The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Preacher View Post
    Hello Everybody

I used to post on this thread several years ago, but now I kinda hang out in the Off Course Barn.....
    You know, I saw that video posted earlier and I thought I want to know who that young woman is and what she's doing now. I bet she's really interesting.

And you are!!
    Last edited by ellebeaux; Jan. 24, 2013 at 07:19 PM. Reason: ooops, guess I meant your wife?!

Quote Originally Posted by ellebeaux View Post
    You know, I saw that video posted earlier and I thought I want to know who that young woman is and what she's doing now. I bet she's really interesting.

And you are!!
    The young woman is the Preachers daughter and she was a teenager at the time. Very brave.

Please support the reintroduction of h.r. 6388 if you are against the BL! Write to your Congress person or go here https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/112/hr6388 and click reintroduce!
    Please support S. 1406 to amend the Horse Protection Act and Prevent all Soring Tactics to the Tennessee Walking horse!
    https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/113/s1406

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RedmondDressage View Post
    Interestingly many (most?) of the young horse winners do not make it to the highest levels of our sport. Most FEI trainers I know cross those types of big movers off of their list when buying prospects. They want floaty but medium sized movers who are built nice and uphill. The gaits they will develop with correct training. This makes me wonder if we won't see the young horse judging evolve to reward the qualities you have mentioned above over time. If the goal is to produce sporthorses that reach the highest level of our discipline I would imagine that it will. If the goal becomes producing flashy horses strictly for the YH classes then obviously it won't. I hope that with time we see the former rather than the latter.
    I really hope so too! In the meantime we seem to have many people confused between huge moving young horses which they can't train or ride and the desire to advance through dressage levels through quality training.

Quote Originally Posted by Bats79 View Post
    I really hope so too! In the meantime we seem to have many people confused between huge moving young horses which they can't train or ride and the desire to advance through dressage levels through quality training.
    You mean, like Totilas?

A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Horrific, I'm crying

That made me so uncomfortable I had to stop watching. It amazes me how emotionally blind some humans can be with regards to animals.

1 members found this post helpful.

Omg, I could not watch that ether. Its so unnatural, even the music makes me cringe. Total freak show. Poor horses

That poor roan looks like his front feet hurt so bad, he places his front end down so lightly and rocks back so hard. His hock are so close to the ground in his rack. This is plain sad. Poor, poor horses.
    Don't squat with yer spurs on
    Skip's Passionate Girl "Hannah"- 2003 AQHA Mare
    Port of Call "Cruise" 3/4 Thoroughbred -1/4 Clyde 4/15/98-3/1/12 RIP my handsome boY

I only watched it long enough to see the atrocious canter. I find this so disgusting, the horses look malformed. How anyone can think this looks good is beyond me.

Yes, it's horrible. I owned a TWH (flat-shot, or what was known in the day - mid 80s -- "plantation" walker). The nicer side of owning a Walker, just going the way they go. Unlike Saddlebreds who are trained to "pace", the TWH running walk IS a natural gait.

Ask me how I know. I rode dressage with him. Awesome, big ground covering trot with lots of suspension and elasticity-- but getting a clean transition from getting from walk to trot (without him doing a few strides of the running walk) took some time to teach.

I owned him from the age of 3...the running walk just showed up on the lunge when he was 4. It was not trained into him.

He was awesome. But his canter sucked. Wonderful horse...lost him at age 18. So sorry to know what happens to others of his breed.

The problem is MONEY. It is ALWAYS the problem! Take away the MONEY and all incentive to torture horses this way is eliminated.

The TWHBEA, the Chamber of Commerce of Shelbyville, TN, the vets and farriers who wink and nod and enable these people NEED TO BE OUTED AND SHAMED into changing the TWH show world to rewarding the natural, flat-gaited and non-stacked, padded and sored horse.

You'd think in the age of video this would have been accomplished a long time ago. Especially considering about 98% of TWH's, whose registration fees power the TWHBEA, are flat-shod pleasure and trail horses.

4 members found this post helpful.

i understand that people do not like big lick TWH, but what has this got to do with dressage? and please do not say dressage is all training, if that were so we would not have separate hunter, eventing and such forums.

I don't know what is more disgusting, the gates or the ghoulish looking men riding them. Makes me ill.

My friend rode a Morgan in the lower levels of saddle seat back in the 80's. I loved watching her horse float along with his pretty high stepping gaits. What I just saw in that video does not resemble anything like that. I get that money caused all this, but where did the idiot snowball first start rolling down the hill? At what point did stepping higher become more important than moving to the fullest extent of the true gait? Is this one of those events where the people who win all the money make all the rules/criteria?

Quote Originally Posted by nccatnip View Post
    I don't know what is more disgusting, the gates or the ghoulish looking men riding them. Makes me ill.
    ^ My sentiments exactly!
    Libby

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - DAVE BARRY

Quote Originally Posted by tbchick84 View Post
    My friend rode a Morgan in the lower levels of saddle seat back in the 80's. I loved watching her horse float along with his pretty high stepping gaits. What I just saw in that video does not resemble anything like that.
    It doesn't resemble it because it's not a Morgan, for one, and it's not Saddle Seat, for two. Just because they ride in a cutback saddle does NOT make it Saddle Seat. Big lick and TWH and really, anything that doesn't trot, is not Saddle Seat.

3 members found this post helpful.

My first horse was an unregistered Tennessee Walking Horse and he had the natural 'singlefoot' or 'running walk.' He did not trot at all. His canter was just like any other horse's canter. He was bareoot and a joy to ride. The running walk was born into him, not trained in. I was 13 and just looking for any horse. Made no difference to me whether it trotted, tolted etc. Boy was that gait smooth. My friends would beg me to let them ride him on our trail rides. And it was effortless for him, unlike what is shown on that video. How can people profess to 'love' their horses, and submit them to that bastardization?

4 members found this post helpful.

I don't get the point of Big Lick. All of the stuff they do is totally unnatural - so what's the point?

That horse is probably hoping his/her fat a$$ of a rider will just tumble off backwards.
    God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses. ~R.B. Cunninghame Graham