The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Supplements for skin/hair

Does anyone feed extra supplements this time of year to help with shedding out and getting a nice summer coat? My horses are on a complete feed, lots of hay, etc. I am feeding corn oil right now because my Thb started losing a little weight (vet checked him, all is okay just needed a few more calories). I was just wondering if anyone had another other suggestions before spring gets here.

Is he getting the exact amount per weight of complete feed? If he is getting less, he made need a vitamin/mineral supplement. Also, I have heard good things about chia seed to help with coat, since it has good ratios of the proper omegas.

I quit using corn oil. As a fat supplement, rice bran might be a good addition instead.

Whole flax seed, a cup a day year-round. Glorious healthy coats and no skin problems among my herd.
    Click here before you buy.

1 members found this post helpful.

Rice bran pellets make my girl glow !

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Whole flax seed, a cup a day year-round. Glorious healthy coats and no skin problems among my herd.
    The amount of flax my mare gets varies depends upon the temperature and her weight. But anywhere from 2 to 8 oz of ground. No scratches, no rainrot, a glorious coat that seems to be coated with Teflon because she's self-cleaning. Which is a huge benefit to her mostly white paint self. She's shiny right now. Shaggy and shiny.

I feed my horse McCauley's BioTime. I started feeding it for his feet but it also has made his mane and tail grow like mad and his coat just gleams.

People have often commented that he's almost iridescent. Part of it is good genes but that stuff really puts a shine on coats.

SmartOmega3.... Everyone in the barn noticed the difference after I put the black beast on it last spring.

I second the SmartOmega 3. It has fish oil as well as flax and gives a shine like I've never seen.

If you're looking for weight gain, however, you're probably going to need something more than a little scoop of flax supplement. I use rice bran this time of year and will switch back to the SmartOmega in the Spring when it warms up. Oil or some other fat supplement like Amplify would also work.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

I am a huge fan of flax. I have friends who swear by Super 14 this time of year to shed them out much quicker.

I agree with flax. I believe whole ground is the best kind, unless you want to buy them whole then grind it yourself. It has replaced flakey, dry skin and a dull coat with oily, healthy skin and a shimmery coat! And I feel good that it is "natural" product

1 members found this post helpful.

Flax or a flax supplement. Omega Horse Shine is awesome, and I just started using Equine Omega Plus.
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

I fed SmartOmega for a long time (and before that SmartShine Ultra). Also fed flax. I am getting better results with Cocosoya oil, both weight and shine.

High quality feed and good hay and lots of rubbing are also key ingredients. Not all feed, complete or not, is created equal.

SmartOmega3 helps provide nutrients when the grass cannot or if there is a limited amount of grass as there is in winter. It also helps with healthy skin and coat. Corn oil has Omega 6's which create inflammation and should be avoided.

a glorious coat that seems to be coated with Teflon because she's self-cleaning
    This is what I love about flax--even my two pintos, no matter how FILTHY they make themselves, shed dirt like water off a duck's back and are WHITE, all by themselves.

Corn oil has Omega 6's which create inflammation and should be avoided.
    Overly simplistic. Not all inflammation is bad, for one thing. Not to mention we manufacture our own Omega 6 fatty acids right along with the Omega 3s we also manufacture. Unpopular fat sources get a hugely bad rap for all the wrong reasons. We omnivores consume TOO MUCH of it, that's what's bad about it. The poor little fraction of Omega 6 is a minor sideshow.

MSM is also great for coats, not just joints and feet.

Where do you folks buy your flax seed?

Feed store. They will sell as much of a 50 pound bag as I want, in 10-pound increments. Very handy!

Thanks deltawave! I don't make it to real feed stores very often, and I've never seen it at Tractor Supply. Might be worth a trip when my Omega Horseshine runs out.

Places that specialize in feeding wild birds will often have it, too, and I'll bet TSC could order it for you if there are any helpful people working there, like at our local one. They also sell small bags at grocery and whole food stores, but the markup is CRAZY.