The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How well do you know your farrier?

Our farrier visits are always fun and upbeat with lots of conversation and the usual banter. This fall we came up with the idea of producing a photo calendar profiling what we see most of our farriers....their backside!! It is true though right...we spend most of the time holding our horses and talking to our farriers backside. So, the conversation then morphed into the idea that we could produce a calendar with backside photos of all our local farriers and have a contest to see how well you know your farrier - in essence can you pick out yours. The proceeds from the calender sales could go to a local charity such as an equine rescue league, or other charity of choice.

I must admit that while I may have good ideas, I never seem to follow them through. So, this morning I was pleasantly surprised to get a new calendar from said farrier with 8 numbered "backside" shots. The contest is to choose which photo is "our" farrier with the prize being a subscription to a hoof magazine.

Anyways just a thought for a lighthearted way to potentially generate some revenue for a local charity....

8 members found this post helpful.

Hilarous ...and a great idea!

Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

HAHA! What fun! (And so true..)

Hilarious! I've known my farrier for 11 years but very much doubt I would be able to pick his backside out of a lineup. I guess I'm old, or unobservant, or I'm usually too busy cleaning out stud holes or trimming bits of pads for him--I try to earn my keep on farrier day!

But I love the chit-chat, the gossip, his breeding stories (he breeds his own horses using his eye and choosing horses he likes, simple!) the jokes and tall tales and we have gotten to be good friends--he began eventing about 5 or 6 years ago, partially (I like to think) due to my telling him all the great stories of great times I've had, and he now fairly frequently beats the pants off me at my own game!
    Click here before you buy.

Could your farrier pick your horse's feet out of a lineup?

2 members found this post helpful.

I'll bet mine could. He's been with me for 15 years, doing the same horses, many since they were foals.

Mine would be able to pick my boys feet for sure!!! He knew who shod my friends horse by just walking by him!! My farrier also is awesome!

OP..oh, I wish I could get a copy of the calendar. I'll contribute just to see it.

My farrier would just crack up...pardon the pun.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bloomer View Post
    Can *you* (the owner) pick out your horses prints in the mud!

crack up...ooooooooooooh, groan.

1 members found this post helpful.

Ok Sid, will see if I can get an electronic copy to show. And in answer to Tom, I am completely confident that my farrier could pick my horses feet out of a line-up....good question though!!

I was telling my farrier about how my ex-boyfriend after our first date was asked by a friend what color my eyes were and he didn't know... so my mom pipes up with "what color are Jeff's (farrier) eyes, Fourmares?"... and I guessed completely the wrong color even though he'd been my farrier for 15 years or so... I was a bit embarrassed, but nevertheless, said, "Well I'm not usually looking at that end of him!"

Actually, I saw this happen once. Old farrier Gerald, now retired, got out of his truck at a barn, looked at a horse he'd not seen in 3 or more years, and named that horse and the barn he used to be at. Of course horse had profoundly clubbed feet in front that Gerald had shaped up when horse was a foal. But I was impressed!

Could Gerald or our farrier Darian ID my horses' hooves? Well, one has 4 whites with a double stripe down one hoof, in addition to 4 white stockings and size 3 shoes in front and size 2 shoes in back. Pretty unique for around here. Other horse has 4 tiny size 0 hooves and 3 white socks, so I guess farrier(s) could nail any guess-whose-hooves-contest with my 2.

As for farrier's rear ends, both Gerald and Darian have tiny rears, so I don't know about identifying them in a contest. Besides, it's the other side of any man that a woman should be more concerned about. However, I did make a "butt ID" once: Years after I had gone with a guy from back home, I and my then boyfriend were heading to the lake, and he had to stop and get some paperwork from a lawyer. I wasn't paying any attention, as my dog was waiting in the car, so I did not look at the name of the lawyer on the door. We went in, sat down and waited. Lawyer comes out while I'm reading a magazine, and bends over by my guy showing him some documents. I look up and recognize my old boyfriend's rear end. Of course he'd showed it to me for 2 or 3 years while we were in law school, so I could recognize that rear end anywhere.

One of my friends in Atlanta had been a corporate wife in NYC when her 2nd husband worked for Parker Brothers. She learned all the wives vs. husbands games up there. She used to have parties in Atlanta where we had to ID our dates/husbands by their legs. We were blindfolded and the guys had to bare their legs, and we had to feel them to ID them. I never could guess right on that game.

I could probably guess mine! He's been my farrier since 2004 and has a rather nice back side. I've heard it referred to as "the best butt in the west" though not by me!

The front side of him is cute too! He and DH have been friends for about, ohhh, 10 years or so? He came to our wedding after I told him he could wear jeans. DH pouted a little bit because he wanted to wear jeans too, but I nixed that .
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

I couldn't pick my farrier's backside out of a line-up even if I was using [ahem] a flash card. .............

A few years ago, friends were comparing their cute farrier butts (with permission of course) so I took a fun pic of my (happens to be a woman) farrier at the time. It was pretty funny.

Anyway...I know my (old) farrier pretty well. Was at her wedding and have played plenty o' poker. She's the one who taught me to trim. Is really coming in handy now that I'm 800 miles away.

And she does have a mighty fine posterior. LOL
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

My farrier would absolutely pick out mine, mare's little 0 shoes with the toe clips are pretty distinctive.

There are three farriers at our barn - I know I can tell the work of each of them at a glance of a horse's feet. But I no longer look at their butt's - learned that lesson the hard way. The last one I looked at many, many years ago is right now sitting in my living room yelling at the hockey game, but won't shoe horses anymore.
    “You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take.” - Wayne Gretsky

6 members found this post helpful.

Ohhh, I could certainly pick mine out, he's a cutie!
    Quarry Rat