The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Free online dressage lesson scheme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbBLpLYuE8I

Am I really the first victim? Video from today .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP8zJApyd9g

I tried to make one yesterday. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtF0ep1ovpg
    But, my camera does not zoom in. And I apparently was not interested in shortening my reins or sitting up yesterday.

You didn't have enough impulsion going into your leg yield. Leg yield does not build hind end energy the way say shoulder in does so you've really got to have your ducks in a row to utilize this exercise. I've found it best to be collected in the corner, to SI, to two steps of HP then straighten and ooze into extended trot. I may use a few steps of leg yield while in extended on a horse that likes to outmove his impulsion (ie go splat in the longer gaits) asking for a longer stride while maintaining a much shallower leg yield is also effective
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    You didn't have enough impulsion going into your leg yield. Leg yield does not build hind end energy the way say shoulder in does so you've really got to have your ducks in a row to utilize this exercise. I've found it best to be collected in the corner, to SI, to two steps of HP then straighten and ooze into extended trot. I may use a few steps of leg yield while in extended on a horse that likes to outmove his impulsion (ie go splat in the longer gaits) asking for a longer stride while maintaining a much shallower leg yield is also effective
    Blah blah blah.... and duh. Now how's about you post a similar video so I'm not the only sucker out there.

I'll try it! We're barely at leg yield level, but any feedback would be good for my poor pony who puts up with my flopping around lol.
    Team Ginger

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    Blah blah blah.... and duh.
    Um... Ok. If you knew these things then a.) why didn't you do them and b.) why did you post a thread that says online dressage lesson if you weren't looking for feedback?
    Why should I schedule my intern, take the time to film, edit and post the video? Is this thread supposed to be some sort of challenge?
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

5 members found this post helpful.

Um... Ok. If you knew these things then a.) why didn't you do them and b.) why did you post a thread that says online dressage lesson if you weren't looking for feedback?
    Why should I schedule my intern, take the time to film, edit and post the video? Is this thread supposed to be some sort of challenge?
    Susan Jaccoma is offering the online dressage lessons. I think Isabeau was just showing the video she sent for critique by Susan.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by NErider View Post
    I'll try it! We're barely at leg yield level, but any feedback would be good for my poor pony who puts up with my flopping around lol.
    That's the spirit!! The more the merrier.

Yes indeed!! A challenge to get more folks to 'jump in.'

"Blah blah, yak yak, more forward, more bend, everybody else's riding sucks." You see, I can summarize all the potential criticisms in just a few words!! I want more victims for the shark pool.....

Come on now, I've done the hard part and been the first victim.

And I generally ride for my own pleasure, I don't pressure myself to do anything at any time. What I can do, when I can get to it, that's my motto!! So the online lesson project will be good for me to get 'this or that' done 'now.'

AND since I'm involved in a larger project, that helps get my 'video personnel' motivated. It's hard to get my 'tech crew' to video just because I want video (of all my lovely flaws.) But if it is for a larger purpose, then I can get compliance more easily.

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    Susan Jaccoma is offering the online dressage lessons. I think Isabeau was just showing the video she sent for critique by Susan.
    Just wanted to offer proof that I'd done the hard part and offered myself up as the first victim. And in hasn't killed me (yet....) So maybe some other folks will take comfort in that.

2 members found this post helpful.

So let me be somewhat controversial. Leg yield does not really build the hind end at all. It simply teaches the horse to carry motion over a diagonal that is not normally used by the horse for that purpose except to excape something. What it does do is enforce the collection of the outside diagonal to the degree it would be collected by utilizing the circle...except with the leg yield, the horse must hold the collection in that diagonal while not moving in a rotational direction.

I actually think that the impulsion was fairly good in this video you posted, Isabeau. It is allowing the horse to keep the hindquarters under properly rather than trailing as we often see when the horse is forced to go faster...which is not really impulsion.

Something that would better help you with this exercise is to keep your hands a little lower and your shoulders back. What you are doing here is raising your hands too high, and then trying to compensate for the backward balance that your hands/arms have created by dropping your shoulders forward instead. This configuration of your upper torso also brings the top of the pelvis forward, putting you somewhat on your crotch. When this happens, you do not have effective use of your seat in the saddle, nor your correct weight aids on the stirrups. The video is a little dark, but my guess is that your hands are also rotating inwards a bit. Your thumbs of your hands should slightly point the direction of the motion. Your horse has some nice potential. Just don't let anyone try to get you to rush in the name of "impulsion."

3 members found this post helpful.

lovely angel.... now go out and find someone else to post video. They are working on figuring out how to get SJ commentary overlapped onto the submitted videos. So if they are going to practice the technical stuff, they need more submissions!!

angel I will PM a video link of the same horse from this past summer. Somehow it all looks better without the fuzz and layers of clothing!!

I'll do it. Where do we send it?

Quote Originally Posted by KurPlexed View Post
    I'll do it. Where do we send it?
    Yippee!! Another brave soul.

You upload it to youtube. Instructions here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbBLpLYuE8I

It is also a good idea to like the FB page https://www.facebook.com/SusanJaccomaDressage?fref=ts

This is the woman who is doing the organizing.

https://www.facebook.com/SusanWachowichDressage?fref=ts

They JUST posted the second exercise today.

As soon as my horse and I are capable, we'll do it!

We can leg yield to the right right now, but not so much to the left...so we'll have to pick something a little easier ;-)

The second exercise is spiral in, yield out on circle, to set up canter transition. So 'easier.' Go for it OGP!

I finally got it to load!

Okay - I'll brave it. Next few days...watch for my sorry butt

To the posters who uploaded video for the free lesson, have you recieved feedback yet?

Yes, Susan posted a response to my ride. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCPZnqYzzy8 BUT they are still working out the technology. They are trying to do a voice over of the video.

They just tried this one, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jNG_HiYzG0 but it plays a little 'messy' for me.

They are going to have to do a little 'climb the technology ladder,' with this project. So I don't think we can expect to see a final format for a bit yet.

What a neat idea! I hope my camera likes the cold weather!
    Horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

In a couple of months, I'll do this on a coming 4 year old (because that's when I'll ride him). I have no shame!
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation