The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default For those of you who like to do conformation critiques

I posted pictures of our 2 and 3 year old homebreds to my facebook page. If you want to comment on their conformation, and then guess what you think they move like/what their future most likely career would be, I thought it would be fun. They are all registered TBs, and will all (hopefully) race first. If we still have them when they are done racing, I will school them and send them onto their next careers (unless they do super well and we keep them to breed). Revvie is the only one we are planning in advance to keep after racing. If anyone wants to play, after there's a few responses, I'll post what they move like and what their career type tendencies are.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...6450921&type=3

Sheila

PS, I posted here in Eventing, since there seems to be more conformation critiques than any of the other forums, plus eventers have a better grasp, IMO, of suitability for a wide range of disciplines.
    Sheila Zeltt
    Chestnut Run Stable & Zeltt Racing Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

Your Facebook page won t open

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=a668f0e1df

Hmm. Try this link. Maybe I didn't copy it right the first time.
    Sheila
    Sheila Zeltt
    www.Zeltt.com

The link worked fine for me!

They both have a lot of substance! My three year old (March foal) looks much more lanky teenager right now.

I like the Chestnut 3 year old quite a bit (Gem?). She's a nice type. She looks pretty powerful behind...not sure how she moves but she looks like she should be a decent jumper. I generally like them a bit more rangy but she looks to have a strong back. The Partner's Hero Filly (2 year old) also looks like a nice sport type.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Thank you guys. BFNE, the chestnut 3 yr old seems to be nice o/f---I've only lunged her over cavaletti on the high setting as part of starting her under saddle. She's got a very pretty, very round jump even over just the 1' cavaletti and has a lovely, slow moving canter. I'm thinking she'll probably be a show hunter after she's done racing. The 2 yr old by Partner's Hero, is a strong mover, if you know what I mean. She's super powerful off the ground when she bucks and plays and likes jumping the drainage ditches in our field. I think she'll end up as either a jumper or an eventer after racing. She's very, very brave about everything.

Sheila
    Sheila Zeltt
    www.Zeltt.com

What kind of racing are they going to do? Steeples? Flat?

I love this article on eventing conformation: http://www.jwequine.com/jwequine/pdf...on-Eventer.pdf

I like all of them below the knees except the last one (second chestnut). Not terrible, but not as nice as the previous three. Could be camera angle too.

The first bay and the first chestnut have very similar body types. I like the strong back, neck set, loin and the location of loin to POH. Their croups are short-ish however, and I don't like how low their tail sets are. Second chestnut has similar body type, but her tail set isn't as low and her croup isn't as short to my eye.

The second bay has her LS in front of her POH and while many people find that ideal, I don't prefer it (I prefer it right over the POH). But I prefer her HQ (croup length, stifle location, tail set, POB) to the first two. Her back is longer too, which could create better movement and more scope. My money is that she moves really inverted but if you got her working over her back, she might have the best movement out of all of them.

The last horse has the nicest body out of all of them and I can see why you would keep her. I'm not the best at identifying confo issue on the legs so can't describe what really bothers me. I say they tie in below the knee slightly. I'm sure it won't cause her any soundness issues, and I'm really just being picky. In my opinion, if she had the legs of the other horses, she'd be much better. I also don't like her hocks. I think they are too low and open, making them prone to stress.

If I were to pick, I think I'd lean toward the second bay filly.

Take all of this with a grain of salt! I'm not a horse professional Any one of these horses could be a big winner in racing or eventing. So much of it depends on heart and that can't be seen.

I'd love to see how they move!

Thank you AzuWish!

