The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tall boot help needed

I wear a size 30 breech and while I'm far from petite I'm also not fat. That said, I have VERY wide and VERY long calves but wear a size 7 shoe. I am hoping against hope to avoid custom boots. I'll go that route if I have to but wanted to spend closer to $500 than $1000.

I show right now 2-4 times a year and wear paddocks and 1/2 chaps for schooling so they need to look nice. Oh, and I cannot wear Ariat. They don't ever fit me correctly.

I need at least a 15 1/2 calf and a 19 inch height. With a size 7 shoe. HELP?????
    Can you stress-fracture your brain?

I think you are just the one customs are necessary for! :-(

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Rectiligne. They make really pretty stock boots with a 15 1/2" calf and their tall heights are a bit taller than you are looking for (around 21") so I imagine their regular height might work very well for you.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Check out the DeNiro's from SmartPak. They come in a huge range of calf width and heights, and at just under $700 won't break the bank. I have a pair, and they are absolutely gorgeous. Most people who see them think they're full customs. SmartPak was also great to work with and will do returns/exchanges on them if you don't get the sizing perfect the first time around.
    Why do I like most horses better than most people?

1 members found this post helpful.

I have a friend with a similar description that owns Treadsteps. Also remember that you can buy something that is the right height for you and just a little too small in the calf and have it stretched.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

hunterrider23, BRILLIANT idea! I'm 10 mins from Kroops and they can stretch them and I know there is a great shoe/boot guy in Rockville who stretched my Vogels after I had the zippers put in. I also send Smartpak an email, see what they can do. The Rectiligne website is a pain, and I speak fluent french so that might be a no-go although the boots look stunning.

If you can get them stretched, find a pair that you like the look and price off and get them done! I found that my Sergios stretched nicely, as do the treadsteps. 1/2 an inch is an EASY stretch, and 1" is doable too. The only problem with stretching, is that if you don't wear them for a while, they may have to be stretched again. I've found that by putting my boots on in the morning and wearing them all day, they'll stretch well because your calf is smaller in the morning, and as it swells during the day, the leather will generally go with it.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

I've been really impressed with the Treadsteps - a couple of my girls have them and they've held up beautifully.

I stretched my last pair (twice, they definitely shrink back down if you put them in a closet for over a year!), and then went custom for the new ones.

Check out the Treadsteps. I have their Donatello field boot since I don't show and am a pretty casual rider so I went with their least expensive option But I think they would fit what you are describing. They have been great for me and I think they ran a little tall. 6 months later and I still use the heel lifts in them and I measured my height accurately.

H-

Have you tried the Sergio's? I bought Monacos, never broke them (and they are now for sale on eBay!) and happened to stumble into the Tack Box over the weekend. If you can make the trek out to Middleburg, the Sergio Grasso boots are on sale up there and they come in a million different size and height combos. They will also order for you if not in stock and you still get the sale price. Tack Box also has the Tredstep boots and they are lovely, by far the most comfortable foot bed, beautiful styling, and definitely the right price! I have Tredstep paddy boots and love, love, love them!

Quote Originally Posted by ShaSamour View Post
    Check out the DeNiro's from SmartPak. They come in a huge range of calf width and heights, and at just under $700 won't break the bank. I have a pair, and they are absolutely gorgeous. Most people who see them think they're full customs. SmartPak was also great to work with and will do returns/exchanges on them if you don't get the sizing perfect the first time around.
    My deniros are comfortable and pretty but have no held up well in the 9 months (riding 3-4 days a week, one horse, not to mention the 6ish week break from riding during that 9m period) I have had them. They have stretched and dropped a ton (I can put my whole hand down the boot now and they have dropped at least 1.5-2"), the heels have peeled off both boots and the little brass thing on the swagger tab has come off one boot. While I dont pamper my boots, I sure dont treat them so poorly that I would expect all of that to happen in less than a year of owning them. Pretty dissappointing. I have had a lot of issues with them, so if you are looking for a boot for hte long run i might look elsewhere. That being said, SP is very good about standing behind their products and are replacing mine.
    "I can't help but wonder,what would Jimmy Buffett do?"

Pretty sure I'm going to go with the Tredsteps and get them stretched. Need to go to Dover and try them on again and make sure they come up high enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Heineken View Post
    Pretty sure I'm going to go with the Tredsteps and get them stretched. Need to go to Dover and try them on again and make sure they come up high enough.
    Just double check with who would be doing the streching. Some places cant stretch zippered boots without removing the zipper. I havent looked into in several years, so this may have changed with the popularity of zippered boots.
    "I can't help but wonder,what would Jimmy Buffett do?"

Quote Originally Posted by Heineken View Post
    Dover (at least the store in NH) can mechanically stretch boots. It takes a week.

I have a fantastic shoe guy who stretched my old boots with zippers and did an awesome job. He isn't a horse person.