The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default no tack room for me...but I'll still have fun outfitting the cabinet!

Well, instead of focusing on the crappy bad luck we've had with crooked contractors in re: the little ghetto barn, I'll try to focus on something fun, and positive. You guys probably remember my tack amoire purchase off of craigslist:

http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/100_0157.jpg

http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/100_0152.jpg

I am about to finally 'outfit' it with hardware and ideas on the 'insides'

the cabinet came with a chrome saddlerack (think the brass ones) I'll try to edit/post a link to the stuff I mean)

http://www.yourequinestore.com/chromeracks.aspx
    and I have added a board straight down the back ((as it was a corner) to hold the racks. will order two more just like it, and have a total of three. I am intending to retain/keep the two 'closet rod' bars, as I think they'll be great for: drying the wet/just used saddle blanket, and/or putting the 'hook over' swivel hook racks...so, I'm thinking the three saddle racks in between the two bars.....then, bridle hooks/tack hooks on the two side walls...and then? I'm wondering: under the bottom closet rod ? straight in the back on the 'board' the saddle racks will go on....a vertical saddlepad swing rack? so the clean ones could be stored vertically? and swing against the walls out of the way, or straight out for use?
    probably two of these, one on top of the other:
    http://www.chicksaddlery.com/page/CDS/PROD/NB2550

I like the horseshoe style hooks and bridle holders....

anyway. Any other ideas? ? suggestions? gonna also have some of those motion detector battery lights for the cabinet...(or just turn on ones)..gonna also splurge once I find a pretty brass hasp/reproduction looking closure for the front for the lock.....but I do love how the guy adapted the two large front doors to instead being 'bi fold' for me to fold totally back, but not have out in the aisleway!
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

1 members found this post helpful.

Take a look at my armoire' for ideas. I LOVE the pull out baskets.

Can't wait to see your finished project!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Chocomare: thanks! I LOVED your armoire, and did take lots of notice! Now, keep in mind, my cabinet is here:
    http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/100_0154.jpg
    as in: I have the counter cabinets for 'drawer' type stuff....I don't think? I'll have to outfit the cabinet for such because I can use them there (!)....I'm looking at cabinet for tack/pads/bits/saddles....and the counter cabinets for pull out drawers, groom totes, brushes, etc.....
    ayrabz
    --Jimmy Buffett

Oh now I remember you/that cabinet. It is lovely!!!

If you haven't already, peek at the goodies over at The Organized Barn. They have some fab stuff, right up your alley!

I do like my swinging-arm blanket/pad vertical rack
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

You want all your stuff to be lockable/closeable and inside the room? So you have two layers of theft protection? Or are you trying to get a clean look/keep dust off or kinda both, theft and clean?
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Re: something: yes, this is my 'aisleway' so to speak. I wanted a corner tack cabinet that I could indeed lock, mainly because of area configuration, and that being the most out of the way spot, to still keep aisleway useable... but also as you mentioned to keep dust/etc. off. I won't be locking the counter cabinets...... I just wanted a safe area for horse to go in / out of stalls, and be in crossties (bad weather mostly, as in good weather it will be out in washrack area probably) and a dust free/safe spot for tack to reside that can be locked.
    ayrabz
    --Jimmy Buffett

Ah, that's right, now I'm remembering your layout a little better. Not perfectly unfortunately. I like the link you were given, I'm on too much of a budget for someof that though.

I'll tell you what we did when we used the carport for grooming, farrier and bathing. We had a set of shelves on the wall, they were essentally a long box/shelf about four foot long and inches wide, about 36 inches off the floor and all my groom equipment went in there, bathing stuff, hoof preparations. Much simpler than what I do now which is carry a bunch of totes, one for bathing, one for clipping yada yada, very inconvenient. This was a covered cement floored space with one cement block wall in front, an opening to a walk to the back of the house in the upper left and a wood wall on the left. The back and most of the right side were open with supports and there was a spigot at the short right side wall. We put two horizontal cleats on the left wooden wall and plopped this long box on the tops of them, then screwed down through the box into the cleats. The ends on the box made an easy visual barrier for the horse and with a bale of hay there it was really a barrier. If you run out of room under the countertop I could see hanging a shelf like that to the left in your space. I made mine myself and I was 13, of course Dad helped with the power tools and the concept. For the saddle we did the same thing with a free standing wooden rack, two long pieces from the floor up with three shelves crossways, sat the saddle on the top one with a little padding because it wasn't the nice A shape, plenty of room for junk underneath, bridle hung over one tall side, halte and lead over the other. Mind you - I have a huge collection of STUFF now and I'd never be able to fit it all.
    Incredible Invisible

ok, RS that is a GOOD idea....you described it well !
    Now, what my picture doesn't show is: that 'area to the left' that you're talking about has a dutch door that opens directly into the attached run in....
    http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/100_0161.jpg
    so, it wouldn't work for me...but I think its a great idea and good to have here for others!

and, now, the run in now has solid interlocking mats edge to edge
    ayrabz
    --Jimmy Buffett

Oh, so the slider covers it up. Oh well. Gosh that's a pretty picture, don't cuss those workmen out too much, what they did do looks really nice and the mats are great.
    Incredible Invisible

Ayrabz, I plan to do mats in my center aisle. Wondering now your opinion on the interlocking ones. Our local farm store has the straight edge ones on sale starting next week (yes, someone showed me an advance copy of the sale flyer) for just $29 each. I need 25 mats, so was planning to snag them at that price. Am I going to be sorry I didn't do interlocking?

KR...keep in mind my little spot is outbuildings turned into stalls/run in. So, we've done things little by little....first: leveled and compacted the stalls with bluestone, and those were matted first. I wanted interlocking for sure there...and, the dividing wall is put in with screws, so I can move it if need be, so it went right over the mats so they are continuous across both stalls. Once those were done, down the road, I later packed the bluestone in the 'aisle' and again, had those mats cut/installed. My little barn is only 2 stalls....so the 'aisle' is only about 22 ft. long and 12 ft 'wide'. It made no sense to try to excavate what was already there to pour / frame concrete for that area, so, in my case, yes (!) it was worth it to me to have interlocking 'continuous' solid floor covering. Since then, the run in has the same now....knowing I may want to bed one side of it, but more importantly that I did want / intend to hay in there, and didn't want it being eaten off the bluestone. Next up and final (!) mat work: will be putting the same interlocking ones in my outdoor washrack area. I really DO like them, but thats because my area doesnot have any concrete, asphalt, etc. and I hate hate hate the 'bluestone' walking in everywhere. I'm sure? if I had a solid floor aisleway, I'd just get the square better deal ones to use there?

Oh, and Re: the original guy who did the stalls/run in for me did great work. He's just too far away/too busy to be able to be in touch with or get him back....its a new guy entirely that has done things wrong, lied about being licensed, left things undone and basically robbed us out of full payment.......
    ayrabz
    --Jimmy Buffett