The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Double Blanketing - for extreme weather?

This week temperatures are supposed to drop to -15 or more. I have a TB who lives outdoors and currently wears a liner, and 1 winter turnout with hood. I have a second winter turnout that I was thinking of adding this week (removing the liner of course). He is trace clipped and in work, so doesnt have a thick coat.

I know this is too much weigt for all winter, but for a short cold snap, is this appropriate? Each blanket is 300g fill. He is currently wearing 300g fill, with a 100g liner.

I double, triple, and quadruple layer as needed. I do what the horse needs. We have a cold (for us) day coming. My horse is a total wuss and will be probably have 4 layers on (a Baker stable rug, his 300g stable rug, his medium weight turnout, and his turnout sheet with hood to top it off. Most of the other horses will be double or triple layered, depending on their preferences and what they have in the way of clothing.

My older TB who is not clipped, not in work, will likely be sporting a fleece liner, 300g liner with belly band, and a 300g winter turnout with hood. It's supposed to get down to 0 with wind chill -20. I will also probably bed with straw on top of the shavings with all the hay he will eat.

Whatever they need to get the job done.

I finally pulled out the heavyweights yesterday for the first time. The one who I'm babysitting for the winter who doesn't have a heavy got a liner added under his midweight. Everyone's toasty-oasty and eating hay cheerfully this fine 15 degree morning!
    Click here before you buy.

-15*C (5*F), I'm presuming based on your location?
    For that I'll put neck covers on my guys who are wearing their medium or heavy weight turnouts. If they aren't clipped, that's usually plenty. I treat them all as individuals though and will add layers or change to heavier blankets if I stick my hand under their blanket and they don't feel warm. If there is wind, I will usually blanket to the temp including windchill.
    I can't wait for spring.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

It's still in the 30's here, but going into the low 20's tonight and tomorrow, and then single digits tomorrow night. I haven't blanketed at all so far this year, but the medium weight is going on tonight. She has a coat like a bear.

It was in the 50's yesterday and I did a very thorough, mud removing, complete groom...what are the odds she'll still be relatively clean tonight? I'm going with very low.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Quote Originally Posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
    This week temperatures are supposed to drop to -15 or more. I have a TB who lives outdoors and currently wears a liner, and 1 winter turnout with hood. I have a second winter turnout that I was thinking of adding this week (removing the liner of course). He is trace clipped and in work, so doesnt have a thick coat.

I know this is too much weigt for all winter, but for a short cold snap, is this appropriate? Each blanket is 300g fill. He is currently wearing 300g fill, with a 100g liner.
    That is pretty cold for Toronto! Sounds like that would keep him warm enough. Is there plenty of hay for him to eat as well? That'll help a lot. Are you guys supposed to be getting the wind as well?

My horse who gets cold easily and was in a trace clip, was just in his regular winter blanket, no neck cover in -15 or colder weather. He did just fine on it with hay 24/7.

It is in the low 20's at night and mid 30's during the day and my gelding has been double blanketed since November and he is in a stall with a small paddock. He is being worked 4-5 days a week and on lights so he doesn't grow a coat. He is wearing a stable blanket with a heavy weight on top of that plus a sleazy.

In your case I would leave the liner and add two turn outs. Check him several times a day if possible to make sure he doesn't get too warm during the day.
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

My mare is still in her midweight blanket, but has a good coat on her, does not work and comes in at night. I am more worried about the wind chill. She is out all day, but no shelter or wind break in her turnout. Not sure the horses will go out in blizzard conditions though, usually they would just go out during stall cleaning.
    BUT I may still go over and put her rain sheet on top of the midweight. Both Amigo XL. I would be worried she'd be too hot in the barn although she has two windows and is close to the door.
    Sigh... I hate this weather. It is WINTER but the temperatures keep acting like yoyos. Next week, back to above freezing... argh..

I just left my guy at the barn with a cooler under his midweight blanket. He does have a nice full coat but the bottom is going to fall out of the temps over the next three to four days.

I doubt I will work him until it gets back to the mid 30s later on the week.

Double, triple, whatever you have to do to keep them comfortable (with of course free-choice hay). I used to triple blanket my old TB (600g total) - he was a mess if it got below 50 so that's when I had to start blanketing (just one) and once the temps really dropped (single digits, wind chills way below zero) he get the multiple layers. He was perfectly content with all those layers. My mare will be double-blanketed (400g) with her Rambo Wug on top this week (temps in the teens with nasty windchills and snow forcasted). Whatever it takes to keep them comfortable .
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

My horse was always double-blanketed + hood when he was clipped. When it got to -20 C, he'd get three layers on.

Now I only double-blanket when it's colder than -25 C. He's in good weight, a pretty good coat on him, and has a new heavyweight blanket of 420g fill that keeps him toasty until -25 C or so. Then he gets his heavyweight over top of a mediumweight, plus hood.

Yes, its apparently going to be quite frigid here, betwee -19 and -25 overnights this week. He is trace clipped, so does have some coat, but he also drops weight fast if he doest stay warm. He has access to good quality hay 24/7 and is heard leader so he has no problem eating when he wants. He looks like a marshmellow, but Im glad he looks toasty warm

As long as the blankets/sheets don't bind and fit on top of one another-- I double. Tonight we're dropping down and until mid-week it's going to be the coldest it's been all winter. I threw a sheet on top of their heavies and will add a fleece layer on the bottom if I need to.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I layer as necessary, which isn't often, not more than 2 garments

You MUST remember that depending on the cut, you could really be putting some uncomfortable weight around the withers. 1 medium, or 1 heavy weight blanket sitting on the withers might be fine, but if you start layering, 12+ hours of that could make them very sore.

Layer lighter on heavier, not the other way around, for maximum warmth. A heavier (physically) blanket on top of a lighter one is going to squish the lighter one. But a lighter on heavier will allow some air space which then traps heat, and the combo of the heavier, air, and lighter is warmer than lighter squished under heavier.