The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is TC Senior making my horse a fruitloop?

My horse (since switching to TC Sr, which I have loved for years for other horses I have fed it to) has been a fruitloop.

Could the TC SR be making him "hot" ?

He actually seems fine under saddle, just dances in the cross ties, dances while walking. Its like having a strange horse at the end of the line.
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

It made my 30-year old TB absolutely lose his mind!! My guy is the most stoic horse you could ever meet but he went psycho on the TC Senior so I took him right off of it and went back to BS Senior... got my nice quiet old guy back .
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

I have heard of one horse colicking on it because of the higher protein/fat content. Sounds strange to me, but I suppose anything is possible. Could be too much protein, but it's sure not high in sugar/starch.

Is he getting more of it that he was getting of whatever you were using before? What were you using before?

For concentrates, my horses are the quietest they've ever been on TC Senior, but if he's getting more overall than he used to, I can see it pepping him up. It would be odd if it pepped him up on the same amounts, given the low NSC value -- there isn't much out there lower in NSCs.

Could it be the spring sillies/not tied to his feed? Have you changed hay? Spring grass?

But anything's possible. If you think it doesn't work for him, try something else. I love TC Senior, but there is no one feed that is perfect for every horse.

My mare, who does very well on TC Complete, was a nutcase on senior. Switched her back to Complete and she was fine again.

No idea why.
    "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

My horse was on Purina Equine Senior, didn't seem to love it, tried Triple Crown and he seemed to prefer it, and is not fruit loops. So maybe it's a horse specific thing?

TC Senior is my grain for my TB that gets nutty very easily. That being said, you never know.

I'd look for other factors first - grass, spring sillies, increased calorie intake, hay changes...

I use Triple Crown Low Starch - I have two horses that get Triple Crown SR added to their low starch ration - one gets 1 lb SR 2 x daily and the other gets 3/4 lb SR 2 x daily. They seem to do well on it - they don't get a lot of the SR - I've never noticed any behavioral issues since I've been using the SR.

Interesting, thanks guys!

It isn't just a spring thing, I have been watching this for a little while. He isn't getting more than what he was on previously (previous barn would feed Southern States Reliance, which I wasn't a huge fan of).

It really seems to be an overall attitude change...

I am wondering about the molasses content?

The TC rep on the phone told me that while TC Senior "appears" to be lower in starches, there is something there that actually makes it more "sugary" than the TC Low Starch.... my notes are out at the farm, so I am having trouble remembering exactly what she said...
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

What was the protein/fat of the Reliance feed? If it was lower than the TC Senior, and he is getting the same amount, he may just be getting a lot more calories. TC Senior is a 14/10 I believe, so the fat may be higher: more calories=more energy! Had the same problem last year when my horse had been getting rice bran for the winter and was still on it when the spring grass came in and he went nuts! Simple calorie overload.
    Failure is always an option*
    -Mythbusters

*As long as you figure out what you f'ed up and fix it! -Me

Everyone in my barn gets some amount of TC Senior, I have never had a horse get hot on it. I have with the TC Complete, but it is higher in sugar/starch than Senior.

I had switched my last horse from Equine Senior to TC Senior for reasons I no longer remember. Within days he was like a spider monkey on crack . On the cross ties I could literally see his heart beating. I took him off all grain for 48 hours and then started him slowly on Vintage senior and all was well again.

Quote Originally Posted by WNT View Post
    What was the protein/fat of the Reliance feed? If it was lower than the TC Senior, and he is getting the same amount, he may just be getting a lot more calories. TC Senior is a 14/10 I believe, so the fat may be higher: more calories=more energy! Had the same problem last year when my horse had been getting rice bran for the winter and was still on it when the spring grass came in and he went nuts! Simple calorie overload.

Sorry, by same amount, I didn't mean physical amount, I meant same amount of caloric type intake as best as I have calculated it....

On the other hand though, he has dropped more weight than I would have liked over the winter (on the TC Senior). So I would like to put some weight back on him, just not make him nuts.

Disclaimer: He has been power packed, and is on gastroguard. He didn't have a scope, but we drew some blood and it did come back a little anemic...

What kind of hay is he getting? He should not be dropping weight on TC Senior over Reliance. I would suspect the hay is different/he is not getting as many calories as he was through forage.

I would switch him to TC Low Starch and maybe some Empower or other rice bran supplement to add calories and see what happens, it can't hurt. As I said, I love TC Senior but if it isn't working for him, try something else.

