are not in Wellington this winter. Slackards.
    I can't even swing for Beef Wellington...so there.

Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

2 members found this post helpful.

Nice Ala! LOL
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I've had my own plane and horses...the horses are more expensive. I kept a plane at the airport (blacktop tie-down) for $65/month and annual inspections ran $500 (owner-assisted). Plus, my plane was worth more than I bought it for 10 years after I had it.

Want expensive hobby...have kids. Friends that have those things blow all their money and you can't sell the bad ones.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post

Want expensive hobby...have kids. Friends that have those things blow all their money and you can't sell the bad ones.

It can be done on a budget, too!
    (but who am I to talk...)

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post

ROFL!
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    Do those people have nothing better to do than to keep pushing their retarded class warfare?
    Missing having the OT forum open on Inauguration Day, are you?
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

8 members found this post helpful.

Boat: A hole in the water surrounded by fiberglass into which you pour money!

Same thing can be said for a race car.

Have you priced figure skating outfits and coaches, including dance coaches, personal trainers, ice time in the summer etc. lately?

Compare to craigslist horse people.

Hmmm.

Politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Missing having the OT forum open on Inauguration Day, are you?
    Was that today? Not worthy of my attention.

Quote Originally Posted by LookmaNohands View Post
    Boat: A hole in the water surrounded by fiberglass into which you pour money!

Same thing can be said for a race car.

Have you priced figure skating outfits and coaches, including dance coaches, personal trainers, ice time in the summer etc. lately?

Compare to craigslist horse people.

Hmmm.

Politics.
    what's that: 'Ice Time in the summer'?

The article says:

You don't have to be part of the 1% to enjoy these pastimes, but having lots of money will make it a whole lot easier.

True. Most horse owners are not in the top 1% and enjoy horses. None would deny that having lots of money would make it a whole lot easier.
    Dressage
    Any sport that requires the purchase and stabling of a horse isn't going to be cheap.

True.

Dressage entails a horse and rider performing a series of highly
    choreographed movements.

True.
    While it is possible to get a first-level horse on the U.S. market for as little as $5,000,

True.

a world-class beast with international potential is in the $125,000 to $250,000 price range, according to Graemont, a specialty business that helps dressage riders find the right horse and offers guides to the expenses involved.

True, and if they already are international stars, the price goes up from here.

There is actually nothing wrong with the content in the article. Horses ARE owned by people with some kind of disposable income or perceived disposable income, and the international levels of any of the FEI sports are generally enjoyed by the top 1% or the riders are sponsored by people in the top 1%. Lastly, dressage IS a very expensive horse sport.

Of course, this isn't journalism. It's a fluff commentary piece. That's the intent of it.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Three million people watch Honey Boo Boo, and some of your are complaining about a MSN fluff piece? I rest my case.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

You guys, OMG. It's a news article. On MSN. Who reads MSN anyway?

It's written by a reporter who's been told "Your subject is rich people and the stupid things they like to do. Go write an article that the lowest common demoninator can read." And guess what? Lots of rich people like horses. Lots of not rich people do, too. But also, lots of rich people. So what?!

I'm sure a bunch of golfers (maybe 5 of them, because like I said - Who reads MSN?!) are reading the article and thinking that it's unfair that they were lumped in with those money-grubbing croquet players, because they play on public courses and not on the TPC courses and how DARE anyone in mainstream (???) media call them RICH! HARUMPF!!!

How long has racing been called "The Sport of Kings?" FOREVER?

Of course we're going to defend equestrian sports. We are equestrians. But seriously. It's an MSN fluff-piece.

Jeez!
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.