The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hoof landing?

I was looking at my horse walking today because I wanted to make sure everything is ok. We've handled an injury and soreness in the back legs recently. Her back right hoof lands almost completely on line with her front right hoof print. Her left back hoof lands to the outside of her front left hoof print. Why is this? She doesn't look like she is limping or anything.

It can be as simple as the inherent crookedness in the horse (like us they are 'right handed or left handed')

Beyond that it could be 100 things-tightness in any number of places. Especially since you mention it is post injury.

Without a baseline for comparison you really can't say whether or not this is "normal" for your horse. Has she always traveled this way or is this a recent change in her way of going?

I don't know. I never really looked to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Haleye5197 View Post

I don't know. I never really looked to see.
    Then you have no baseline or history for comparison. If you continue with observations and note any changes, in time you will have an idea of what is "normal" for your horse and abrupt changes in that would be considered "abnormal".

My gelding does something similar only it's with the right hind. He naturally has a big over step in the walk but he brings the right hind up a little further and swings it to the outside slighty. This is why his left canter is not so great right now. He's got some ongoing chiro issues we are trying to resolve and I believe this might be why. Working with my MT/chiro, doing stretches with him every other day and correct consistent conditioning have really helped him.

Now you know it's there... monitor it
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

I agree this might be "normal" for your horse, as in, that's what she's always done, BUT, that doesn't mean nothing is wrong, nothing to fix. I would not at all just accept it, even in the face of not having a pre-injury baseline to compare to.

It might well be this horse's natural crookedness, but that still doesn't mean ignore it - the more a horse is worked in a crooked state, the more problems you're inviting down the road.

It would be helpful to get video now, noting how long post-injury, etc, and work in your riding to feel and correct any crooked way of going, which should be done anyway.

Take new video every month or so and see how things are going

I would like to add that "normal" vs. "abnormal" in the context I am using it could mean good or bad. An improvement is abnormal just as a deterioration is abnormal. Either way, what you observe on a consistent basis over time is your baseline. Any changes you make should be done as isolated discreet elements so that you can observe how changing one variable affects the baseline.

If you change a bunch of stuff at the same time, i.e. hoof care, chiro, body work, diet, work regiment, turnout . . . regardless of whether things get better or worse, you really have no idea which variable or combination is responsible.

1 members found this post helpful.

Since you have no previous baseline, this is now your baseline.

Video, take some pictures, and make some notes.

Now you have something to compare in the future.