He has been getting the same Timothy/Alfalfa mix from the same supplier now for a couple of years.

I am thinking more and more about the forage though. He gets a few flakes in the morning, and like 6 or seven at night, but the pasture where we are now is not as nice as where we were before (but that is also why I added the morning hay).

I like the idea of the TC low starch.... will see if the feed store will order it (where I am living currently in NC is totally sucky for getting anything horse related...it is ridiculous).

Dont know what empower is... will google it. Have had an easy keeper for so long, I have gotten too comfortable!!

Thanks for all of the information/suggestions!!

I am going insane with this... I would rather be bathing suit shopping (and that says a lot, because I am pretty hefty..).

The TC Low starch isn't as low in starch as the Senior.

I am so beyond confused.

One feed store (an hour away) did have the TC Supplement 30% but not the 12%.

The 30% says its for breeding stallions, lactating mares, etc (ie: only horses with huge calorie needs).

So I am thinking the 12% Supplement would be the better option, but NOBODY around here knows anything about what horses eat it seems.

Apparently there is only one or two NC triple crown reps and per all four of the feed stores, "they are so busy, its hard to get ahold of them".

Funny, I sent TC a resume asking to be a field rep so I could learn about their feed to provide folks in this area good information but they said they didn't need anyone.

naters-

You could always call Triple Crown and we'll help clear up the confusion that you are having with the feeds, as well as look at options on where to get it. Yes, Senior is actually lower in NSC than the low starch.
    The 12% supplement is discontinued and would not be an option for you.
    Yes, 30% supplement is MORE commonly recommended to "easykeeper" broodmares, babies and breeding stallions who can benefit from a higher protein ration balancer, but it also makes this ration balancer a great choice for other horses that do not fit into any of those categories, the higher protein can be beneficial for an "easy keeper" older horse, a horse on a low quality hay or low protein grass hay as well as many other scenerios.

The 30% can be fed by itself along with hay/pasture or as a "supplement" to our other TC feeds if you are not feeding the minimum recommendation of those feeds.

There are 3 maybe even 4 Southern States/TC reps that cover the state of NC so they are available to help customers and stores.
    Please call TC if you have any more questions:
    800-451-9916
    Triple Crown feed fan?
    Join Triple Crown Nutrition, Inc. on facebook at:
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/p...6908807?ref=mf

Interesting, I have called the TC number many times, but have not been able to get a definitive answer on the following:

"If the Senior is lower in NSC/Starch than the Low starch, isn't having the two feeds redundant? And if not, then what makes one better for one situation over the other? Why should I feed a horse that needs low starch the "TC Low Starch" if the Senior is the better option?"

You may want to get in contact with the Southern States stores in the NC area, they are the ones that mentioned never being able to get ahold of the reps (I have been in various SS stores about 12 times this month throughout the eastern NC area, and hear it a lot).

Thanks for the reply!

Still looking for suggestions for combinations that other folks are using for a horse that apparently has some molassess issues...

FordTraktor: Have you personally used the Empower? It looks like good stuff, I left a message with a couple of the feed stores within a 100 mile radius of me, and hoping to have someone order some. I had great luck with the Seminole brands of senior/rice brand previously. I really hate moving, I was nice and cozy with the Seminole folks being a block away, I could just pop in there and they would answer questions all day long!!

Quote Originally Posted by naters View Post
    FordTraktor: Have you personally used the Empower? It looks like good stuff, I left a message with a couple of the feed stores within a 100 mile radius of me, and hoping to have someone order some. I had great luck with the Seminole brands of senior/rice brand previously. I really hate moving, I was nice and cozy with the Seminole folks being a block away, I could just pop in there and they would answer questions all day long!!
    Yes, I used it to try and put weight on my old horse during the winter. It was palatable, smelled good. My horses ate it fine but didn't like it as much as the TC Senior. I can't say I adored it and I no longer use it because I had to put that horse down, but it was fine. It did not pack the weight on him but I don't know that anything would have.

It made my usually calm as can be WB pretty nutty. I used it just to mix supplements in because my horse stays pretty plump on just hay. I switched him to Purina's Wellsolve Weight Control and my calm, non-spooking at stupid stuff WB is back. The Purina Wellsolve WC doesn't have any molasses in it. He actually lost some weight, which is a good thing because he gets fat easily. I had a TB prior who was on TC Senior and it never made him act that like a freak.
    Owned by an Oldenburg