The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    Career ending pasture accidents? Nada. Knocking on wood.
    My own 3 horses, injuries from kicks from other horses. 2 are are broodies now.
    It just seems to happen to the important ones.

Important is in the eye of the beholder...

Kicking is always a danger. Horses who go to kicking as their main defense need to be turned out alone IMO. IME mares tend to kick more than the boys do, one reason I generally prefer to own and board geldings. I hate shared fence lines, run-in sheds and dont feed horses together.

Ah! I *did* have one of my horses kick out his best friends tooth! Seriously. Best buds. That was one incident in six years of 24/7 turnout together. I forgot about that. Not career ending tho. They stopped playing that way afterwards, now stick to rearing and running.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

1 members found this post helpful.

How did this morph into a thread on turn out?
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

I was wondering that too. Since my horses are all at this moment barefoot, somehow it all tied together in my head LOL
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Beentheredonethat, the horses at their farm are treated like royalty, the place is immaculate, beautiful and the horses ARE turned out

I have two friends that have been taking three horses there for the last four years and "turnout" is an hour in a small sand paddock. The horses have to take turns. (and fwiw all their horses are still shod).

I am worried now with that article being published every second person out there is going to pull their horses shoes "because Shannon Peters does it" forgetting that those horses are managed in a way that 99 percent of other horses are not, and they have a team of the best professionals out there working on these horses and monitoring them.
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

2 members found this post helpful.

It is concerning. Didnt Hilary Clayton just publish something about it, too?
    ---

I rode in a clinic with Shannon a few months ago and the first thing she commented on was how happy she was to see my horse barefoot. I was happy my horse was barefoot again after a very ill-advised year in shoes. For him shoes were not the answer. The quality and shape of his hoof deteriorated as well as his natural movement. I am thrilled to have someone of Shannon's caliber out there being a voice for barefoot dressage. Certainly it may not be for every horse, but it is an option that more people should be willing to consider instead of running from.

3 members found this post helpful.

Oh, dear. Didn't mean to turn this into a turn out thread. BUT, it's just me, I DO leave my six figure horses in pasture 24/7 WITH other horses. As others have said, my experience with major injuries has nothing to do with pasture, and a lot of people in Europe do it the same way. Injuries from being hurt and from overstress happen MUCH more with horses not used to running up and down muddy/rocky hills in herds because they aren't conditioned to handle it, physically and mentally. But, when they are, I 100% believe I have much safer, sounder, healthier horses.

But, like everything else, there is no 100% right for everyone. And some people see the "risk" of a horse getting turned out and kicked as bigger than never getting to socialize and mentally handling reacting to other horses. Just as some people see the "risk" of taking off shoes might cause injury as bigger than the risk of never allowing the horse to really get strong and tough.

And they do kind of go together because you really shouldn't have shod horses turned out in herds.

And, Rick, I cannot answer why Ravel's shoers could not resolve the crack. I was trying to understand the other side of it. I don't get it.

Pretty regularly some Name pulls all the shoes on all their horses and announces in loud voice that they've "gone barefoot" (or loudly mounted some other "bandwagon") and reaps all the publicity they can. Then, when reality sets in, they quietly go back to doing what's right for the horse. Of course there won't be any "press releases" the first time they re-shoe a horse that's been standing around for months in unremitting pain.

Some horses need shoes; some don't.

And thus endeth the lesson.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JLR1 View Post
    I am thrilled to have someone of Shannon's caliber out there being a voice for barefoot dressage.
    I wonder why 'barefoot dressage' needs a voice. At the end of this trail will 'shoed dressage' need a voice?

I respect Shannon as a teacher, rider and clinician. She's talented and a lovely rider. But I read that article and felt the 'oh no' bug. Not every horse can go barefoot and thus they shouldn't.

I hate to see barefoot or shoes have a voice - other than that of horse, farrier, vet & owner.

3 members found this post helpful.

I found it to be a good article, but I also agree that one has to work with the individual horse. Horses living and working on sand will need shoes. Horses living and working on loamier soil won't. Quarter cracks aren't a sign of neglect. Creative shoeing that keeps a horse *sound* without drugs isn't evil. I hope that readers of the article have the smarts to see it for what it is: A GP-level rider found a solution for her particular horses.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

I am sure the Peters are good enough horse people to do only what is best for their horses...obviously they want them performing to the best of their abilities. They are doing what works best for them. But just remember, those horses don't go out in fields ect. They live in stalls and when they go out to be walked or go on the walker or spend an hour on soft sand they wear hoof boots. The footing they are riding on is always really good and soft/synthetic so riding doesn't pose a risk to the unshod foot either. I am not surprised it works really when you keep all of this in mind. They aren't "normal" competition horses.
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Lu View Post
    Horses living and working on sand will need shoes.
    Um. No. Not necessarily. There are plenty of horses that live/work on sand and do very well barefoot. And as I mentioned earlier, my own horse lives on property that is covered in coral rock. And he's barefoot and doing great (well, hoof-wise, lol). It's actually been great, as it helps him do a little bit of self-trimming (which I then clean up with a rasp) in between his regular trims.

As for the earlier statement from someone else worrying that people will read this article and go blindly pull all their horses' shoes--seriously? I think that's some misplaced worry.

What causes quarter cracks such that good management prevents them? Is it that a good farrier will stop the crack before it goes all the way up (or down)?
    That's pretty important information, at least to me. I do recall farriers making a cross rasp at a perpendicular to the crack, but never saw it done on my boys (retirees, two states away).

I wonder why 'barefoot dressage' needs a voice.
    Agreed. Why not say "thoughtful horsemanship that considers each animal's individual needs" needs a voice? Only movements, crusades, and agendas need a voice. Phooey.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyBayMare View Post
    I wonder why 'barefoot dressage' needs a voice.
    It certainly is a good question.
    I do not remember ever seeing a line on the score sheet where you got marked down or marked up depending on your horse being barefoot or not barefoot.
    I like to think that the horse owners competing in dressage are dealing with their horse's farrier needs with their professional and it has nothing to do with what some pro does with their horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Chall View Post
    What causes quarter cracks such that good management prevents them? Is it that a good farrier will stop the crack before it goes all the way up (or down)?
    That's pretty important information, at least to me. I do recall farriers making a cross rasp at a perpendicular to the crack, but never saw it done on my boys (retirees, two states away).
    Quarter cracks that are not caused by injury or poor conformation are caused by an inbalance in the foot. An inbalance usually caused by poor management on the owners part or an incompetant farrier.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

I just wanted to point out, as I finally read the article last night, that yes...Ravel's FRONT shoes (they left his hind shoes on) were pulled before the Olympics due to a quarter crack. However, he wasn't really barefoot - they molded hoof boots specifically to his feet so that Steffen could continue training and riding him. They then placed shoes back on his front feet. According to the article, Ravel doesn't have shoes on now, but then again...he's retired and while he might still be taking his owner for some lovely training rides, he's at nowhere near the level he was when he was in competition.

I think it's great that Shannon has found that some of her horses can perform just as well without shoes. But, the article left a sour taste in my mouth.
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

Regarding Ravel's quarter crack, I think that the article mentioned that it was an ongoing issue that was the result of an old injury that he'd gotten as a young horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Donella View Post
    I am worried now with that article being published every second person out there is going to pull their horses shoes "because Shannon Peters does it" forgetting that those horses are managed in a way that 99 percent of other horses are not, and they have a team of the best professionals out there working on these horses and monitoring them.
    The people stupid enough to make a major change to their horses care just because BNT did, are probably not educated enough to know who shannon peters is.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

4 members found this post helpful.