The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I'm just not getting why it is political

It says "You don't have to be part of the 1% to enjoy these pastimes, but having lots of money will make it a whole lot easier."

What part of that statement is wrong? Thinking about horses, you absolutely don't have to be part of the 1% highest earners, but it certainly does make everything easier to do anything if you are.

Wendy - the article clearly states that you can do dressage with a cheaper horse, but also comments to get to the top levels you are likely to need something much more expensive - what part of that is confrontational?

9 members found this post helpful.

The whole 1% / 99% angle is all politics. What else is it?

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    Uh, "the 1%" has become a pop culture term, actually. It's literally an ironic hashtag.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    Horses are very expensive. I am not wealthy, therefore I can not afford to "play" in the high end horse show world.

Sure there are a few that can do it on a shoe string, but my working student years taught me that this IS a sport for the wealthy.

Not sure why everyone gets all aghasted by that.
    Me neither. I think that refusing to accept that a certain amount of money is required to own and care for horses, is why so many horses are put into bad situations. Some people think it is their "right" to own a horse, regardless of whether they are in a financial position to do so. It's not elitist to point out that they are a luxury.

5 members found this post helpful.

with the exception of powerboat racing and NASCAR races....
    pretty much every endeavor can be expensive when pshed to the top...
    But 'Dressage' in itself is not more expensive than, uh, barrel racing.

but yeah, power prancing has been put on the map, by Mitt and Steven...but alt least people know that it exists and is played at the Olympics...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

1 members found this post helpful.

I think they totally missed out on owning your own airplane. Yet I have two relatives who both made the dream of owning or co-owning their own airplane work (my uncle, being a surgeon, may have edged into the 1%, but my cousin definitely did not).

I also think they should have included race cars. Not a cheap sport at the top of the game, but pretty much anyone can participate locally and have fun.

Croquet? Really?

And why did they single out dressage? Is that the Romney effect?

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    but yeah, power prancing has been put on the map, by Mitt and Steven...but alt least people know that it exists and is played at the Olympics...
    Did you really say POWER PRANCING???? OMG I am going to die over here
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

How about the chick in IL with the halter QH's living on the taxpayers millions, and millions?

She was not part of the 1%, but she sure had alot of money which made it alot easier for her.

Ah, yes, The Mainstream Media Glitterati and their never-ending class warfare.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

It's not a question regarding the expense of the sports listed.

It's a question regarding the motivation to write an article that has Captain Obvious written all over it and tells us nothing we don't already know.

Some journalism......
    Do you feel sonehow embarrassed or ashamed when someone poinys out the obvious? If so, that's your deal, not the deal of whoever is merely making an observation.

Hey, if someone wants to describe me as the six foot tall woman wearing gfey skinny jeans in the airport right now, I have no problems with it because I am not embarrassed by my height or my jeans.

It would be rather ridiculous for me to turn a simple factual description inyo a post on COTH alledging height warfare.

Hey, if someone holds a mirror up and you don't like what you see, don't blame the mirror.

9 members found this post helpful.

I would question the motivations of a writer who decides to "point out the obvious" in a manner suggesting their motive is "Look at what a few people spend on their silly luxury sports when you, Joe Schlub reader, are working part-time for hourly wages. Clearly, they have too much money and you aren't getting a piece of it." What is the MOTIVATION in pointing out there are people with what is in fact a high amount of disposable income, and framing the matter in a way to make it look as absurd as possible? There is no benign one and it constantly amuses me that horse people seem to think they're immune to being lumped in with the so-called 1%, even when they're singled out as possessors of more than their "fair share."

(Croquet? Seriously? You can get a set for $10 at a yard sale...now, find someone intimately acquainted with the rules....)

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Do you feel sonehow embarrassed or ashamed when someone poinys out the obvious? If so, that's your deal, not the deal of whoever is merely making an observation.
    If you think this "observation" has no intentional bias, well then bless your heart.

3 members found this post helpful.

If you are so naive that you think this "observation" has no intentional bias, well then bless your heart.
    well, a, investigate the difference between "descriptive" and "normative."

