The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    What is the penalty for failing the CA test?

At USEF shows it might be treated a bit like getting an out of state parking violation (especially if you only show at USEF rated shows). Mostly not relevant if you don't live in the state or pay the fine and go about your business if you do (assuming the fine is not prohibitive).
    It looks like, as DMK says, you basically get a parking violation. From their flyer -
    "Failure to cooperate or adhere to the above regulations shall constitute a violation subject to a civil penalty of not less than $100 and not more than $10,000."

Link to flyer - http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/ahfss/Animal_...ter%202011.pdf

So it seems like you get a fine for being over the limit of Robaxin, or not filing a med report for bute. It doesn't specify how much the fine is and I can't find anywhere online where the violators are listed.

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    What is the penalty for failing the CA test?

At USEF shows it might be treated a bit like getting an out of state parking violation (especially if you only show at USEF rated shows). Mostly not relevant if you don't live in the state or pay the fine and go about your business if you do (assuming the fine is not prohibitive).
    I would think this as well... probably why some in CA will use prohibited CA drugs because no one to police it. USEF wont follow up on it because it's not their regulation. It would have to be CA enforced and I don't know how often or realistic that would be.
    Don't saw on your horses mouth it's not a piece of wood! ~ GM

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

I have a friend who was fined by CA over a miscalculation of a bute dose at a local show. It was years ago, but the fine was about $100. IIRC she explained the circumstances so they gave her a minimal fine and no suspension. Under CA rules, both the owner and the trainer can be penalized.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    I have a friend who was fined by CA over a miscalculation of a bute dose at a local show. It was years ago, but the fine was about $100. IIRC she explained the circumstances so they gave her a minimal fine and no suspension. Under CA rules, both the owner and the trainer can be penalized.

How was she caught? Was it off paperwork, or sample of blood, urine?

So how does CA check on these? Just wondering... very interesting topic.
    Don't saw on your horses mouth it's not a piece of wood! ~ GM

Quote Originally Posted by doublesstable View Post
    How was she caught? Was it off paperwork, or sample of blood, urine?

So how does CA check on these? Just wondering... very interesting topic.
    Urine sample and paperwork. Horse tested for bute but she hadn't filed the paperwork.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Default Huh...

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    Two things -

1 - Seeing that this was a local show, I'm wondering if the theory of a "gentlemen's agreement" between CA and USEF is true? I've only done USEF rated shows the past few years and I'm pretty sure all the testers I've seen were from USEF. I've had to submit a USEF drug form once (for small amount of steroid used in hock injections, just to be on the safe side) and not only did the TD look at me like I was crazy, but there was no mention of filling out a drug form for CA.

2 - Does the State of California realize they could make some serious progress on their budget deficit if they headed down to Thermal right now?!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TuxWink View Post
    Two things -

1 - Seeing that this was a local show, I'm wondering if the theory of a "gentlemen's agreement" between CA and USEF is true? I've only done USEF rated shows the past few years and I'm pretty sure all the testers I've seen were from USEF. I've had to submit a USEF drug form once (for small amount of steroid used in hock injections, just to be on the safe side) and not only did the TD look at me like I was crazy, but there was no mention of filling out a drug form for CA.

2 - Does the State of California realize they could make some serious progress on their budget deficit if they headed down to Thermal right now?!!!
    I had the same thought!

BTW, I have still not heard back from CDFA about whether the PDF that we dredged up from their website is valid. Perhaps they are all at Thermal trying to fix the state budget problems.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Default CA Drug rules apply to USEF shows in CA -- no robaxin, previcox, etc within 24 hours

I heard back from the state. Looks like CA could solve some of their budget shortfall issues with a quick trip to Thermal! The document referred to is the one I attached in Post #7 of this thread.

"Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. Yes the document you reference is current. You are correct that shows in California can be tested by either USEF or the state. Samples are not shared between USEF and California program. California restrictions apply to all California shows even if they are USEF registered events. Therefore, if robaxin, previcox or equiox was administered to a horse within 24 hours of competition the horse would be in violation of CA law and the owner/trainer would be subject to a notice of violation and associated civil penalty/fine.

The information regarding California’s medication rule is provided to event management to distribute to exhibitors. Additionally posters summarizing California rules are provided to event management to display at the show.

Hope this information answers your questions.
    Thanks

Katie Flynn, BVMS, MRCVS"
    The Evil Chem Prof

So you could (in theory) have the same horse tested on the same day by both USEF and California and be fine with USEF and in trouble with California?

Huh. That's a funny thing.

That would be possible, as far as I can determine, but each entity would have to pull its own sample.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Here is the info on penalties from the flyer linked in post #21. Owner and trainer can both be penalized. Suspensions can range from 90 days to one year. Penalties range from $100 to $10K.
    Last edited by Peggy; Jan. 28, 2013 at 09:33 PM. Reason: remove reference to copy/paste since it didn't work
    The Evil Chem Prof

Thank you for finding out this information!

Resurrecting this thread as I just notice the following statement in the Oaks-Blenheim online premium for their spring shows: "32. DRUG TESTING: The Blenheim Spring ClassicI, II and III, Showpark Spring Festival, Ranch & Coast, andJune Jamboree horse shows will be conducted under theauspices of the State of California Department of Food andAgriculture and USEF. "

Link - http://showpark.com/pdf/upload/March...ium%202013.pdf
    The Evil Chem Prof