The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I'm a fraud! I have to come clean...UPDATE on our first show!!!! Photos!!

UPDATE BELOW!Thanks for the wonderful advice! I am so proud of my boy I can't see straight. 13 y/o former jumper, bought him in September after leasing him for three months. I fell in love with his personality and his incredible kindness. We both started dressage training in beginning of October, and he was amazing at his first show! I took all of your wonderful advice, but unfortunately wasn't able to use much because my trainer rode him for all four tests. I could have ridden the last test, but we didn't know he was going to settle down. He was VERY spooky when we arrived (OMG the scary, scary tents, and judge's stands, and flowers, and new mounting block, etc.) and didn't settle until Sunday afternoon when it was time to go home . Come to think of it, I think that's when the heavy winds settled down as well!

He rode training level test 2 for all four tests, and he received three blue ribbons and one third, with scores of 68.5, 68.3, 65 and 63. I am so, so, so proud. And even if he hadn't done so well, I'd love him just the same.

We learned a lot about him at the show - he is a very different horse there. My goal is to be able to ride him at the next one! It was a wonderful experience, especially learning the ropes without riding. I did everything but ride, so I learned to time my braiding, grooming, his "potty" breaks, his personality there, my own schedule, etc. It was so incredible. Everyone was so nice and helpful, especially my trainers and the show manager. Plus, I got to meet Netg, who cheered him on with me!

I neglected to ask anyone to take a picture of me with him...so I'm sad about that. At the end, we attempted a silly iPhone self portrait.

Pics: http://s1325.beta.photobucket.com/us...horse/library/

I had an absolute BLAST!! I am so in love with my boy. And I'm completely exhausted.

Thank you for all of the advice from the board members!

UPDATE:

I have posted previously about how much I love my boy (I do), and I've posted about wanting to register him just for fun for year-end awards (I have, as an American Warmblood), and I've posted about wanting to know his history, how to find it, etc. Well...unbelievably, I have discovered this through a series of coincidences.

I found out that my beloved boy who we knew was a mutt is actually a "rescued" Premarin baby: quarter Percheron, quarter QH (!), and half thoroughbred (explains a lot!!) from Mr. Prospector/Native Dancer and Northern Dancer lines. (Interestingly, he looks very similar to Northern Dancer, same markings and all!) He has been very well-loved his entire life...and was owned, ridden, and adored by a BNJ in a different discipline, so to speak. I have spoken with two previous owners and a trainer, none of whom had anything negative to say about him and were thrilled that he is owned and loved in his forever home by someone who thinks he's the best horse ever. Everything they said about him is what we have discovered (gives his all, smart, very affectionate, wants to please but also is "his own horse," can get high, and other good things). They are even working on baby pictures for me!!! They told me his first real registered name, which explains his barn name!

So here is where we are a bit of a fraud - my post above (and pictures I've posted on Facebook!) about his "first halt at x" actually depict his NOT first halt at x. As a four year old, he apparently did quite well (in the 70s) in a few eventing dressage tests, and came in second overall in his eventing thing (trial? class? whatever you call it). Hmmmm... so ten years ago, he did participate in this lovely sport!

I also found out his real birthday, a previously undisclosed injury and surgery (and thankfully we have made the switch to dressage from h/j), and, most importantly, that this beautiful, sweet, heart horse of mine has made so many women (all female owners!) incredibly happy, and now they know that the horse they love is happy, healthy, loved to pieces, and also available for them to visit and love on should they ever want to.

OK, now I don't feel like a fraud . It WAS ten years ago!! I think it is so cool that I know his history and found his previous Mommys. I really never thought it would happen!!
    Last edited by right horse at the right time; Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:06 PM. Reason: found out some things...

7 members found this post helpful.

You made me smile !! Thank You !!

Ditto what PP said... that joyous exhaustion is what it's all about! Congrats!
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

What a gorgeous boy you have there! Very nicely done... congrats!
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

He is beautiful! Congratulations! And I love his little heart!

Congrats! Your boy is lovely!

And he has a (unclipped) heart on his neck!

Love your post...I can 'feel' the excitement! I completely know what you mean in being exhausted...and you didn't even ride The hearts are adorable!! Great first showing! Looking forward to seeing YOU on him next time around
    Heather
    Green Cove Springs, FL

Congrats! really lovely horse. And nice to not see SNOW! hahahahhhh... good luck with him.

Always expect a different horse at a show, at least for the first few. The more you go, the easier it gets.

Then there's only you.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Thank you, everyone! I know this is probably old hat for most of you, so I especially appreciate the support. It's so thrilling for me! I can't wait to ride him myself in a show. My trainer is wonderful, and is a good sport about my exuberance. He is very good to me and horsie, and didn't complain once about having to ride a horse with a heart on each side of his neck . He knows that I become a pre-teen girl when I'm around sweet horsie. I hope that if I am lucky enough to be able to advance, I still get this excited. My goal when I started was to stay safe, have fun, and have this be my therapy and respite from a stressful life. I don't want that to change, ever, even if we stay at training level forever.

1 members found this post helpful.

great to see photos.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Thank you for starting my day with a big smile. Your horse is beautiful. He will become less different at shows as he goes to more of them, and you will be riding him in tests before you know it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzieQNutter
    The whip is held across your thigh so as you can still hold the reins without spilling your coffee!!
    SillyHorse adds: Or your wine.

Wonderful! He's lovely - and your attitude is delightful!

Carol
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Default YAY!

I had started a thread about sending my horse to this same show w/out my being able to go.

I went ahead and arranged for a groom and away he went. I was able to make it down there for his afternoon rides.

Like your horse, mine is still a little tense, but was WAY better this time as in no meltdowns - YAY (his 2nd dressage show). His best test was his last one on Sunday (trainer rode and she moved him up to 2nd level for this show). I was really proud of my pony, too, and glad I sent him

I'm so glad that you had such a positive experience! Maybe at the next one, I'll get to meet you and netg. I will just bet that your horse will be even better at his 2nd show, too
    ~* Life is the dance you choose *~

Your horse is beautiful! It's wonderful that you had such a good time and those scores are impressive.

Nice pix and LOVELY halt!
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Congratulations - can't wait to hear about YOU being out there on him!!
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

This thread makes me smile, thank you! Lovely lovely!! He's a handsome boy!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Thanks, everyone!
    Quietann, thanks! I don't have any of the spook pictures to post . The video, maybe...
    Sillyhorse, thanks! I can't wait to be able to post pics of me riding the tests! (But I am VERY grateful for my wonderful trainer for doing it!)
    Carol, thanks, I appreciate the kind words.
    Reefy, I had read your thread last week and had no idea it was the same show!! PM me your horse's name if you want to. I only watched a few of the other rides, but in 3 days I'm sure I saw your horse. Please let me know when you go there again, and I will look for you. It was fun to meet Netg in person. I'm glad you and he had a wonderful experience as well!
    Inne - thank you for your kind words.
    Ideayoda, thanks! I LOVED that halt. He was a bit "not straight," and that was reflected in his score, but from the side I think it looks gorgeous .
    Pocketpony, thanks! I can't wait to be on him for the tests either!
    Superminion, thanks! I still have a huge smile on my face

Lovely pictures, glad it went well!

Love the hearts! And LOVE that you're trainer was man enough to ride with them rather than insisting they be clipped away!