The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spin-off/Pentosan frequency after loading dose?

We did the loading dose through about Christmas, and I gave the first follow-up two weeks later. I am planning to go every 2 weeks at this point. My mare has some arthritis in a fetlock, is 16, we do pretty adventurous, long trail rides (but she hasn't been ridden out since her symptoms increased dramatically in October). The joint was injected late November, so it's a bit hard to determine which treatment caused how much improvement. Anyway, how often do you give the shots, after the loading dose?

For my mare my vet advised me to give it every 4 weeks. I can definitely tell a difference at about week 3 into the fourth week, then I give the next shot and she's great a day or two after again.

4 wks now. And it really took ~ 5mths into to get full benefit and roughly 3-4wks during the loading month before I notice much improvement.

For one of my old dogs I notice improvement about 4 days after the 1st dose.

Did you go straight to four weeks, or did you slowly space it out? Since several people had mentioned noticing deterioration after the 3rd week, I figured I'd start more frequent, then space them out, rather than the other way around.

I did the loading dose then went to every 3 weeks for my older retired guy. I think it helps him even though he is still only pasture sound.

Quote Originally Posted by katyb View Post
    Did you go straight to four weeks, or did you slowly space it out? Since several people had mentioned noticing deterioration after the 3rd week, I figured I'd start more frequent, then space them out, rather than the other way around.
    Yes, 4 weekly doses and then at once a month every month after that.

No deterioration observed here like you mentioned. My horse improved very slowly over months. I was told by a couple friends to be willing to use this months and not weeks. But I have to say at 1st I was dissapointed. He did not improve like the other horses I saw it work on early on. But I am very happy I stuck with it. After somewhere around 4 mths the improvement was exponential. He runs around like a 2yr old again. Shakes his head and kicks up his heels.

Tho I have not seen grand improvement from 2 of the 3 dogs I will continue to use it for a full 6 mths before I make a final choice. For the other old girl (dog) it was very obvious and fast. She is no longer so stiff when she gets up. But trots around and does a happy dance at meal time. Have not seen that in a couple years!

I am not sure there is one clear schedule that works for every horse. I see people here and people there using modified schedules. Can only tell you what I know worked for my horse and dog. Whether it helps the other 2 dogs remains to be seen. You should chat with your vet about frequency and dosing if you are not satisfied with the results.

We did the loading dose through about Christmas, and I gave the first follow-up two weeks later. I am planning to go every 2 weeks at this point. My mare has some arthritis in a fetlock, is 16, we do pretty adventurous, long trail rides (but she hasn't been ridden out since her symptoms increased dramatically in October). The joint was injected late November, so it's a bit hard to determine which treatment caused how much improvement. Anyway, how often do you give the shots, after the loading dose?
    I did the loading dose in December and have just gone to twice a month. My horse had a fetlock chip removed. The vet noticed some ringbone in that foot when he did the x-rays so I've decided to try the Pentosan.

I don't know if it's having an effect on the DJD in the front or if the improvement is all from having the chip removed but he does seem to be moving better in general. It's worth it to me keep him on it for now.

Quote Originally Posted by D Taylor View Post
    Yes, 4 weekly doses and then at once a month every month after that.

No deterioration observed here like you mentioned. My horse improved very slowly over months. I was told by a couple friends to be willing to use this months and not weeks. But I have to say at 1st I was dissapointed. He did not improve like the other horses I saw it work on early on. But I am very happy I stuck with it. After somewhere around 4 mths the improvement was exponential. He runs around like a 2yr old again. Shakes his head and kicks up his heels.

Tho I have not seen grand improvement from 2 of the 3 dogs I will continue to use it for a full 6 mths before I make a final choice. For the other old girl (dog) it was very obvious and fast. She is no longer so stiff when she gets up. But trots around and does a happy dance at meal time. Have not seen that in a couple years!

I am not sure there is one clear schedule that works for every horse. I see people here and people there using modified schedules. Can only tell you what I know worked for my horse and dog. Whether it helps the other 2 dogs remains to be seen. You should chat with your vet about frequency and dosing if you are not satisfied with the results.
    By deterioration, I mean that people have mentioned that they could tell it was time for the next dose, which I assume means some increased lameness or symptoms. I'd like to avoid that, and see only the improvement. I am not particularly worried about side effects, but I obviously don't want to go too frequent either. Jet has done well with it, I think, although she had the fetlock injected, so it's hard to know for sure which treatment did what. I did wait until two weeks after the joint injection to start, and she has improved more since then. My vet didn't know a think about pentosan, so I'm not sure she'll be a lot of help in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by mswillie View Post
    I did the loading dose in December and have just gone to twice a month. My horse had a fetlock chip removed. The vet noticed some ringbone in that foot when he did the x-rays so I've decided to try the Pentosan.

I don't know if it's having an effect on the DJD in the front or if the improvement is all from having the chip removed but he does seem to be moving better in general. It's worth it to me keep him on it for now.
    Did your vet suggest twice a month, or was that your call?

Did your vet suggest twice a month, or was that your call?
    My call with his approval. He's not used it himself much but is willing to prescribe it. I think he also wants to see how it works out.