The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thanks! I guess it hasn't been as long as it seems to have been. I just worry about him foundering the other foot too.

Magic cushion is a great idea; I've had a lot of success with that stuff myself. Thanks for the suggestion!

Yepper, an abscess that does not drain all the way and closes back up can continue to be pretty darn painful.

Abscesses and founder/laminitis can often go hand in hand for a horse who has a history of founder/laminitis. When was the horse's last episode of laminitis/founder. If it was my personal horse I'd probably be cautious and treat as if the horse is having a laminitis/founder episode and treat the abscesses as they come.

Might be time for a second opinion since you haven't gotten any answers.

Did they do radiographs to rule out fracture. I would probably haul to a big vet clinic for a second opinion. I hope it is just an abscess.

X rays were done early on. The vet is from a big clinic. The farrier has a lot of experience with laminitis and this horse's past and is stumped. Horse is walking on his toe...the problem is in his heel, so I think that is why laminitis has been more or less ruled out. I believe the last episode was over the summer.

I am hoping it is an abscess..horse is probably close to 30 and has several other health issues.

Thanks for the replies!

My horse is finally sound again after 4 weeks off for an abscess out his front left frog. Abscess recovery is never quick for my thin, flat soled guy. I'm luck if we only lose 4 weeks...