The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Woman Injured By Dead Horse

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/br...ead_horse.html

Not far from where I live. Anyone heard anything?

Is it me or do more horses seem to be dying of heart conditions then before? Maybe its the media? How frightening..

Well that's rather unfortunate...both parts :/

proving again that the only thing predicable about a horse (or any animal) is that they are unpredictable: they are even dangerous when dead.

8 members found this post helpful.

Our riding school some 50 years ago lost an 18 year old good looking chestnut gelding to a heart attack while on a guided trail ride.
    The horse was retired from the mounted police at 14 and had been a very good, solid school horse and in perfect health.
    No one was hurt, they said he just dropped to his knees and keeled over, the rider, a young fellow, scrambled loose.

Glad that she was not hurt badly in the fall.

Some times, that happens, sadly, to people and horses.

I had a horse faint with me and he pinned me down for a bit, until he came to and got off my leg.
    I thought my leg was broken but it was not, but somehow had two broken ribs from that fall.

Poor woman, that has to be traumatic.

I've had horses fall on me, it can be pretty scary. But both were fine, just clumsy. (one I wasn't even on)

Ages ago someone at the barn had her horse die of an aneurysm (sp?) while we were all riding out on trails. He just stopped, stood still for a second, twisted his head up and to one side and then dropped like a stone. Straight down, legs folded up. Landed in a sternum position, more or less. I think he was dead before he hit the ground. She was still kind of on him, whole thing was fast. She was pretty devastated, this was a horse she just loved to pieces.

My oldest sister's horse dropped from under her too, same way as above: straight down. One second she was astride her gelding waiting for her first class in her first show ever, next second she's standing over him, leg on each side, feet still in the stirrups. He had narcolepsy and was fine.

We get complacent around horses, especially ones we know. We should be more attentive, but really there's no way to be 100% attentive 100% of the time around them. I had a horse fall on me as it was coming in from turnout. I was holding the gate open for someone else, he hit a patch of ice and went down sideways right on top of me. Split second. Never saw it coming...me or the horse. We were both fine other than bumps and bruises...we were both young then too.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I knew a trail horse that was used for hack line that died on trail, had a heart attack

I also know someone that was cantering and the horse had a mild stroke and fell down and pinned them

Scary! Max Bonham told me a story about a time he was almost killed under a horse. As I remember it, he was schooling a horse over fences in a large field. The horse died over the top of the fence and landed in a heap on the other side. Max was caught - from the waist up - under the horse. He said he was under the horse's belly and couldn't move and was basically suffocating. Luckily, a farmer was plowing the next field over, saw the whole thing, and came and pulled the horse off of him. I can't imagine what that would have been like.

Years ago in Europe, a rider asphyxiated when her horse died while riding in the indoor late at night alone. She was pinned against the wall and no one found her until morning.
    “Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.”
    Drew Carey

A year ago a friend's draft cross was found dead in her stall one morning from a heart attack, at ten years old, no warning symptoms. An autopsy found abnormalities in her heart so it was just a matter of time. This was a trail horse and everyone was grateful it didn't happen on the trail for this very reason.

I wonder why the headline was not ?;

Woman couldn't move fast enough to prevent injury by falling horse.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Equibrit, that would be so much less sensational!

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    I wonder why the headline was not ?;

Woman couldn't move fast enough to prevent injury by falling horse.
    Definitely less sensational, but much more true! Or at least "woman injured when horse dies and pins her to the ground."

I was expecting that somehow she was actually injured by a DEAD horse. As in, when examining the dead horse, some wacky involuntary post-mortem movement caused it to twitch and kick her in the head or something..? Or a dead horse somehow rolled off a rendering truck and caused some sort of freak accident?

A sad story, but the super sensational headline left me a little disappointed when I read it.

Default Name

Bumping this up- has anyone heard who the rider was (name)??
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day, saying "I will try again tomorrow" -Mary Ann Radmacher

Wearing a helmet saved my eyesight

Have not heard any more about it! Weird, huh???

Anything on the BCHP site?

i had the philly news on last night and they said she did not want to be interviewed, but she did thank her rescuers. I imagine the trauma from losing her horse AND the trauma of being stuck under him was pretty upsetting.