Quote Originally Posted by AzuWish View Post
    What kind of racing are they going to do? Steeples? Flat?
    Flat

The first bay and the first chestnut have very similar body types.
    It's funny, because they do have similar body types, but neither are related to each other. The first chestnut is 16+ hands, and the first bay is 15 hands at the moment. The two bays have the same mother, and the two chestnuts have the same mother. In fact, the two chestnuts are FULL sisters and they look less alike body wise, IMO. [/QUOTE]

The second bay has her LS in front of her POH ...............................My money is that she moves really inverted but if you got her working over her back, she might have the best movement out of all of them.
    What does LS stand for? I got POH is point of hip. As far as movement, she's the second best mover of the batch, but doesn't really move inverted at all, uses her back a lot. She's a very powerful mover with a lot of thrust. (Probably won't be the easist trot to ride!) She moves very straight and efficient without any wasted motion which is what you want for a racehorse. She's got a bit of suspension in her trot and canter, and her gallop is very efficient. When we picked her sire to breed to her mother, we laughed that he was ugly until he started to move then he was pretty breathtaking. Her mother is a very pretty mare, with hunter type daisy cutter movement.

The last horse has the nicest body out of all of them and I can see why you would keep her. ........................ I say they tie in below the knee slightly. ..........................I also don't like her hocks. I think they are too low and open, making them prone to stress.
    This one (the second chestnut) is the nicest mover of the four. I think she has the best sport horse body type, although she is lighter boned than her full sister. I think that is what may make her looked tied in below the knee to you (since she doesn't in real life). She's big bodied over less than ideal bone, IMO. She also isn't great at STANDING for pictures. She'd rather be DOING! lol Her hocks have a LOT of scar tissue in them. She got tangled up in a high tensile wire fence when she was 2months old. The tendons, and joint sheath were exposed. She lived in bandages from the stifle down on both hind legs, often being changed twice a day, until she was 16 months old. That's why we plan on keeping her wether she races or no. I've gotten VERY attached to her after all that intensive rehab care. She knows she's "my" horse too. I don't know if she'll be able to race with all the scar tissue in her hocks, but we'll see. She's the one with dressage movement--lots and lots of suspension and sit behind (despite the injury!).

Sheila
    Sheila Zeltt
    www.Zeltt.com

And I think I failed to mention, I like all four. I hope you didn't think I was beating up on anyone.

That's probably why I thought her hocks looked funky if there's scar tissue.

Interesting to note on the second bay's movement. SOLD! lol

On ugly and then great movement, I wasn't a fan of the tb I'm buying now (March 1!!!!) until I saw her move and was blown away. I never go off straight conformation. Always watch the horse first. I could never buy sight unseen ... I'd make a huge mistake!

LOL--oh no, I didn't think you were beating up on anyone! I thought you were very polite. It's COTH, I was kind of expecting someone to rip them to pieces, but I thought it would be a good learning op for a lot of us. I, for sure, don't know all their is to conformation. I know they all have pros and cons for everything--conformation, movement, temperament, work ethic, etc. Plus, I'm not that sensitive. lol

I always think it's funny when people (general observation on the horse world at large, not this particular discussion) say a horse can't do x because of conformation y. Yes, things do incline a horse towards certain movement or abilities, but conformation isn't a be all end all.

Like the second bay. She is def sport horse potential, conformation, movement. She loves attention and likes our "work" sessions, BUT she has a VERY high opinion of herself, doesn't suffer fools greatly, is smart as a whip, and has a bit of a stubborn streak. And if she feels you are being unfair to her in anyway she will get nasty (lol, just ask my husband who isn't quite as sensitive about how he asks for things!). She's a lovely, sweet girl until you cross her about anything, so probably won't be suitable for the vast majority of people as a sport horse. LOL--but we hope it stands her in good stead racing!

That's exciting about your new girl. Some of them are just like that. Not the prettiest hanging in the field, but then turn around to be poetry in motion! Good luck with her. Do you have pictures?

Sheila
    Sheila Zeltt
    www.Zeltt.com

Oh I can't resist a picture request!

Most of the pictures I have are carefully taken to make her look her best in an attempt to reflect her true quality:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-6.../s720/FDD1.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-0.../s720/FDD9.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-w...s720/FDD12.jpg

Of course then my dad comes to the barn and posts this pic of us on Facebook: http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...36524503_n.jpg

She can look pretty rangy, but I love her!