The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default So last time I had to treat a case of scratches...

...it was in the era of Double Deworming. Are we still doing that?

Other than that, what can I do? Just clip, betadine, triple antibiotic, desitin?

I refuse to keep her in, and there are no mud-free options. Already signed up for the hose/dry legs service!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

No clipping. Trim closely with scissors, but clipping can nick and make things worse.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thnx stryder!

I've had really good luck with Zephyr's Garden Anti-Fungal salve. It cleared up my horse's scratches very quickly.

Desitin ointment, not the cream, on thick.

Scrub with betadine scrub to a good foam, let soak for 5 minutes, rinse and repeat. Slather with panalog and wrap well. Leave wraps on for as long as you can stand it (was about five days for us.)

This is what my vet recommended.

The only thing that worked for mine was when he was on stall rest (due to surgery). His clipped/wrapped leg is completely clear of scratches and his un clipped/ un wrapped leg still had scabs. This was after 6 ish weeks of stall rest and it has lasted 2 years.

My other guy mostly got rid of it after being stalled for a few weeks at night
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

The most easily cured case of admittedly minor scratches was cured with two doses of a colloidal silver cream. Do not remember what it was because it was kept in a locked cabinet at the race trainers barn as it was $25 for a little jar. Of course I first washed with castile soap and then hand toweled dry.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

I always had to keep my chestnut TB's lower legs clipped through spring and fall to get through the mud. You could almost see him relax after clipping them they would start to feel better as soon as they were clipped and treated. I would clip, wash with Micro-Tek medicated shampoo mixed with betadine. I did this every few days when it was bad or once a week. Let the foam sit for 15 minutes or so before rinsing off so it can really work. Then I would spray with Micro-Tek medicated spray everyday. I found the desitin just made a huge mess and didn't do much. I also used MTG and that worked just as good as the Micro-Tek spray. Those were both ones that were easy to use everyday. Make sure to really curry either of them in with a soft curry comb. The stuff needs to get down to the skin.

I also just use the Micro-tek shampoo and betadine whenever I bathe my current horse as a preventative. He's never gotten rainrot while almost every other horse on the property had it during spring.

My new trick seems to work and is super cheap, Vicks Vapor Rub.

My dumb gelding loves getting skin funk (three white legs, grr!).

I don't do any sort of clipping/trimming. I rub in triple antibiotic ointment, then liberally coat in desitin. I only use the triple antibiotic every other treatment or so, and it's probably not really necessary. Desitin is amazing. It softens up the scabs so you can remove them without damaging the skin, and protects the skin from water/mud/whatever.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

Only thing that worked for me was 17 tri-axles full of roadmix to fix the damn footing!

Failing that, you can also try "Muck Itch." It's mostly tea-tree oil.

I need to put this on tape.

1/2 and 1/2 chlorhexadine creme and desitin, add 1/2 tube of cortisone cream. Rub on liberally. Do not pick scabs Rubbing in the creme combo will loosen them. Leave heavy layer of creme inplace.. Usually works in 3-5 days.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    I need to put this on tape.

1/2 and 1/2 chlorhexadine creme and desitin, add 1/2 tube of cortisone cream. Rub on liberally. Do not pick scabs Rubbing in the creme combo will loosen them. Leave heavy layer of creme inplace.. Usually works in 3-5 days.
    my I ask where you get the chlorhexidine creme?
    "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." Mark Twain

Remedy from COTH several years ago...
    One tube Desitin, one tube triple antibiotics, one tube athlete's foot cream (these latter two tube are usually half the size of the Desitin tube).
    Clean and dry area gently. Apply goop. Every 5 days or so, clean and dry area gently. Apply goop.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Oh I'd love to fix the footing-- but not my barn, and frankly, every barn in town is under at least a foot of mud right now.

Thanks for all the suggestions!!! The temp has dropped now, so treating this in 5 degree weather is super awesome. On the upside the ground is freezing, though I hear we are back in the mid 30s again next week so MORE freaking MUD.

Acne body wash and mild steriod spray. Works suprisingly well, as suggested by my vet. (get the steriod spray from the vet)

Definitely trim the hair around the area as much as you can.

My vet recommended: 1/3 furazone, 1/3 desitin ointment, 1/3 cortisone creme. Mix together, apply liberally after scrubbing with either betadine or nolvasan daily. Pull the scabs off when you can as they soften.