The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle pricing question - small tear in seat seam

I have been riding in my current dressage saddle for about 4 years and while I like it just fine, I'm starting to think about moving on to a different saddle. I currently have an older Barnsby Richard Davison, and I think the thing is like the Terminator - it will outlive us all...however, the seam along the seat has come loose in one area, so there is a small "tear" along the seat. It's not visible in the saddle, and it doesn't bother me when I'm riding. However, I know this will impact the price/value to someone purchasing it. I have no interest in patching it.

Opinions on this? How should I take this into account when listing the saddle? Appreciate the input!
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

A Voice Halted

It certainly will effect pricing, by how much depends on the rest of the saddle's condition, desirability of the brand/model, price, etc.

I googled a bit to see what your model is going for...looks like in the $900-1200 range, depending on how old is "older."

I'd probably figure on taking $50-100 off the price for the tear. It might help buyer confidence a bit if you can say that it's been there for a certain amount of time and hasn't gotten worse.

I don't know what the current repair price is, but it used to be 400+ to replace the seat. I've never heard of patching one (could be, we just never did it at the saddlery) I'd say you will take a substantial hit on it.

If it is on a seam, perhaps you can repair it yourself, if not, then a patch would be worse than a tear, imo

Thanks, all.

Just to clarify, I am not intending on patching or replacing the seat. It has been this way since I purchased the saddle, really, so I wouldn't waste the money just to sell it down the road anyway. It's not bothering me, and while it might turn off some potential buyers, I don't think it's going to get worse for a long while - just want to get others' input on how to account for this in the price.

I'm not really in a rush, so I will just try to price it fairly (it's in excellent condition otherwise) and see what happens.
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

A Voice Halted