The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

aWp, THANKS! Isn't that wonderful? He actually even clipped them in for me when he clipped horsie! I tried to do it...but...it was looking pretty bad when I tried. Seriously, I'm in my forties, and I know that hearts on a dressage horse probably belong on a 12 year old's horse, but I love this horse and the silly hearts. My trainer and his wife are such wonderful people and trainers. The riders' and horses' safety/health always comes first - always. It's wonderful.

I love it, right horse! Sounds like you've lucked into a wonderful situation!

See my update on the first post. Red-faced...

1 members found this post helpful.

Just curious, I think that is awesome you figured all of that out. How did you come across all of his past history/experiences?

I think it's awesome you were able to find out his history... I'm glad you two are enjoying each other
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

You can not say there were a bunch of coincidences and not tell us about them so we can all feel the awesomeness of it all....

Default OK - here's how it happened...not so pretty...

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    You can not say there were a bunch of coincidences and not tell us about them so we can all feel the awesomeness of it all....

It's not a very pretty story aside from the fact that everyone loves him . The purchase was a bit wonky, with a sudden lease cancellation and a "you must buy him tomorrow" situation, seriously. I'm no longer riding with the trainers who sold him to me. Because of the "fire sale" situation (but not a "fire sale" price!), I was pretty suspicious and did my due diligence, demanding a full medical and surgical history. I was promised that he had nothing other than hock injections, had no injuries, and had no surgeries. I wasn't given his show name. I was given a print out of some horse's USEF report with information "whited out." I was told that he was from another state in the Pacific NW and several other things that proved to be untrue. The "trainer" refused to give me his owner's name or any other real information because, she said, that's why people go through trainers and they don't want to deal with the sale themselves. In the VERY brief few days I had to investigate, amidst many tears I did a bit more investigating, and I eventually found his show name based on some youtube videos that my sister found, quite ironically. I also discovered that he was from within my state, not the Pacific NW.

Two weeks ago, we showed all weekend, and in his very last class, as he was making his first turn, he looked a bit off. He has been fine since I've had him, and I had him fully vetted during the "emergency" purchase (radiographs, labs, etc.) by the "only vet the trainer would allow on her property" after I leased him for a few months. Yes, I know this is improper. Pretty much everything they did was improper.

Back to the present. When we returned from the show, I put him on stall rest and called the vet. But I still wanted to know his real history to see if he had a problem in the past. I reviewed some more of the videos on youtube and the USEF report for the horse I had, and I called the USEF. Because he had zero history before a certain year, and because I was sure that the USEF report was not his only history, I took a stab and called some trainers who seemed most likely to know him, and the first one I called knew him well.

This trainer led me to someone else, who coincidentally had been at the show we just left. She saw him from the rear at first and noted that he was very well ridden by a male rider, but she didn't see him from the front. The reason she knew it was the same horse I was describing was because he had the silly hearts (un)clipped in his neck. His name had been changed, so she would not have recognized it. She was thrilled that he is loved and in a great situation (if I may go so far as to say that I am a great situation - he is well-cared for and well-loved, with professionals overseeing everything, so...I'm not sure what more I could give him).

His other former owner (neither of the above) loves him dearly as well. She is the one with whom he had surgery after an injury, and she told me what the surgery was. (First I ever heard of it.) Neither of these women is the most recent owner.

He is on stall rest for another week (for a total of nearly 3 weeks) and is being treated by the vet with medication and other treatments. I am hoping with every hope I have that this will prove to be an unrelated, minor issue, and that he will be sound again very soon.

So, that's the sordid story. But at least those who love him know that he is safe.

Glad your search ended with finding the information. Good job.
    Sorry to hear your past trainer had a sleazy side.
    Jingles for a quick recovery.