And, b, it doesn't really matter whether something is portrayed positively or negatively. What matters is whether it is portrayed HONESTLY, because if it is portrayed honestly and you do not like what you see, the problem is not with the mirror.

What is it about the truth that you don't want it to be spoken?

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I would question the motivations of a writer who decides to "point out the obvious" in a manner suggesting their motive is "Look at what a few people spend on their silly luxury sports when you, Joe Schlub reader, are working part-time for hourly wages. Clearly, they have too much money and you aren't getting a piece of it." What is the MOTIVATION in pointing out there are people with what is in fact a high amount of disposable income, and framing the matter in a way to make it look as absurd as possible? There is no benign one and it constantly amuses me that horse people seem to think they're immune to being lumped in with the so-called 1%, even when they're singled out as possessors of more than their "fair share."

(Croquet? Seriously? You can get a set for $10 at a yard sale...now, find someone intimately acquainted with the rules....)
    I'd say the motivation is "entertainment with an edge." Anyone remember the old TV show, "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous?" A Britster called Robin Leach used to take his audience on tours of the world's great decadent sporting venues and estates, enhanced by his fake-plummy descriptive narrative. Nobody thought it "political" anymore than we think "Downton Abbey" is today--just more or less an hour's escapism and daydreaming.

Showcasing "The Rich" becomes political only when put in some kind of "Us" vs. "Them" framework, which, as someone above has noted, is kind of an ironic red herring, because lots of people qualify for the much-ballyhooed "1%" who are small business owners, MD's, etc.

The point has already been well-made that you can practice most of these sports without being stinkin' rich--dressage locally on your own pet horse, croquet on any lawn with a set from Wal-Mart, bird shooting with your granddad's gun and a dog you train yourself. Skiing or snowboarding too--yeah, you CAN rent a helicopter to take you to the top of Kitzbuell, but you can also go to Sundown Mtn. and ski your kids' brains out for a $40 all-day lift ticket.

I just interpret this as what Mom calls a "fluff piece."

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    What matters is whether it is portrayed HONESTLY,
    Your definition of "honestly" is different than mine then.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Did you read the "article"? There's literally no point in any of the five-sentence blurbs under every sport where I was like "OMG, they're totally making that seem absurd." In fact, the only "sport" where I got even the tiniest smidge of that sort of vibe was in the croquet blurb, where they mentioned a specific set being on sale for $7k and said "act now!". None of the horse ones were ridiculous, except where they pointed out the $500 Derby hats....although there was plenty of mocking about the hats at the Royal Wedding, too.

The true stupidity of continuing to pitch the 1% vs. 99% trope is that it assumes we live financially in a zero-sum world and that is hardly the case.

Some of the most miserable misers I've ever known have lived under this weird conviction that if anyone else in the world is making money, they must be losing it proportionately. Where ever do they get this? Unless you are in a business and your direct competitor is known to be "stealing" your clients, otherwise known as "capitalism," folks, this entire idea is just ridiculous.

There is simply no relationship between whether or not The Rich spend their money on sports, or gambling, or just sit on it and whether there are Jobs on Main Street. The whole "trickle-down economics" thing is a relic of the Reagan administration and has been proven to be a myth.

7 members found this post helpful.

Somebody looking for a conspiracy where there isn't one.

7 members found this post helpful.

Hint: any web article that includes a number in its title (10 Weird Tips to Lose Weight, Avoid These 5 Dumb 401(k) Mistakes!, 12 Fashion Trends You'll Love!) is generally not "journalism". This was a fluff filler piece on an investing website probably compiled by a 22-yr old intern. Nor was this an editorial; it was silly voyeurism on a website designed to appeal to people who aspire to be rich.
    I'm confident the slobbering, union-loving rabble of your imagination is not reading that site.
    Try to break down crushing defeats into smaller, more manageable failures. It’s also helpful every now and then to stop, take stock of your situation, and really beat yourself up about it.The Onion

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by twostinkydogs View Post
    Wealth is not a synonym for class.

There doesn't appear to be anything particularly inflammatory about the article, horses are absolutely an expensive hobby.
    I want to give this a whole bunch of green thumbs up.

2 members found this post helpful.