The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default finding bad hay

BO grows own hay usually its very good The feeders (well some anyway) check the packed bales for a bad smell and dont feed that. Theres been a few flakes at every feeding that are saved for the cows lately

2 horses today did not clean up there hay. My hoover usually doesnt leave a scrap but there was a flake? or less all over the he wasnt eating it. The horse next door also a hoover didnt eat all his either, so Im thinking this hay is bad Is there an easy way to check hay that doesnt take much time/cost to make sure the hay is ok to eat or just let the horses tell us? No one has stomach problems from this hay yet but I want to make sure what is fed should be good for horses

Thanks
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Moldy Bad hay 1- smells bad. 2- Tends to clump hard rather than coming apart easily 3- generally weighs a bit more (moisture, mold content) feeders just have to take the .5 seconds to notice what is right in front of them in their hands. It's really not hard though I've been at a barn where the help seemed to think that using your sense of smell and touch was akin to asking them to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro . No special testing required

It should definitely be removed BEFORE feeding it to a horse. They usually won't eat it... but... better safe than sorry. My aunt's horse would eat ANNNNNNYTHING including bad hay (I'd set a few bales aside to discard and she got loose in the barn and started nibbling away at them!)

Moldy hay is pretty obvious when you crack open a bale. But sometimes a bale here and there just is unpalatable for whatever reason. I've been getting my hay from the same place for 6 years and normally the horses love it but maybe 2-3 bales out of the 300+ I buy in a year just gets politely declined by the horses, although I've never found a moldy one. I figure maybe some varmint peed on it or something is just "fishy" about it and they don't want to eat it.
    Click here before you buy.

DW been there, done that! Has you kinda scratchin' your head. I figure it happens so seldom I don't argue about it. Besides, they are hard to argue with, they just look at you.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Blair the barn is part co op so Im not sure about all the feeders but at least 2 of them do know whats up.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker