The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Boarding barns, va

I wonder if any of you would be able to help me. I am relocating with my family from England to the us. We will be leaving in McLean or great falls so looking for a boarding barn in the area. Ideally within 20miles so was thinking McLean, great falls, Vienna etc. Can anyone recommend any. We are moving over about may time and will be bringing out gelding. We will also be looking to buy another shortly after we have arrived. We would like some rings to ride in and some trails. Turnout is also important.

Thanks, Laura

Southdown Farms in Great Falls might work. Join the Great Falls Horse Network and post so that you can find some of the smaller barns.

There are a lot of threads on this, so try the search option up top. For location keyword you might try "NoVa" which is short for Northern Virginia. Also try virginiaequestrian.com.

Agree with the above.

My first thought was if moving to Great Falls, get a place with a barn on it.

Also, keep in mind that 20 miles from Great Falls, McLean or Vienna may sound perfectly reasonable, but we have nasty traffic here and that 20 miles can be a nightmare at certain times of the day.

Good luck and welcome.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I would definitely drive around at different times of day to get an idea of what the traffic will be like, ideally before you have to make a decision. Having said that, if you live in any major city in the UK it really won't be far off what you're used to already, probably just more spread out because America IS more spread out.

Expect prices in that area to be similar to the UK (maybe slightly cheaper depending, but i'd be surprised if it was more expensive), but remember most places won't offer a DIY option. Turnout is generally much better in this country than you'll be used to - stabled horses usually go out all day or night depending on the season.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Also, keep in mind if/where you'll be working. I second the suggestion to drive around at different times during the day to get a feel for what you'll be dealing with.

I recently moved back here after four years away at college. I live on the border of Mclean and used to keep my horse in Fairfax Station and, later, Great Falls. However, when I moved back here, I got a job in Maryland and have since moved my horse out to Poolesville. The commute is much easier and more predictable even though I'm technically traveling a longer distance.

Virginiaequestrian.com is a fantastic resource. If you do want to poke around the Maryland side a little, check out the Equiery.

Good luck!

Good advice from the others already. You might also contact the Saddlery (http://www.thesaddleryinc.com/). They are located in Great Falls and might know of smaller barns that would suit your needs.