The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saucer Fracture- How can I help it heal?

In about a week and a half I will be getting a 4 y/o soon to be OTTB from a friend (His owner and trainer from the beginning, who sent him to the track to race, and now this.), who has injured himself with a mild Saucer Fracture. He has had sore shins since he was older 2, coming 3, and was pin fired in June 2012 (he was 3) after being blistered many times, and given countless months off. He has raced 3 times, and 2 weeks after his last race.... this.

I love this horse, and would LOVE LOVE LOVE to train him as my future Eventer, although I can't compete till he's 5. I won't let myself. He'd be WAY too young to ask him to gallop over solid fences with me, haha!!

So anyway, I have time to let him heal for however long, and have considered giving him the rest of the year off, but decided I might start him under saddle in the fall if he's 100% again.

So my question: Once I get him, what can I do to help him not be in pain/sore, and help his bones heal and get stronger?

I don't plan on working him hard until he's at least 5. I just see no point in hurting him, as I've known this horse since he was 2 years old, and he and I seem to have a special connection. He's like another part of me.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!

TBHJ
    ~Buy an OTTB, Save a Life, Gain a Forever Bond.~
    Let's say NO to Kill Buyers

My horse has an extremely mild radius fracture. He is currently on 6-8 weeks of stall/limited small turnout on good footing with NO playing or running. If the fracture had been any worse he would have been on full stall rest. Right now that's all we are doing but I am gonna ask my vet about shockwave therapy. He is not being iced/cold hosed as the vet wants some mild inflammation, to help it heal (or something like that). No bute (don't want him using it more than he feels he should). His leg has very little swelling left, and very little heat. He will be re x-rayed at 5 weeks, and that will be what determines how much longer he needs rest. After he is fully healed, and I confirm my vets ok on this, I will be sending him to a rehab barn to put him on the aquapacer to help build his conditioning.
    We are also watching for sequestrum (bone dying off) which will result in the knee having additional swelling. Then we may have to surgically remove that piece.

Get his last set of X-rays to keep as a baseline...I would put him on a really top line Silica immediately, cool the shin, use magnets under his standing wraps and keep him in a stall for 30 days the X-ray and re evaluate every 30 days with a goal of 90 days then start slow work. I personally am a big fan of walking on the hard road to build bone density. I have had phenomenal success rehabbing fractures including my last one that was a hock fractured in 3 places...may 2012 that mare is now hunting and aimed at eventing...I also would put the horse on Alfala hay and not fart around with to much grain..Just my 2 cents but I do have good solid background of returning horses to unlimited sports horse careers....also an ultrasound would be another good tool to have as a baseline....get digital rads and make sure you get a good view to rule out conjular or spiral not just a saucer..Best of Luck

Thanks!! I'll definitely track down his last X-rays! I'll look into the Silica, and I'm planning on getting magnetic or "Back on Track" wraps for him. Sadly Alfalfa is non-existent where I live, we can barely find Coastal Bermuda that is decent! This horse means the world to me, and I'll do almost anything to help him heal and recover 100%.

I love him so much that for his first race, as a birthday gift from my family we went up to West Virginia to watch it in person! I would appear at the training track down the road from my house at 4:30 am to pat him on the neck, scratch his chest (he loves that!), and say hey to his owner/trainer, then get to my farm asap and throw horses on the trailer, and go to my competition!!

I would also appear at the training track at 7:00 pm at night on a 105 degree summer day after my rides to pat him and feed him clover!!

Thank you so much for the advice!

TBHJ
    ~Buy an OTTB, Save a Life, Gain a Forever Bond.~
    Let's say NO to Kill Buyers

If you can get to the track you can get alfalfa.....they have hay guys who supply it...also you can get Alfalfa cubes from you feed store oe Dengi it's the calcium phosphorus ratio in the hay that makes it ideal for bones

1 members found this post helpful.

My old horse got kicked by his stablemate and he got a saucer fracture. I didn't do anything but let him rest for a few weeks (not real long, 3-4? tops) and start him back slowly but it healed fast and didn't really bother him much. It was small luckily. Cold hosing too. Mostly time to heal.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.