The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Where to find retired steeplechasers?

Ah the elusive search for the ex steeplechaser. Found two a couple years ago, but couldn't purchase them due to buying back another horse. Have contacts with a few flat race trainers I buy from but would love to make contacts in the steeplechase world also.

Bring your checkbook. Jump horses are rarely available on 'the open market.'
    Not the ones you'd want, anyway.
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

1 members found this post helpful.

Rare as Hen s a teeth those horse already have their next life lined up before they jump their last race....

I found two of them in 2011, but due to buying another one closer to home couldn't buy them. But luckily I kept in touch with the girl who got him from the trainer since her and her mother were going to run them through auction, and thanks to COTH the trainer was alerted and they were able to find GOOD homes.

I know one ex timber horse that a Coth-er has for sale. I believe they may have bred him as well.

I see a couple here and there.... but since they know how to jump they cost money.

Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Out of curiosity, generally speaking, what kind of money do they go for?
    Real Horses. Real Riders. Real Results! www.wvhorsetrainer.com

I agree with Hunter’s Rest. The Steeplechase community is pretty close nit and most of if not all hunt and or know lots of people who do or Show and Event. So, it doesn’t take too many phone calls if any at all to find a new home. Be it for free or $$$. Here is the link to the National Steeplechase Association’s web site with a list of a lot of the trainers.

http://www.nationalsteeplechase.com/racing/trainers/

You can try doing a search of each and see who has a website with contact information and send them an email with what you are looking for and your budget.
    I’ve got a couple we might part with. We are supposed to be in the business of selling but as friends have pointed out I am more of a collector then a seller. Good horses are so hard to come by and even harder for me to part with.
    If you want to PM me with what you are looking for I might have something of interest and or know of some. Please include your price range so not to beat around the bush.

Like horses of any discipline or breed it depends on age, mind, ability, suitability, soundness and what they have been doing after the fact. Free to $20,000+