The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Geez... it makes me Sick watching that! The gray when he starts.... cantering?? I don't know.... he just makes me feel sick, he looks like he's in so much pain! That has to be tearing up his ligaments/tendons/bones/everything.

OUCH!! I feel horrible for those poor horses!!
    ~Buy an OTTB, Save a Life, Gain a Forever Bond.~
    Let's say NO to Kill Buyers

2 members found this post helpful.

It breaks my heart to think that we STILL do this to horses....imagine someone did this to a dog or cat-break/set the tail, pad/weigh the paws and use extremely harsh collars...Owners would be sent to jail! Those spurs and "equipment" only show an ego driven, horrible rider with zero skill. I could not make it to the canter...

Quote Originally Posted by angel View Post
    Can any one tell me why those riders stay so hunched over?
    Because they're channeling Snidely Whiplash riding a giraffe?

6 members found this post helpful.

The riders remind me of Ichabod Crane - pre Johnny Depp, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by 2tempe View Post
    Beyond ridiculous IMO. This stuff makes me nuts. I guess the "sort-of-good" observation is that there were only three horses in a championship class and darn few spectators supporting the craziness.
    And old fat guys riding them, which gives me hope that they'll soon be old dead guys and there won't be anyone stepping up to fill their disgusting shoes.

My theory is that the only reason anyone is still doing it is because they're the ones who don't know how to do anything else, and after doing it their whole lives are unable to admit how wrong it is.

11 members found this post helpful.

Perhaps to hide their forked tail?

Made me feel sick to watch. The most unnatural movement I've ever seen. Why do people do this?
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

3 members found this post helpful.

Now you know why the "TWH Soring" thread over on Off Course is still going. The vast majority of us are 100% to-the-core disgusted over the Big Lick/Padded Performance world. The soring issue was the foundation, but it now extends to the chains, stacks, bands & bits.

No, not all TWH riders/exhibitors do that crap. But it is out there, lurking in the shadows.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

4 members found this post helpful.

IDK, but they just look like evil perverts.

14 members found this post helpful.

What? You don't find that beautiful? Not the pinnacle of training and horsemanship?

Check out the thread on "off course" that Chocomare mentioned.
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

That is one of the sickest things I've watched in the horse world. How can the SPCA or whatever body governs horse cruelty allow this to go on?

I have no love of the big lick stuff. But the tails are not broken. the set is achieved by nicking a tendon and putting the horse in a set while it heals so that it heals longer. Horses retain the ability to swish flies quite well when out of the set. or brace.

My opinion on the video aside, I have to ask.... WHY is this in the dressage forum?? Yes, I know all horses (most horses) canter and therefore dressage people might elucidate the topic, but a conversation on the relative merits of saddleseat amongst the dressage community is bound to be rather stilted. Probably better posted in Off Course.
    Last edited by Lost_at_C; Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Old age
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'd not make it as a judge, that's for sure.

question-why do most of those riders look as though they are hunched over with stomach cramps?
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    I'd not make it as a judge, that's for sure.

question-why do most of those riders look as though they are hunched over with stomach cramps?
    From a total mechanical view, I think they may have to lean forward to not tip off the back of the horse. The horses are so drastically stacked in the front (notice the girths on all of them), I think to stay with them, you'd have to lean/hunch forward. Also, I bet leaning over their shoulders may help exaggerate the movement...put MORE weight on the front end.

This makes me sick. One of my best friends showed walking horses as a kid. She and her mom refused to show their horses in the big licks and actually had to find a new trainer because they wanted to keep their horses flat shod. This would have 20 years ago, too....horrible. Glad the TWH in my life who recently passed at the grand old age of 30+ NEVER experienced that horror show.

the whole "big lick" motion is supposedly based on one poor horse long ago who foundered aka was in serious pain and thus moved that way "naturally".

Not like these people hide- just arrest everyone who shows up to show in "big licks", and pretty soon it'll be gone.

4 members found this post helpful.

How would you even let a person compete with the horses back legs touching the ground every stride! Good lord!

These guys are built so incredibly strong these days, giant bone, lots of substance and border line coarse so that they can stand the incredibly INCREDIBLE pressure put on their joints, and bodies.

The lighters ones probably dont last long I guess.

Any group can become this blind... Unfortunately.
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

can't watch.
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

The guy on the grey pinto totally creeps me out. Looks like a Praying Mantis or...I don't know what??

I don't think that's a canter though - isn't that their running walk?

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    the whole "big lick" motion is supposedly based on one poor horse long ago who foundered aka was in serious pain and thus moved that way "naturally".

Nope. Midnight Sun was the horse you mention. He could "Strike a Lick" on his own, God-given ability & talent, honed by proper training.

Trainers saw Midnight Sun win WGC 2 years and said "Oh, we can get ours to break higher! How we gonna do that? I know, we'll cheat." A chemical caused one horse to lift their legs higher & faster and so the decades of pain & torture started. Best explained in this well-published/shared article, More Than Sore.

Alas, cheating and short-cuts to bring up performance are used across all equine breeds & disciplines. Close to my heart, of course, is the draft Big Hitch world where pressure shoeing, bigger/heavier scotch bottom shoes & assorted chemical cocktails are used to get that Big Knee Action that's being pinned.

All for a ribbon and, maybe, a check.
    Last edited by ChocoMare; Jan. 21, 2013 at 01:19 PM.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Any group can become that blind. They can also become resistant to what the rest of us/outsiders consider common sense as they embrace the style and turn it into a cultural thing. So by making negative statements about the style it becomes a lifestyle issue and gets defended even more.

"We've always done it this way and you are just prejudiced against our values, you people who aren't from around here. You think you are better than us, you think we are all ignorant etc."

One of the issues that I see is that this is a relatively recent phenomenon - maybe wendy is right although it's the first time I'd ever heard the story. The Horse Protection Act was passed in about 1970, I have very vivid memories of articles written at the time and I also don't recall the packages at that time, I recall a long, long foot or in the case of ASB's a tall foot. I remember a cuffed quarter boot on the TWH, sort of like a bell boot cross.
    So even with the HPA it's been following this trend to have a useless show ring gait since the '50's. Twenty years of perfecting chemical and physical practices to obtain the high breaking gait and then since the '70's it's gotten even more arcane, masking of the illegal chemicals with other chemicals, application of topical anaesthetic to mask immediate pain responses, Good God.
    S
    ince we are over in dressage I am sure that if all of you cast your memories back there have been trends that have engendered controversy. Changes in what constituted the right kind of horse, the right kind of going, more and more specializations through breeding and training. More is better and all that.

Other disciplines have gone to extremes as well, where is the canter in a WP horse? I can't watch that at all, there's no impulsion, none. They are supposed to self carry and I keep wanting to go out there and help them do that.

There was an excellent documentary produced by the BBC regarding the show ring being the worst thing that had ever happened to certain breeds of dogs. GSD, King Cavalier spaniels, Rhodesian ridgebacks, pugs. Breeding to meet the standard when it created dogs so deformed they had to be put down. People are just crazy and they make up excuses for why this is so - it's human vanity plain and simple.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

6 members found this post helpful.