The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Pricey sports of the wealthy according to MSN...

They're at it again folks,

Kids Ponies
    Dressage
    Polo
    Horse racing

4 out of 11 were horse related.

But hey, croquet was on there, we played it as kids, must be better off than I thought.

2 members found this post helpful.

Do those people have nothing better to do than to keep pushing their retarded class warfare?

7 members found this post helpful.

Default nope

It's the same old thing, they don't even consider how many people are employed because of "the wealthy".

They. Just. Don't. Get. It.

Should have had "Running for Office" under there somewhere.

3 members found this post helpful.

Oh the irony. I remember when the heads of GM and Chrysler were raked over the coals by democrats for taking their corporate jets to DC and how those airplanes were roasted by politicians and the press.

All the while tens of thousands of union workers start wondering about their jobs yet again because the products they make are being demonized as "playthings of the rich".

1 members found this post helpful.

Errr, I don't understand this post. Horse sports ARE expensive, when you're talking little kids in big rings on expensive ponies....

Polo, we're talking big strings of horses, played on fields in very luxe areas.

Dressage...well, Steven Colbert covered that...

And racing? Really? Are you arguing it's not a valid point that racing is a VERY expensive sport? When we're talking about unproven baby horses selling for many tens of thousands of dollars?

12 members found this post helpful.

It's not a question regarding the expense of the sports listed.

It's a question regarding the motivation to write an article that has Captain Obvious written all over it and tells us nothing we don't already know.

Some journalism......

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    It's not a question regarding the expense of the sports listed.

It's a question regarding the motivation to write an article that has Captain Obvious written all over it and tells us nothing we don't already know.

Some journalism......

So what? The American public loves it. Take a peek at any reality television show...people love being "voyeurs" into the live's of others, whether it's watching them pick out a wedding dress, give a tour of their house, or deal with family drama. We're nosy.

It has nothing to do with class warfare.

I'd love to see a link to the article to see what it said, and what the other sports are.

Never mind, found it. Well, they are expensive...right up there with golf.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    I'd love to see a link to the article to see what it said, and what the other sports are.
    http://money.msn.com/investing/9-pri...of-the-wealthy

It says a whole bunch of nothing. BTW, watch out golfers, the class warfarists are out to get you and your boring sport too!

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    http://money.msn.com/investing/9-pri...of-the-wealthy

It says a whole bunch of nothing. BTW, watch out golfers, the class warfarists are out to get you and your boring sport too!
    Don't laugh. Pointing out how much wasted space, water, and resources on grass care golf courses take up versus the number of people who use them is nothing new.

Oh puhleeze. Class warfare?? ...As if the constant parading of Craigslist ads, mocking their grammar, clothes, and general redneck-ness on this board is not the same effing thing.
    Try to break down crushing defeats into smaller, more manageable failures. It’s also helpful every now and then to stop, take stock of your situation, and really beat yourself up about it.The Onion

18 members found this post helpful.

Wealth is not a synonym for class.

There doesn't appear to be anything particularly inflammatory about the article, horses are absolutely an expensive hobby.

16 members found this post helpful.

Horses are very expensive. I am not wealthy, therefore I can not afford to "play" in the high end horse show world.

Sure there are a few that can do it on a shoe string, but my working student years taught me that this IS a sport for the wealthy.

Not sure why everyone gets all aghasted by that.

Well, so what? I'd rather be the one being envied, than the one doing the envying.

5 members found this post helpful.

Somehow or other, with a manure fork in my one hand and a full water bucket in the other, I don't feel rich, except in experience.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

15 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianHippo View Post
    Oh puhleeze. Class warfare?? ...As if the constant parading of Craigslist ads, mocking their grammar, clothes, and general redneck-ness on this board is not the same effing thing.
    ditto this.

I am just not getting where a fairly innocuous article on expensive sports, (which the OP obviously decided to read, despite it being a "same thing") has anything to do with class warfare. It's nothing more than a list of.....well, expensive sports.

MSN made it political and hardly innocuous, IMO. From the article "
    http://col.stb.s-msn.com/i/38/2F7A8F...F3D952EE35.gif

9 pricey sports of the wealthy

You don't have to be part of the 1% to enjoy these pastimes, but having lots of money will make it a whole lot easier."

They tied it to the 1% by saying it instead of saying something like "these sports that many Americans enjoy require a cash outlay to play at the top." Those sports are expensive at the national level. At lower levels many ordinary, budget conscious, work 40+ hours a week, Americans enjoy them to the fullest.

that article was just awful- many of the sports they said were "pricey" certainly can be pricey, but they can also be enjoyed by most for moderate sums of money.
    I mean, croquet? sure you can go all out, but you can also enjoy it any back yard for a minimal fee to purchase a cheap set.
    Or dressage- most people who enjoy dressage do so on their cheap grade horses on a shoe-string budget.
    Pheasant hunting? all you need is a hunting license, a gun, and a dog. Expensive hunting trips are entirely optional.

journalism is really going downhill these days.

5 members found this post helpful.

Nothing MSN does is apolitical. Nothing.

Pheasant hunting was in there?

I've hunted with guys who didn't even have a dog and we did not come home empty handed. My most expensive shotgun cost me a little over $1K. The others all cost me less than $500 each.

Even a week of driven pheasant shooting in an English estate (think Downton Abbey here) doesn't cost much more than many vacations upper middle class people take all the time. But since that's not a sport for the masses, class warfare kicks into high gear.